The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Resumption of Play Procedure

Rookie here, who is beginning to get a handle on the basics. Time to tackle the resumption of play procedure. I have read the NFHS rule many times.

Team A calls time out before their backcourt throw-in after an OOB call. I am administering the throw-in, and as the 2nd horn sounds, Team B is on the court, ready to play. Team A remains in their huddle.

I assume I can place the ball on the floor and start the 5-second count, "x" seconds after the final horn.

The rule seems to indicate that x=0. But I have a feeling that properly managing the game will allow for x to be greater than 0.

What guidelines/judgement can I use to determine "x". (sorry, I'm an engineer!)
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

As a physics teacher, I like it! I will give them pretty good leeway on the first one, but thats assuming they are getting ready to break. But even if they are about to break the huddle, I'll blow it and put it on the ground, and they seem to get the hint that they will be punctual coming out the next time. As far as a numerical answer to your question, I don't really have one, for me if they break within about 3 seconds of the second horn, I'm usually inclined to just tell them to hustle up and let's go.

Probably depends on your area, this isn't something that's typically a problem here
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

For your benefit I left out the "t squared" term! Of course in my situation the offending team was at the far end of the court from me. . .so I assume my partner should be telling them to hustle?
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 08:58pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
For your benefit I left out the "t squared" term! Of course in my situation the offending team was at the far end of the court from me. . .so I assume my partner should be telling them to hustle?

Yep. Might not happen right at this break, but as soon as I can, I'll talk with partner and tell them to get them out on 1st and play ball on 2nd horn. Has to be a crew effort bc if you are only one putting ball on floor at their disposal, you might get some flack and it needs to be consistent to keep that crap away. Talk to vets and watch their games to see how long they are giving teams. That will give you a good clue as to how much lag to allow. For me, it's about 3-5 seconds if they aren't hustling and still in timeout area. Enough time for me to say "play ball white and blow whistle"
Old Mon Feb 01, 2016, 01:49am
#thereferee99

Adopt an appropriate pace.

with an objective of having the teams ready to play at the second horn, early in the game you can consider putting the ball down just as the players are returning. Long hard whistle then put the ball down so they will get to it at about the count of two. Usually has the desired effect.

Later in the game you can modify as appropriate, maybe give the trailing team a moment or two extra, as is done in this video example at the 12:55 mark: