The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Reduced Time-out NFHS VS CCA

Saturday night, NAIA level, team up 25 wanting subs in the game, so they call time out and say we are ready. The opposing coach wants to take the timeout and I know that nfhs would allow this but CCA doesn't. It says it can be a reduced timeout if the calling team is ready. So I go over and tell the coach that we are ready, and he goes on about that was a fast 75 seconds, blah, blah. Then a few minutes later it happens again, coach still complaining about not getting to use the timeout to rest.

My question, does reduced time out actually mean as soon as the calling team is ready, the time out is over? Pretty sure that is how I understand it, just didn't want to be doing something that I shoudln't. The game was fun, lot of 3's and lots of dunks, by one team anyways, ended up 95-51, fun first regular season CCA game.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

If the timeout is just for subs, then give that signal, get the subs in and resume play immediately.

If the timeout is NOT just for subs, then it can be shortened at the request of the coach or captain of the requesting team. Once that request is given, sound the first horn, wait 15 second, then sound the second horn to resume play.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

There is no substitution mechanic on the men's side.

But yes the calling team can shorten the timeout.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

That was my question, immediate or blow the horn and give them the 15 seconds. Thanks
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 10:23am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
There is no substitution mechanic on the men's side.
There used to be. Are you saying that it's been removed from the manual? I'll have to check when I get home later.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
There used to be. Are you saying that it's been removed from the manual? I'll have to check when I get home later.
It was not in the manual for men last year, it was for women.

RULE 5 / SCORINGANDTIMING REGULATIONS

Art. 14. Shortened timeouts: a. The team that requests a timeout may shorten that timeout when the captain/head coach notifies the official of the team’s intent. Exception: the first team called timeout of the second half or extra period in a game involving electronic-media timeout format as in
5-13.10.d.1.

b. When a request is made to shorten any timeout for a substitution(s), the signal for shortening a timeout shall be given and play shall be resumed immediately. c. In games involving the electronic-media timeout format, when a timeout has been recognized to be shortened for the sole purpose of making substitutions and the timeout causes the first dead ball after one of the specified time marks for electronic-media timeouts (15-, 10-, 5- or 16-, 12-, 8-, 4-minutes), that timeout shall become an electronic-media timeout. d. When a request has been made to shorten any timeout for a purpose other than for substitution(s), a warning horn shall be sounded immediately
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

So if it is just for subs, it's immediate, if it's for anything else they would get their 15 seconds after the horn sounds letting them know we have a shortened time out according to 5-13.10.1.b Thanks
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Just because I know you're all inerested, under FIBA (or feeble as some of you call it) rules there is no shortening for subs (or any other reason) both teams are required to stay in their team bench area for the duration of the time-out. FIBA time-outs are all 60 seconds in duration and can only be granted during a dead ball period.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Memories, Like the corners of my mind, Misty watercolor memories, Of the way we were

Old time NFHS officials may remember a time when the team requesting, and being charged, with the timeout could decide how "short" the timeout would be. If Team A requested, and was granted a time out, and they were all 60 seconds back then, and if Team A was ready to play after 10 seconds, then both teams had to come out of their huddle and be ready to play after that ten seconds. Fellow old timers, when did the rule change? I don't have time to look it up, I'm still looking for my keys.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)