The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 06, 2016, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I say "end line." It's become habit. I would never correct or think to correct anyone who says baseline. Funny enough, I was speaking at some thing a while back and someone came up and said, "I knew right away when you said 'end line' that you knew what you were talking about." Not really.

There are things that make my skin crawl..."reach", "over the back", "on the floor." I have partners that say these phrases and I've cringed silently and mentioned it once in a while to ones that I know would take it the right way.

But requesting and calling for a time out? Please.
My thoughts exactly....on every point.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2016, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thank God nobody called timeout from the baseline.

Funny you mention it, today I actually had a parent try to call timeout for his kid when he went to the floor.. Gotta love rec league
Old Sat Feb 06, 2016, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

If a head coach requests a timeout, but you know that he does not have any left, do you grant it anyways and then assess the technical foul , or do you just ignore the request and save the headache of the technical foul?
Old Sat Feb 06, 2016, 11:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Grant it. Not your job.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2016, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Grant it, it is their job to know how many they have.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
If a head coach requests a timeout, but you know that he does not have any left, do you grant it anyways and then assess the technical foul , or do you just ignore the request and save the headache of the technical foul?
What headache?

And, maybe the coach wants the T because he'd rather have the clock stopped (after scoring to cut the deficit to 1, with less than 5 seconds left, for example).
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Of all the technical fouls, this is the least likely to result in headaches.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 11:59am
Administrator

Last night MTD, Jr., and I had players from the Home Team request a TO in the 4th QT without being instructed to make the request by their HC. Both times it was in a trap situation in the team's backcourt.

In the 34 years that I officiated women's college basketball it was not unusual for a player to make the request in the 1970s and early 1980s, but it seemed that once the NCAA took over the rules writing duties from NAGWS it became more and more a very rare occurrence. And I really cannot remember it happening in any game after the 1990s.

But at least a couple of times a year at the H.S. level a player will make the request without being told by his/her HC. So it was surprising to have it happen twice in one quarter last night by the same team and different players.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 01:13pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Really, what is the difference between calling a time-out and requesting a time-out?
Last I checked, the only ones who could make calls on the floor were us.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 01:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Really, what is the difference between calling a time-out and requesting a time-out? Either way you phrase it is the same to me, the time-out only comes into effect when the call or request for a time-out is granted.
I think it matters because when a player or coach yells "time-out" they think that it must be granted the minute they make the request. They even get mad if you do not give the request the minute they form the words. So I know it is not a big deal to us, but it can be misinterpreted IMO what others think.

I had a kid the other day in a college game yell timeout when it was just me and him standing next to each other and the ball was on the other side of the court. I had absolutely no clean view of possession and the ball was less than 6 feet away from the official who eventually granted the timeout after a rebound.

I understand we are paying the semantics game on some level, but it is a pretty big semantic. I have almost as many "arguments" over a timeout and when they said made the request than I do over just about any other aspect of the game outside of fouls.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 01:42pm
AremRed

If we can only grant a timeout to a player in the game or head coach why do all the refs in my area ask the head coaches before the game if they are calling their own timeouts?
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 01:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Don't Say ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Of all the technical fouls, this is the least likely to result in headaches.
Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

Calvin Coolidge once said, "The things I did not say never hurt me." Of course, he was not talking about basketball, but many officials would be smart to heed his sage advice as they communicate with coaches, and players.

Good communication skills are important tools to have on any official’s tool belt. Good communication with a partner, with a player, or with a coach, can go a long way to maintaining control of the game, having good game management, and having a smooth game. Sometimes this communication takes place in oral form, talking to players, or coaches, in some cases to explain a ruling, or in other cases to prevent a violation, or a foul. However, probably for reasons of tradition, there have been things that officials often, or sometimes, say during a game that do not have any basis in the rules, and should probably not be said in a game. This article will cover some of those “best left unsaid” statements.

"Coach, you have one timeout left", is a courtesy often extended by officials to coaches, when, by rule, officials should only be notifying head coaches when their team has been granted its final allowable timeout. If there is any miscommunication, or mistake, involving the table crew reporting remaining timeouts, then the officials, by rule, need to stay out of the conversation. Let the coaches, and table crew, communicate about remaining timeouts, other than when a team has been granted its final allowable timeout, which by rule, is required to be reported to the coach by the officials.

Finally, a thought by Will Rogers, “Never miss a good chance to shut up.”
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 02:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Timeout Signal ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I had players from the Home Team request a TO ...
Players never request timeouts around here. I had a player request a timeout last week. When I went to report the timeout to the table couldn't remember whether, or not, to single the player's number to the scorekeeper. I decided to just verbalize the number with no hand signal, so as to not confuse the scorekeeper into adding a foul to the player's total. Around here we signal a coach's request with our fingers in the shape of a "C". Do we have to signal a player's number?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 07, 2016 at 02:11pm.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
If we can only grant a timeout to a player in the game or head coach why do all the refs in my area ask the head coaches before the game if they are calling their own timeouts?
Why would you ask the coach such a question?

It sounds rather unique to your area. The rule is clear who can and who cannot make a request.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 07, 2016, 02:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We've All Heard It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Same reason they state that it's the black line all the way around, ask for a speaking captain, ask the number of the speaking captain, ask if the speaking captain is starting, etc.