The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Running out of bounds and returning (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100793-running-out-bounds-returning.html)

OfficialBFish Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:05pm

Running out of bounds and returning

Louisville vs NC, player sets screen along the baseline, another player comes off that screen while running out of bounds. He then clearly establishes both feet in bounds and then caught a pass. Referee blows whistle, points at baseline, and they give the ball to the defending team. Missed call?

Nevadaref Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfficialBFish (Post 979009)
Louisville vs NC, player sets screen along the baseline, another player comes off that screen while running out of bounds. He then clearly establishes both feet in bounds and then caught a pass. Referee blows whistle, points at baseline, and they give the ball to the defending team. Missed call?

Correct call. NCAA rule against doing exactly that. Leaving the court and being the first to touch the ball upon returning.

OfficialBFish Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 979010)
Correct call. NCAA rule against doing exactly that. Leaving the court and being the first to touch the ball upon returning.

Didn't know NCAA interpretation. Thanks

deecee Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfficialBFish (Post 979011)
Didn't know NCAA interpretation. Thanks

It's also a violation in HS.

Rich Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 979012)
It's also a violation in HS.

In HS the violation is for leaving, not touching the ball first after returning.

deecee Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 979013)
In HS the violation is for leaving, not touching the ball first after returning.

Yes, I made an assumption that the OP didn't know that either from his post.

OfficialBFish Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 979013)

So if the same situation happened in high school, what would be the ruling?

JRutledge Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:41pm

Do you have the time of the play in the game?

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfficialBFish (Post 979016)
So if the same situation happened in high school, what would be the ruling?

The violation would be whistled when the player steps out of bounds to go around the screen. The official wouldn't wait until he touched the ball after returning.
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 979017)
Do you have the time of the play in the game?

About 2:30 remaining in the second half.

JRutledge Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:41pm

Here you go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 979018)

About 2:30 remaining in the second half.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_AlrYZcFq-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

AremRed Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:51pm

Why the heck did Eades go opposite? I checked my NCAA-M manual and didn't see anything about going opposite on this or any other type of violation. He didn't call a technical according to the box score.

Nevadaref Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 979030)
Why the heck did Eades go opposite? I checked my NCAA-M manual and didn't see anything about going opposite on this or any other type of violation. He didn't call a technical according to the box score.

I found that confusing too. It made me think that he whistled for an illegal screen, but no foul was ever reported.

The crew was: Bryan Kersey, Mike Eades, Bill Covington Jr.

JRutledge Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:21pm

He probably was going to tell the coach about the violation and he kept going when the player started asking about the play. I would not have done that, but maybe his partner took his place and he just kept going.

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:29pm

The best that I can surmise is that his partner thought the call was an illegal screen (team control foul) and came to take his place so he went opposite.

JRutledge Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OfficialBFish (Post 979048)
Does it make any difference that he was the inbounder and never fully seemed to step in bounds after the throw in?

IMO, the thrower clearly steps from out of bounds and is right foot appears to be completely in-bounds and the left foot is in the air for a moment, then he goes out of bounds.

If he had never left the court, then this would be a Class B Technical Foul under Rule 10-4-1k. I think that is not what happened in this case.

Peace