The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 02, 2016, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes, this rule is badly worded. It should say something else. But what else? Either of the suggested wordings create bad interpretation opportunities.

Perhaps it should say "next to receive a pass".
but if the ball is just loose and the returning player touches it -- it wasn't a "pass" but it's still a violation.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2016, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

I learned, not to long ago, to agree with Bob and that he's rarely wrong (anyone have proof otherwise?).
Old Tue Feb 02, 2016, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
but if the ball is just loose and the returning player touches it -- it wasn't a "pass" but it's still a violation.
Isn't it the pass they are trying to make illegal? Is a player ever getting an advantage by going OOB and happening to come back in where there is a loose ball with no one else around? Likely in a corner.

The play most often seen is when that player run OOB to get free and pops back inbounds in the corner to receive a pass while undefended for an open shot.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2016, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

I agree the pass is the play most often seen.

I believe both are illegal (assuming the player is OOB of his / her own volition)
Old Tue Feb 02, 2016, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA-Men, if a player's momentum carries him out of bounds, can he be the first to touch the ball once he establishes two feet back in bounds? Most of the discussion so far concerns a player who intentionally goes out of bounds.

This happened in the Baylor/Texas game yesterday (with 19:24 to go in the first half if anyone wants to post a video).
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
In NCAA-Men, if a player's momentum carries him out of bounds, can he be the first to touch the ball once he establishes two feet back in bounds? Most of the discussion so far concerns a player who intentionally goes out of bounds.

This happened in the Baylor/Texas game yesterday (with 19:24 to go in the first half if anyone wants to post a video).
Yes, the NFHS and NCAA rules on leaving due to momentum or while making a save are the same. The player may return and legally get the ball.

This is different from leaving to run around a screen or avoid a defender.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1 foot back in bounds establishes the location of a player as long as they aren't simultaneously out of bounds with the other foot.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

So anything in bounds and nothing out establishes in bound status---- and he can be the first to touch. Right?
FWIW The announcers (not Jay Bilas this time) said he had to hop back in bounds and have both feet touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 12:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
So anything in bounds and nothing out establishes in bound status---- and he can be the first to touch. Right?
FWIW The announcers (not Jay Bilas this time) said he had to hop back in bounds and have both feet touch.

Correct

Never listen to the announcers when it comes to rules.

I've had partners make this call, though, so I really can't blame them.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Don't let talking heads make you doubt the rules or common sense.

Does it even sound credible that a player must have 2 feet on the court in order to touch the ball?
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Does it even sound credible that a player must have 2 feet on the court in order to touch the ball?
The officials are on the court. To the people listening many of them will find it credible.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 01:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
The officials are on the court. To the people listening many of them will find it credible.
DrPete is an official, so I'm not sure what point you are making. We are discussing this amongst officials, not fans.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I only work up to the high school level and didn't know if there was some slight difference in the NCAA rule set. I thought I could (somewhat) trust the commentators, Brent Musberger and Fran Fraschilla........ But I will stick to what I know and ignore the commentators from here on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 03, 2016, 02:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I only work up to the high school level and didn't know if there was some slight difference in the NCAA rule set. I thought I could (somewhat) trust the commentators, Brent Musberger and Fran Fraschilla........ But I will stick to what I know and ignore the commentators from here on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Trust your training when it comes to commentators.
Old Sat Feb 20, 2016, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

I'm confused on the result if have possession with 2 hands saving the ball, momentum taking player off the court and he leaves the ball on the court, goes out of bounds, then returns with one foot in bounds. can he be first to touch the ball in that scenario?

how about same situation but player was dribbling ball instead of just saving ball, is bumped by a teammate out of bounds and ball was left on court, then returns with one foot in the other in the air, can he be first to touch?

I've love to see both men's college and high school rule and quotation of the language. the high school books aren't online.

thanks
Closed Thread