The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

What a night

So Saturday night was our school's homecoming night.I guess I needed Pagett cause my JV girls game went dobule OT . The other 3 games all came down to the wire also.One thing I want to ask the wise sage's of the board-visiting varsity boys coaching staff asked me for the names of the officials so they could write a complaint to the area assignor.I refused and told them to talk to their AD who can pull the names from Arbiter.
Right move? Wrong move? No opinion?

Also how long is too long to pull the trigger on a bench technical foul? On several occasions (nearly a dozen) the entire visiting coaching staff (this guy had 4 assistants) were up yelling at the officials about foul calls and such.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
So Saturday night was our school's homecoming night.I guess I needed Pagett cause my JV girls game went dobule OT . The other 3 games all came down to the wire also.One thing I want to ask the wise sage's of the board-visiting varsity boys coaching staff asked me for the names of the officials so they could write a complaint to the area assignor.I refused and told them to talk to their AD who can pull the names from Arbiter.

Also how long is too long to pull the trigger on a bench technical foul? On several occasions (nearly a dozen) the entire visiting coaching staff (this guy had 4 assistants) were up yelling at the officials about foul calls and such.
You did the right thing by referring them to the AD.

As far as the bench technical, the first time I hear something from an assistant, I'm inclined to tell the HC to take care of his bench. The second time, I whack without hesitation. And if the first comment is bad enough, I'll whack without warning. There's no way I'm listening to a group of 4 ASSistants for ANY length of time.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:02pm
TODO: creative title here

My quote to a HC last week: "Coach, I will listen to you... (pointing to assistant) I will not listen to him"

AC didn't say anything after that... I only wish I'd have said it earlier.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
You did the right thing by referring them to the AD.

As far as the bench technical, the first time I hear something from an assistant, I'm inclined to tell the HC to take care of his bench. The second time, I whack without hesitation. And if the first comment is bad enough, I'll whack without warning. There's no way I'm listening to a group of 4 ASSistants for ANY length of time.
Agree..
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
First time I see this, I'm warning the HC (unless it's really bad).

After that, it's a T the very next time.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
First time I see this, I'm warning the HC (unless it's really bad).

After that, it's a T the very next time.
Guys & Gals, let's theorize for a moment on the potentials in this type of situation - this could be fun!

HC has been warned, then more than one assistant subsequently stands and yells at the officials about a call. You can clearly identify which assistants stood.

By rule, how are you going to handle this?
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The names should be in the scorebook. No reason for them to not have access to what is in the scorebook.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Guys & Gals, let's theorize for a moment on the potentials in this type of situation - this could be fun!

HC has been warned, then more than one assistant subsequently stands and yells at the officials about a call. You can clearly identify which assistants stood.

By rule, how are you going to handle this?
I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here, but I think I've got the basic gist.

By rule, you call a direct technical on each assistant that stood and yelled at the officials. The HC is charged with an indirect T for each of these technicals. If the number of TFs on the Assistants is 3 or more, then the HC is going to be ejected. 2 FTs for each TF on an assistant. Then the ball to the other team at the division line opposite the table.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at here, but I think I've got the basic gist.

By rule, you call a direct technical on each assistant that stood and yelled at the officials. The HC is charged with an indirect T for each of these technicals. If the number of TFs on the Assistants is 3 or more, then the HC is going to be ejected. 2 FTs for each TF on an assistant. Then the ball to the other team at the division line opposite the table.
Yep, that's exactly what I was getting at......
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But in reality this would only be the case if all 3 said something to earn a T, other wise I'm sticking one with a T. If it happens again I'm sticking one with a T again. I wouldn't dish out 3 T's here unless they each said "you're a @#$@# piece of @#$" or something to that effect. Then they are probably all gone, HC included. Game forfeit. I get to go home early. Not a bad finish actually.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 04:22pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The names should be in the scorebook. No reason for them to not have access to what is in the scorebook.
My thoughts as well. I know here in my state, we are required to sign each teams books, as well as our ID number.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
We never write our names in the scorebook, but the coaches have access to the Arbiter and who is assigned to their games by name and picture. That's how they can choose (during district play) to get different refs if they so choose.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 04:34pm
Stubborn Member

I'm wondering why in the World did you put up with the assistants like that?
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm wondering why in the World did you put up with the assistants like that?
Maybe because.....SCalScoreKeeper....was the scorekeeper...
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
But in reality this would only be the case if all 3 said something to earn a T, other wise I'm sticking one with a T. If it happens again I'm sticking one with a T again. I wouldn't dish out 3 T's here unless they each said "you're a @#$@# piece of @#$" or something to that effect. Then they are probably all gone, HC included. Game forfeit. I get to go home early. Not a bad finish actually.

"When the fans leave the stands and all hell breaks loose, my job is done."

Deecee 2014 or 15. Still makes me chuckle. I can't remember which year you said it.

Last edited by BigCat; Mon Feb 01, 2016 at 04:55pm.