The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Oh wise ones of the court...

Give me your thoughts.

In the girls varsity game I called last Friday between two private schools. we had a situation about mid-way through the 4th quarter. The gym only held about 300 in the stands but the running track around the top was three deep...and the place was loud. Nobody was ejected so there was no need for me to file a report.

I was at trail, table-side, (with 8 of the players on that side of the court) when there was a quick cross-court pass and the player for the home team drove the basket from the C primary area. There was a foul called on #45 from the visiting team by the C…I think it was a double whistle (L and C) but not sure. The game had started getting “a little chippy” and the crew had called several fouls in a fairly short period of time so after the foul was called I just stepped down and watched everyone while the foul was reported rather than immediately start moving to the other side (remember, almost all of the players were table side). This was the 5th foul on the visiting team player and as she started walking toward their bench she used her arms to “pump up” the fans of her school. I made immediate eye contact with her and said “Don’t do that” as I shook my head no. About the same time, someone from their bench behind me said “Just get off the floor.” Given the noise in the gym she may not have heard the words but I know she saw me. She then looked me in the eye and did it again. I immediately assessed an unsporting technical.

After the initial foul was reported, I moved next to the table and reported the T (or at least started reporting it). The head coach for the visiting team immediately started protesting the call. After I finished reporting I answered his “what did she do” question and told him that I would not let anyone incite the crowd, especially after a warning, and in my opinion that is what she was doing. He commented that it “was a district game” and suggested that I look at the score…then added we should let “the players decide it.” I told him she had made a decision and we were finished discussing it. Before I could go tell my partner at L what we needed to do he said “So you’re going to decide the game?” I looked at him and said “Coach, don’t go there. We’re done.” However, he immediately said “So you have decided who will win.” With that, I called a T on the coach of the visiting team and successfully made my “escape”, told the partners what we had and moved to the other side of the floor.

At the time all this happened, the visiting team was up by 6. The shooter for the home team hit all 6 free-throws, then they made a basket after the throw-in to take the lead. Home team called a time-out a few seconds later when the ball went off them out-of-bounds. We got together as a crew, discussed the situation and finished the game without further incident (home team won by 3 after visiting team missed two 3-point attempts in the last 10 seconds).

A few minutes ago the head coach of the visiting team left me a voicemail. He asked that I give him a call so we can discuss the technical that were called. I am of the opinion he knows why they were called and I have nothing to gain be continuing the conversation.

I would like your opinion on if you think I am correct in not wanting to call him. I also welcome your feedback on the above sequence of events…understanding you were not there and only have “my version”.

I have sent this message (except with actual school names) to our association President wanting his input and will wait to here from him...but I would still like input here.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Give me your thoughts.

In the girls varsity game I called last Friday between two private schools. we had a situation about mid-way through the 4th quarter. The gym only held about 300 in the stands but the running track around the top was three deep...and the place was loud. Nobody was ejected so there was no need for me to file a report.

I was at trail, table-side, (with 8 of the players on that side of the court) when there was a quick cross-court pass and the player for the home team drove the basket from the C primary area. There was a foul called on #45 from the visiting team by the C…I think it was a double whistle (L and C) but not sure. The game had started getting “a little chippy” and the crew had called several fouls in a fairly short period of time so after the foul was called I just stepped down and watched everyone while the foul was reported rather than immediately start moving to the other side (remember, almost all of the players were table side). This was the 5th foul on the visiting team player and as she started walking toward their bench she used her arms to “pump up” the fans of her school. I made immediate eye contact with her and said “Don’t do that” as I shook my head no. About the same time, someone from their bench behind me said “Just get off the floor.” Given the noise in the gym she may not have heard the words but I know she saw me. She then looked me in the eye and did it again. I immediately assessed an unsporting technical.

After the initial foul was reported, I moved next to the table and reported the T (or at least started reporting it). The head coach for the visiting team immediately started protesting the call. After I finished reporting I answered his “what did she do” question and told him that I would not let anyone incite the crowd, especially after a warning, and in my opinion that is what she was doing. He commented that it “was a district game” and suggested that I look at the score…then added we should let “the players decide it.” I told him she had made a decision and we were finished discussing it. Before I could go tell my partner at L what we needed to do he said “So you’re going to decide the game?” I looked at him and said “Coach, don’t go there. We’re done.” However, he immediately said “So you have decided who will win.” With that, I called a T on the coach of the visiting team and successfully made my “escape”, told the partners what we had and moved to the other side of the floor.

At the time all this happened, the visiting team was up by 6. The shooter for the home team hit all 6 free-throws, then they made a basket after the throw-in to take the lead. Home team called a time-out a few seconds later when the ball went off them out-of-bounds. We got together as a crew, discussed the situation and finished the game without further incident (home team won by 3 after visiting team missed two 3-point attempts in the last 10 seconds).

