The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:26pm
High Five Master

Timeout!!

Rule: 4-12-4 reads while the ball remains live a loose ball always remains in control of the team whose player last had control, unless a try or tap for goal. 4-15-4-c says a timeout shall not be granted during an interrupted dribble. 4-21 says a fumble is an accidental loss of player control when ball unintentionally drops or slips from players grasp.

So, please help me understand a bit better for my own betterment. A1 passes to A2 who muffs the pass. Loose ball batted around. A coach yells timeout. By rule, A still in team control and can be granted? Or does the team control statement noted above exist only for team control fouls etc? Do we have to have player control in order to grant a timeout?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Rule: 4-12-4 reads while the ball remains live a loose ball always remains in control of the team whose player last had control, unless a try or tap for goal. 4-15-4-c says a timeout shall not be granted during an interrupted dribble. 4-21 says a fumble is an accidental loss of player control when ball unintentionally drops or slips from players grasp.

So, please help me understand a bit better for my own betterment. A1 passes to A2 who muffs the pass. Loose ball batted around. A coach yells timeout. By rule, A still in team control and can be granted? Or does the team control statement noted above exist only for team control fouls etc? Do we have to have player control in order to grant a timeout?
No. A live ball must be in player control (or at a team's disposal for a FT or throwin) for the team to be granted a timeout.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:31pm
High Five Master

Thank you sir.
So, the team control statement I mentioned only related to fouls?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Thank you sir.
It relates to what team is in control of the ball in case the whistle blows for any reason.

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Jan 14, 2016 at 04:37pm.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thank you sir.
Not at all, but team control is not sufficient for a TO request to be granted.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 04:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is Another Job For ...

... The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules:

The head coach may request, and be granted, a timeout if his, or her, player is holding, or dribbling, the ball; or during a dead ball period. A player saving the ball in the air can ask for, and be granted, a timeout even if that player is going out of bounds. The key is whether, or not, the player has control of the ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 05:17pm
Archaic Power Monger

5-8-3-a is the rule reference you're looking for.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 05:46pm
High Five Master

Thanks welpe and everyone. I was trying to throw too many rules references into something very simple.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

What about when the coach requests timeout before a jump ball is called?

SITUATION: A1 has control of the ball. B1 places hands on the ball and they begin to struggle to get the ball with neither player having an advantage. Coach A requests a timeout before the official calls a jump ball. Should the official grant the timeout of call a jump ball?
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 03:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
SITUATION: A1 has control of the ball. B1 places hands on the ball and they begin to struggle to get the ball with neither player having an advantage. Coach A requests a timeout before the official calls a jump ball. Should the official grant the timeout of call a jump ball?
I work with a lot of guys who pre-game to be patience about granting time-outs in those situations.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 06:10am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
My rule of thumb is if their player has initial possession and the call a timeout within a fraction of a second of the opposing player also obtaining posession, I will le the coach burn a time out. It could potentially save some rough play. It has to be very clear that the first player had sole player control. Otherwise I let them continue until a held ball is warranted. Maybe others have a better discription, ruling or understanding of this rule.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
It has to be very clear that the first player had sole player control.

Is there such a thing as not "sole" player control? Is "sole" player control required to grant a TO?

If the conditions for a held ball were met first, call that. If the conditions for a TO were met first, call that.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 07:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Coach's request came after the ball was tied up.

Call the held ball and ask the coach if he still wants his TO.
Old Sat Jan 16, 2016, 07:40pm
Back from the DL

Here's an actual play I had last year, to illustrate. I'm the T, tableside.

*A-1 releases a pass to A-2 in the BC. While the ball is in flight, HC A requests a time-out. Nothing granted.

*A-2 catches the ball at the division line and makes a long pass to A-3. While the ball is in flight, HC A requests another time-out. Nothing granted.

*A-3 catches the ball near the end line, right corner. HC A says, "Now I want..." and a shot is released.... "a time out."

*Swish for three.

I'm the new L. HC A and I make eye contact, and exchange a smile and headshake. My reply, "I didn't think you wanted one."
Old Sun Jan 17, 2016, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Here's an actual play I had last year, to illustrate. I'm the T, tableside.

*A-1 releases a pass to A-2 in the BC. While the ball is in flight, HC A requests a time-out. Nothing granted.

*A-2 catches the ball at the division line and makes a long pass to A-3. While the ball is in flight, HC A requests another time-out. Nothing granted.

*A-3 catches the ball near the end line, right corner. HC A says, "Now I want..." and a shot is released.... "a time out."

*Swish for three.

I'm the new L. HC A and I make eye contact, and exchange a smile and headshake. My reply, "I didn't think you wanted one."
Why wasn't the timeout granted when A2 caught the ball?