The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sliding on the floor -- NCAA-M (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100840-sliding-floor-ncaa-m.html)

bainsey Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:03pm

Sliding on the floor -- NCAA-M

I sat behind the table of an NCAA (D-III) men's game at the university where I teach. I only know the NFHS rule book, so this exchange confused me a bit:

Loose ball on the floor. V-1 dives for it, grabs the ball, and his momentum causes him to slide. The H bench (and much of the crowd) wants a travel. V-1 passes the ball to V-2, and we play on. The H bench is still protesting.

H HC: "He can't slide with the ball like that!"
Official: (shakes head) "He didn't slide!"

Not sure why the official said that. There was clearly a slide, but does it matter? My question is, isn't the NCAA-M rule regarding this the same as that in NFHS?

bob jenkins Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:14pm

Same rule.

JetMetFan Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 979890)
H HC: "He can't slide with the ball like that!"
Official: (shakes head) "He didn't slide!"

Sounds as though the official didn't know the rule, either.

Camron Rust Sun Feb 07, 2016 02:52pm

Yep, same rule in in both.....slide, tumble, roll are all legal as part of the dive for the ball. Once the momentum from the dive ceases, a roll or a slide becomes a travel. I know some officials that insist otherwise and will call an initial slide/roll a travel but the rules/cases do not support their interpretation.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Feb 08, 2016 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 979907)
Yep, same rule in in both.....slide, tumble, roll are all legal as part of the dive for the ball. Once the momentum from the dive ceases, a roll or a slide becomes a travel. I know some officials that insist otherwise and will call an initial slide/roll a travel but the rules/cases do not support their interpretation.

I don't have my books with me or I'd look it up, but I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation. I may be wrong.

It was my understanding that when diving for a loose ball, if your momentum causes you to slide, then there's no call. However, I thought that any roll, slide, or tumble from front to back or vice versa would be a travel.

bob jenkins Mon Feb 08, 2016 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 980017)
I don't have my books with me or I'd look it up, but I'm not sure I agree with your interpretation. I may be wrong.

It was my understanding that when diving for a loose ball, if your momentum causes you to slide, then there's no call. However, I thought that any roll, slide, or tumble from front to back or vice versa would be a travel.

You are wrong. If the roll is part of the momentum, it's allowed.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Feb 08, 2016 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 980022)
You are wrong. If the roll is part of the momentum, it's allowed.

Do you care to cite a rule or casebook play which makes this clear?

Dad Mon Feb 08, 2016 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 980026)
Do you care to cite a rule or casebook play which makes this clear?

There's two, but I can only think of one verbatim right now.

Under traveling or not it says: Once A1 is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over.

Geof Mon Feb 08, 2016 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 980028)
There's two, but I can only think of one verbatim right now.

Under traveling or not it says: Once A1 is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over.

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without *violating?

RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Feb 08, 2016 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geof (Post 980037)
4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without *violating?

RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

I guess I don't necessarily agree that this clause gives A1 permission to roll over with the ball. I mean, let's say they grab the ball and slide first and then roll. Once they start rolling, they are no longer sliding.

SNIPERBBB Mon Feb 08, 2016 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 980039)
I guess I don't necessarily agree that this clause gives A1 permission to roll over with the ball. I mean, let's say they grab the ball and slide first and then roll. Once they start rolling, they are no longer sliding.

If there is still forward momentum, they are still sliding.

Smitty Mon Feb 08, 2016 02:56pm

Quote:

I agree with your opinion on the sliding rule. If they roll over while sliding, they are gaining a big advantage. I don't think they meant to imply that while you're sliding you can roll over, even though taken literally, that is what it reads.

Camron Rust Mon Feb 08, 2016 03:01pm

Quote:

The point in that case is that they can't roll after they stop moving from the initial dive. The hustle to get the loose ball, and all that comes with it, are being encouraged. Slide, tumble, roll....it doesn't matter. Once they settle, the limitations are in effect.

Geof Mon Feb 08, 2016 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 980044)
The point in that case is that they can't roll after they stop moving from the initial dive. The hustle to get the loose ball, and all that comes with it, are being encouraged. Slide, tumble, roll....it doesn't matter. Once they settle, the limitations are in effect.

This too, is my takeaway. I can't find any other wording in the rule book or casebook that indicates otherwise. I other words, I haven't found anything that sets limitations on actions during the initial slide and subsequent momentum. Only once that player is at rest do the limitations come into place.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Feb 08, 2016 05:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 980040)
If there is still forward momentum, they are still sliding.

Not if they're rolling. YOu're either sliding or you're rolling. I don't see how you can do both at the same time. I'd be interested in seeing video of someone doing both.