The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I struggle with proper rotation of players. I would welcome any input from you all with tricks that help you keep track of player rotation, especially when substitutions start running in and out.....

Thanks,
Old Mon Sep 15, 2003, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gniel
I struggle with proper rotation of players. I would welcome any input from you all with tricks that help you keep track of player rotation, especially when substitutions start running in and out.....

Thanks,
I concentrate on the server (or the RB on the receiving team) and the setter. Once I've located the RB, I know the next three players listed on the lineup card are the front row players, from right to left in order, while the two players immediately above the RB are the back row from right to left reading up. A quick check of the setter also tells me whether I've a front row or back row setter for that rotation.

Keeping the lineup card similar to that illustrated on page 58 of the casebook helps emensely in keeping track of the RB. The technique of "ticking" the player when she rotates into the service position and then "crossing-ticking" (turning it into an "X") when she side-outs (whoops, loses rally) makes it fairly easy to keep track of who the RB is in each rotation and who is the next player who should rotate into the service position when her side regains service.

It takes practice and actually working a few games but after a while, it starts to become almost automatic.

Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Something that will always help is to know the offense the teams are using. Study offenses and you will learn serve receipt patterns. It will also help with back row block/attack situations.