The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 12:03pm
Back from the DL

Sliding on the floor -- NCAA-M

I sat behind the table of an NCAA (D-III) men's game at the university where I teach. I only know the NFHS rule book, so this exchange confused me a bit:

Loose ball on the floor. V-1 dives for it, grabs the ball, and his momentum causes him to slide. The H bench (and much of the crowd) wants a travel. V-1 passes the ball to V-2, and we play on. The H bench is still protesting.

H HC: "He can't slide with the ball like that!"
Official: (shakes head) "He didn't slide!"

Not sure why the official said that. There was clearly a slide, but does it matter? My question is, isn't the NCAA-M rule regarding this the same as that in NFHS?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Same rule.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
H HC: "He can't slide with the ball like that!"
Official: (shakes head) "He didn't slide!"
Sounds as though the official didn't know the rule, either.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, same rule in in both.....slide, tumble, roll are all legal as part of the dive for the ball. Once the momentum from the dive ceases, a roll or a slide becomes a travel. I know some officials that insist otherwise and will call an initial slide/roll a travel but the rules/cases do not support their interpretation.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yep, same rule in in both.....slide, tumble, roll are all legal as part of the dive for the ball. Once the momentum from the dive ceases, a roll or a slide becomes a travel. I know some officials that insist otherwise and will call an initial slide/roll a travel but the rules/cases do not support their interpretation.
I don't have my books with me or I'd look it up, but I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation. I may be wrong.

It was my understanding that when diving for a loose ball, if your momentum causes you to slide, then there's no call. However, I thought that any roll, slide, or tumble from front to back or vice versa would be a travel.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I don't have my books with me or I'd look it up, but I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation. I may be wrong.

It was my understanding that when diving for a loose ball, if your momentum causes you to slide, then there's no call. However, I thought that any roll, slide, or tumble from front to back or vice versa would be a travel.
You are wrong. If the roll is part of the momentum, it's allowed.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You are wrong. If the roll is part of the momentum, it's allowed.
Do you care to cite a rule or casebook play which makes this clear?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you care to cite a rule or casebook play which makes this clear?
There's two, but I can only think of one verbatim right now.

Under traveling or not it says: Once A1 is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
There's two, but I can only think of one verbatim right now.

Under traveling or not it says: Once A1 is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over.
4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without *violating?

RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without *violating?

RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)
I guess I don't necessarily agree that this clause gives A1 permission to roll over with the ball. I mean, let's say they grab the ball and slide first and then roll. Once they start rolling, they are no longer sliding.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess I don't necessarily agree that this clause gives A1 permission to roll over with the ball. I mean, let's say they grab the ball and slide first and then roll. Once they start rolling, they are no longer sliding.
If there is still forward momentum, they are still sliding.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with your opinion on the sliding rule. If they roll over while sliding, they are gaining a big advantage. I don't think they meant to imply that while you're sliding you can roll over, even though taken literally, that is what it reads.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The point in that case is that they can't roll after they stop moving from the initial dive. The hustle to get the loose ball, and all that comes with it, are being encouraged. Slide, tumble, roll....it doesn't matter. Once they settle, the limitations are in effect.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The point in that case is that they can't roll after they stop moving from the initial dive. The hustle to get the loose ball, and all that comes with it, are being encouraged. Slide, tumble, roll....it doesn't matter. Once they settle, the limitations are in effect.
This too, is my takeaway. I can't find any other wording in the rule book or casebook that indicates otherwise. I other words, I haven't found anything that sets limitations on actions during the initial slide and subsequent momentum. Only once that player is at rest do the limitations come into place.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2016, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
If there is still forward momentum, they are still sliding.
Not if they're rolling. YOu're either sliding or you're rolling. I don't see how you can do both at the same time. I'd be interested in seeing video of someone doing both.