A few minutes ago the head coach of the visiting team left me a voicemail. He asked that I give him a call so we can discuss the technical that were called. I am of the opinion he knows why they were called and I have nothing to gain be continuing the conversation.

I would like your opinion on if you think I am correct in not wanting to call him. I also welcome your feedback on the above sequence of events…understanding you were not there and only have “my version”.

I have sent this message (except with actual school names) to our association President wanting his input and will wait to here from him...but I would still like input here.
If you have his email, you could email him and say if he has any questions regarding the game or the calls that were made, to direct them through your association. You have absolutely nothing to gain by calling him back.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:28pm
Esteemed Participant

Do not call him back unless you can make it a conference call with your Association President or Assignor, and the AD of the school all involved. Having a one-on-one conversation only opens you up to a "he said this" headache.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:29pm
TODO: creative title here

I wouldn't return his phone call... the upside of doing so in nonexistent, the downside is potentially huge.

Make sure your assigner/associating/local PTB are aware of the situation, and leave it at that.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would immediately inform the assigner and his AD. He has no business even having your phone number, IMO.

And you're right, he knows why they were called.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I would immediately inform the assigner and his AD. He has no business even having your phone number, IMO.

And you're right, he knows why they were called.
Well...we use The Arbiter and they can see the officials assigned to their games and have contact information just in case something happens on game day. It isn't always feasible to actually speak to the assignor and have him make sure the officials know of a problem with the game (or site).
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

When you say "pump up the crowd" what do you mean?
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the technical fouls called here especially after they've been warned.As to answering the coach's voicemail-Absolutely Not to me this opens a huge can of worms if we talk to coaches about games away from the court.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

There is absolutely no way I am getting on a phone call with him. Period. I don't care if there are other people on a conference line, or not. Absolutely nothing good will come from getting on the phone with him.

There should be a process in place for these types of thing and that process should be this: 1) Coach calls assignor to complain/question/etc. 2) Assignor calls you to discuss. 3) Assignor calls coach back with explanation and final opinion.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 02:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Well...we use The Arbiter and they can see the officials assigned to their games and have contact information just in case something happens on game day. It isn't always feasible to actually speak to the assignor and have him make sure the officials know of a problem with the game (or site).
Fair enough. Accessing this to follow up on a technical foul call he disagreed with is inappropriate, IMO. I would neither call him back nor email him. Let the appropriate association leadership know, and follow their lead. Sounds like you're doing that.

As it is, you gave him a lot more rope on his T than a lot of officials would.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'm assuming you mean she was inciting the crowd to taunt the crew or something unsporting. If she has fouled out and is trying to pump up the fans to support the remaining players on her way to bench not sure why you would get involved.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I'm assuming you mean she was inciting the crowd to taunt the crew or something unsporting. If she has fouled out and is trying to pump up the fans to support the remaining players on her way to bench not sure why you would get involved.
My thoughts too.

I'd love it when a player pumps up the crowd. That is part of what makes the game fun.

I don't see anywhere near enough in the OP to justify even taking notice of what she was doing.

That said, once that was done, the coach earn his for sure. There is no need to call him back unless you plan on conceding that you were perhaps too officious on the first one.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

If they were booing or protesting the call and she did that, I agree. Either way, you drew a line in the sand with both situations, they both crossed and you whacked. I have no issue with it, and I would have whacked him with his second "let the players decide" comment after you told him "we are finished discussing it," with serious consideration for just serving him after the first comment questioning your integrity. You don't owe that coach anything, I'd say let your association deal with it.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
If they were booing or protesting the call and she did that, I agree. Either way, you drew a line in the sand with both situations, they both crossed and you whacked. I have no issue with it, and I would have whacked him with his second "let the players decide" comment after you told him "we are finished discussing it," with serious consideration for just serving him after the first comment questioning your integrity. You don't owe that coach anything, I'd say let your association deal with it.
Good point that I left out of the OP. The visiting team fans were voicing their displeasure with the initial call...in all the usual ways (booing and comments).

She was using both hands (palms up) and gesturing similar to a football player trying to quite the crowd. If she had not looked me square in the eyes when she did it the second time I probably would have passed thinking she neither saw me or heard the warning. Since we had made eye contact and she kept the contact during the second episode I felt she earned the T.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I think the coaches for the schools in our chapter know enough to contact the assignor first with issues - not sure how yours handles these things. Does your assignor know what happened yet? I would have been on the phone as soon as the game was over getting my side of it to him first. Whenever something happens in a game that the assignor will likely get a phone call for, we are instructed to try and get to the assignor first.