The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Would you make this call? Why or why not?

I'm aware of the case book play making it clear on a throw-in the ball can't bounce out of bounds first on a pass.

Here's the actual scenario in my game:

Close game 4th quarter. A1 is in-bounding the ball after a timeout in their back-court(before the timeout B1 hit the ball out-of-bounds attempting to steal). A1 is about 30 inches out of bounds and rolls the ball in-bounds to A2 in an attempt to not start the clock right away. My partner called a violation because the player started rolling the ball out-of-bounds. We talked about it for a bit after the game, but I'm curious what others think/would do.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I'm aware of the case book play making it clear on a throw-in the ball can't bounce out of bounds first on a pass.

Here's the actual scenario in my game:

Close game 4th quarter. A1 is in-bounding the ball after a timeout in their back-court(before the timeout B1 hit the ball out-of-bounds attempting to steal). A1 is about 30 inches out of bounds and rolls the ball in-bounds to A2 in an attempt to not start the clock right away. My partner called a violation because the player started rolling the ball out-of-bounds. We talked about it for a bit after the game, but I'm curious what others think/would do.
Before I read the scenario I was prepared to say that I would more then likely refrain from calling the ball bouncing on the end line but if he were to be behind the line by nearly 3 feet and rolled it? Yes I would call a violation.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 11:37am
Aztec-Irishman

Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
A1 is about 30 inches out of bounds and rolls the ball in-bounds to A2 in an attempt to not start the clock right away.
Absolutely make the violation call!

30 inches is a lot of distance to cover and the whole gym probably saw it too. If an official does not put a whistle on the play, then that official has just favored one team over another.

I will bet, that player will never make that same mistake again.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

whats your argument for NOT calling it?
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 11:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I would have called this most likely, but I'm open to discussion on it. Assuming there's no pressure, it's not that hard to do this right. In fact, rolling is the least effective means as it forces the dribbler to bend over and pick it up before dribbling.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I would have called this most likely, but I'm open to discussion on it. Assuming there's no pressure, it's not that hard to do this right. In fact, rolling is the least effective means as it forces the dribbler to bend over and pick it up before dribbling.
Zero pressure in the BC. Coach was asking me a quick question at the time and I didn't see what happened(I was the C). Coach went nuts after the violation call so we talked about it after the game.

Seemed like an interesting play to me.

I think rolling the ball isn't a good idea pretty much ever, especially after a TO.

Last edited by Dad; Thu Jan 28, 2016 at 12:11pm.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

A case can be made (and I know there are those who will argue against it), that this is one of the examples where "advantage" comes into play on a violation. (And, I am aware of the case play where the inbounder steps inbounds and it says to call the violation regardless.)

For example, I had a play just the other day where the defense was pressing the inbounder and she bounce-passed the ball across the lane line to beat the pressure. but, the ball hit OOB. Easy violation call.

In the OP, as I read it though, no pressure -- so no advantage gained. I can see being a lot less likely to call it.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 12:22pm
Stubborn Member

It would have to be really obvious, and assuming there's no pressure nor advantage.

I don't like ignoring a rule, but sometimes it helps in better managing the game.

Like when I noticed my partner give the ball to the wrong team on a throw in. I actually blew my whistle after the throw in ended, meaning it was too late to correct, but I corrected it anyway saying "I saw it before the throw in ended, but couldn't hit my whistle sooner." Technically what I did was wrong, but it was too obvious an error that if I didn't fix the error it would have created more issues.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Years ago in my very first playoff regional, we are in the title game and the team that was ranked like #3 in the area was playing the host school of the regional did the very thing you mentioned. The in-bounder rolled the ball starting from out of bounds onto the court. I was shocked and had never seen that and paused. Before it I realized what he had done, it would have been a very late whistle and I never called that. I learned a lesson from that, and always felt would never miss that again. I have never seen anything like that since. But what I have done since is that I do not let slide a lot of these in-bounds that have a kid jumping from in-bounds and never getting out of bounds to make a throw-in, usually after a made basket. I pay more attention now.

No one ever noticed or said anything to me, but it was a close game and I felt bad that I missed such an obvious violation if you are standing right there in basically a 1 or 2 possession game that could have been the reason they won or loss based on not calling the right thing. BTW, the ranked team lost that day, but this play always stuck with me in my career. That has been about 12 years ago.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
A case can be made (and I know there are those who will argue against it), that this is one of the examples where "advantage" comes into play on a violation. (And, I am aware of the case play where the inbounder steps inbounds and it says to call the violation regardless.)

For example, I had a play just the other day where the defense was pressing the inbounder and she bounce-passed the ball across the lane line to beat the pressure. but, the ball hit OOB. Easy violation call.

In the OP, as I read it though, no pressure -- so no advantage gained. I can see being a lot less likely to call it.
I can't disagree with this. No advantage gained, so if somebody went without the violation, I don't see it as something to get fired up about.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not going to cut hairs too fine when there's no pressure, but 2+ feet of OOB rolling is a bit more than a hair. Sometimes you can't save players from stupid.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I can't disagree with this. No advantage gained, so if somebody went without the violation, I don't see it as something to get fired up about.
In a close game, if the opposing coach knows the rule, he'll see it as something to be fired up about if it's no called.

Pretty untenable position to defend.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
In a close game, if the opposing coach knows the rule, he'll see it as something to be fired up about if it's no called.

Agreed. Either way you go is going to unpopular with someone. If you call it as defined, you'll at least make the right person unhappy.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post

Exactly. Just like earlier this year my partner called a 10 sec violation of a FT shooter. He said afterwards he felt strange making the call and it was the first time in a 20+ year career that he got to 10. However, if someone from the team is counting with you using your visible count how do you explain NOT making the call.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2016, 01:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I'm not going to cut hairs too fine when there's no pressure, but 2+ feet of OOB rolling is a bit more than a hair. Sometimes you can't save players from stupid.
This is probably why I'd call it. If it gets released right on or near the line, I'm probably not going to see it well enough to call it. 2.5 feet, however, is quite a bit. It really depends on how close it is.

And I'm sorry, but a coach really doesn't get to go off on what is a correct call, regardless of philosophy.

Technically, there's no legal way to roll the ball out of a throw in.