The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 07:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Thanks VaTerp. I'm with you on the principle that it's important to get all of the obvious violations. I also want to make sure any violation I call is one I'm very sure of.

So it's an erring-on-the-side-of-slooooow, measured count to 10 on FTs (I've only called one of those, 9-10 years ago when I was in college reffing intramurals). But also, if it's more common violation like a travel or BC, I want to make sure I saw it.

It's a different philosophy than with fouls, particularly on clear PCs/blocks with significant contact. Hopefully I got a great look and know the call is right, but even if I'm not 100%, I'm blowing my whistle to call what I think is best based off what I saw.

The point is, advantage/disadvantage is inherently subjective, and it makes sense that fouls are where you want to focus like the big dog who trained you said.

And this is not really disagreeing with you, but I don't really see passing on a violation as part of game management, like I would on borderline fouls. I call any violation I'm sure I saw, no matter where it is or what the score is. I don't feel like it's in my power to ignore a rule violation. If I see a 3 second call (and I'm sure it's 3+ seconds), I call it (game flow can go both ways). Where trouble starts occurring is when my partner doesn't call it. I know consistency is critical, and it just drives me nuts because the easiest thing from a consistency perspective is to go by one set of policies/rules... the rulebook. But I get it 100% that local listings may vary and I should shut up about it because I am not a big dog. I just moved to a new state anyway, so maybe that philosophy is something I will have to unlearn.
I don't advise newer officials to try passing on violations for game management. It's a rather advanced approach. As Nevada pointed out, the NFHS frowns on it. But as anyone will tell you, in some areas it's just expected as a skill to develop. My advice, unless you're getting evaluators ask you if you really needed to make that travel call, keep doing what you're doing.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I don't advise newer officials to try passing on violations for game management. It's a rather advanced approach. As Nevada pointed out, the NFHS frowns on it. But as anyone will tell you, in some areas it's just expected as a skill to develop. My advice, unless you're getting evaluators ask you if you really needed to make that travel call, keep doing what you're doing.
Appreciate the advice. Thank you.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I'm inquiring about the language on the case play that the OP referenced about the throw-in bouncing out of bound first on a pass.
9.2.2 Situation A
Old Sun Jan 31, 2016, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
9.2.2 Situation A
9.2.2 SITUATION A: Thrower A1: (a) causes the ball to carom from the wall
behind him/her, or from the floor out of bounds and then into the court; (b) caroms
the ball from the back of the backboard to a player in the court; or (c) throws
the ball against the side or the front face of the backboard, after which it rebounds
into the hands of A2. RULING: Violation in (a) and (b), since the throw touched
an object out of bounds. The throw-in in (c) is legal. The side and front face of
the backboard are inbounds and, in this specific situation, are treated the same
as the floor inbounds.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)