The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:02pm
This IS My Social Life

Call Not Correct vs. No-Call Not Correct

Statistically speaking, which do you think has more of a negative effect on the call accuracy of experienced officials:
A) Calls not made that should have been (NCI: No Calls Incorrect)
or
B) Calls made that shouldn't have been (CI: Calls Incorrect)

Is it different for more inexperienced, newer officials?
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not want either.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Call accuracy according to who?
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Tough to have statistics without a way of measuring . . . and I think it is tough to generalize that, and not necessarily useful: I think referees need to be making the best call they can, not holding back because they are afraid of making a bad call . . . I suspect coaches would believe that there are so many errors on both fronts that its hard to tell, and that 60-70% of the errors are negative to their team . . .
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:19pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
Call accuracy according to who?
Let's say according to the official him/herself based on an honest, unapologetic, objective self-assessment based on video review.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think newer officials tend to make more incorrect calls, where veteran officials probably would have more no calls that should have been calls versus calls that should have been nothing. My opinion.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Let's say according to the official him/herself based on an honest, unapologetic, objective self-assessment based on video review.
This sounds like an official who wants to get better. Making mistakes shouldn't have a negative effect on call accuracy in the long term. Maybe for a single game if it's during the event and a bad call gets into your head(distracting).

Newer officials have way too much volatility in performance to give anything close to a certainty. Really depends on a person to person bases.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

This will vary drastically from official to official, but can certainly help you identify areas of weakness.

I like to break my film down into a similar approach, but I'm even more specific. As an example, I find that I have significantly more No Call - Incorrect travels than Incorrect Call Travel (of which I virtually have non, consistently). It's a reminder to me that I need to work on identify the pivot foot early and recognizing travels.

You might find that you are calling too many fouls on cleanly blocked shots. The goal should be to eliminate both incorrect calls and NCI, but in order to really get an understanding, you need to be very specific so you can know what to work on.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I like to break my film down into a similar approach, but I'm even more specific. As an example, I find that I have significantly more No Call - Incorrect travels than Incorrect Call Travel (of which I virtually have non, consistently). It's a reminder to me that I need to work on identify the pivot foot early and recognizing travels.
This is how it should be and is for the best officials out there.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This will vary drastically from official to official, but can certainly help you identify areas of weakness.

You might find that you are calling too many fouls on cleanly blocked shots. The goal should be to eliminate both incorrect calls and NCI, but in order to really get an understanding, you need to be very specific so you can know what to work on.
This was one of my personal POI's this seaon. Game film is a must. More and more schools have online ways to watch your games. Which is an excellent value added for officials, and gives almost immediate feedback. The days of giving a coach a VHS tape was good, but I would forget the specific plays I wanted to look at by the time it was returned. Now days I usually get a link emailed or texted right to me. Awesome

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Better to miss a foul/violation that did happen than to call one that didn't

It has been my understanding that it is much better to miss a foul or violation than to call a foul or violation that never happened.

I suppose an official could justify a no-call by saying that he/she didn't see it, but there isn't a good justification for calling something that didn't happen without soundling like he/she was "guessing" on the call.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 06:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Stages of officiating, based on my experience and observations.

1. Afraid to blow the whistle.
2. Calls anything and everything.
3. Discovers advantage/disadvantage and swings back the other direction, letting too much go uncalled.
4. Balances out, continually refining the advantage/disadvantage meter.

#1 normally lasts only a game or so.
#2 and #3 vary in length based on training, awareness, and willingness to learn.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
It has been my understanding that it is much better to miss a foul or violation than to call a foul or violation that never happened.

I suppose an official could justify a no-call by saying that he/she didn't see it, but there isn't a good justification for calling something that didn't happen without soundling like he/she was "guessing" on the call.
I think this is more of the old school philosophy. Today you are either correct or you are wrong.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 08:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I think this is more of the old school philosophy. Today you are either correct or you are wrong.
I think you'll find the philosophy is more widespread than just the old timers. I'd rather be right every time, but if I have to choose, I'd rather be wrong on a no call most of the time.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2016, 08:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am not so sure that is that much of an old school position considering that most of us never work a game with more than one fixed court angle. There is always going to be scrutiny on a close call or two. I still would not want to call something that is not obvious.

Peace