The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

elbow

NFHS Boys Varsity. Team A has ball in the corner #34 Team A and # 21 Team B are at the the foul line. #21 is attempting to guard #34. #34 does not like it and hits #21 in the chest with a hard elbow. Referee did not think it was flagrant but a foul needed to be called. Could you call a technical foul under Rule10-1-8 for an unsporting foul? Should you call a common foul or an intentional foul.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 11:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
NFHS Boys Varsity. Team A has ball in the corner #34 Team A and # 21 Team B are at the the foul line. #21 is attempting to guard #34. #34 does not like it and hits #21 in the chest with a hard elbow. Referee did not think it was flagrant but a foul needed to be called. Could you call a technical foul under Rule10-1-8 for an unsporting foul? Should you call a common foul or an intentional foul.

The contact, if illegal cannot be a TF because the Ball was Live when the contact occurred. That said, if the Official, in his judgement thinks the contact was illegal, he must decide if it is a CF, and IPF, or FPF.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Based on that scenario, I am calling an intentional foul. Intent is hard to measure, but based on your choice of words, there was intent to use the elbow to make contact. If the same contact had happened above the shoulders, I am inclined to go flagrant. I struggle with the common fouls in these situations, I think the wording has always been a little confusing.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 12:40am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Pretty easy IPF, to me.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Live ball contact you only have 3 options

Common foul
Intentional Foul
Flagrant Foul
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post

Common foul
Intentional Foul
Flagrant Foul
No call.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Common foul
Intentional Foul
Flagrant Foul
Great thread. Had a similar situation earlier this week in which our crew called it a technical foul (EDIT: intentional shove in the back during live play). I have since researched the foul rules more in depth and learned why a technical foul is not an option. The rule citations that helped me may help others:

4-19-5b defines a technical foul as a noncontact foul by a player.

4-19-5c defines the intentional technical foul, which requires the ball to be dead.

4-19-14 defines an unsporting foul as noncontact technical foul.

Thanks for starting this discussion!

Last edited by griblets; Wed Jan 27, 2016 at 11:12am. Reason: clarification
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
a hard elbow.
What exactly is a "hard elbow"...I picture a defender up on him, he gets irritated and tries to clear space so he throws an elbow into the chest of the defender...this close?

If so, I would call a PC and go the other way...no reason to get too wrapped up in intent.

Now I could see going with something more stringent if there were words spoken, a stare down, etc. to support the measurement of "intent" but if not, just get a PC, clean up the play and move on with the game.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
What exactly is a "hard elbow"...I picture a defender up on him, he gets irritated and tries to clear space so he throws an elbow into the chest of the defender...this close?

If so, I would call a PC and go the other way...no reason to get too wrapped up in intent.

Now I could see going with something more stringent if there were words spoken, a stare down, etc. to support the measurement of "intent" but if not, just get a PC, clean up the play and move on with the game.
The player involved did not have the ball so it can't be PC.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Throwing an elbow into anyone is at minimum an intentional foul. We have been instructed over the past several years to clean up elbow contact, especially to the head area.I do not need to wait to "see" if anything further transpires here to "upgrade" my foul. This behavior is unacceptable and is not a wait and see what happens.

The best way to avoid "wait and see" moments is to get the right call at the right time and control the game. Which is essentially our job description.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The player involved did not have the ball so it can't be PC.
That would have been a good detail to catch on my part
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Throwing an elbow into anyone is at minimum an intentional foul. We have been instructed over the past several years to clean up elbow contact, especially to the head area.I do not need to wait to "see" if anything further transpires here to "upgrade" my foul. This behavior is unacceptable and is not a wait and see what happens.

The best way to avoid "wait and see" moments is to get the right call at the right time and control the game. Which is essentially our job description.
So why can't a PC be called (in my situation...I realize I missed in the OP that he didn't have the ball)? That isn't a wait and see approach, it is getting the call right away and cleaning it up, an elbow in the chest absolutely is not a mandatory intentional (unless you don't have the ball as in the OP).
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 11:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The play I'm picturing is an easy IPF, with the intentional use of the elbow to clear space. We call common fouls all the time when they use their hands to push off, but the elbow is sufficient escalation of this practice. Call the IPF and it'll clean up much faster.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 04:46pm
We don't rent pigs

And for anyone who may not know, in spite of the name, it is possible to commit an intentional foul by accident.

I much prefer NCAA terms. FF1 and FF2

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 29, 2016, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So why can't a PC be called (in my situation...I realize I missed in the OP that he didn't have the ball)? That isn't a wait and see approach, it is getting the call right away and cleaning it up, an elbow in the chest absolutely is not a mandatory intentional (unless you don't have the ball as in the OP).
An elbow in the chest MAY not be an IPF, however the majority of contact by an elbow probably is intentional and it's just not being called correctly.