The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

"Let the Lead Have 1st Crack"

I am sure there has been a ton of debate on this in the past, but I want to first say that I have long struggled with this concept. In every pre-game meeting I have been in over the past few years, the R states (2 or 3 Man) "Let's have the lead get 1st crack on anything coming to the basket."

I was looking for something else today and across the NFHS Officials Manual (I was looking at the 2013-2015 manual) Page 62, 3.3.2 C

1. When a player with the ball starts a drive to the basket from an officials primary area, that official has primary coverage of the player and the ball all the way to the basket - even if the ball moves into another officials primary area.

Is this a case where officials are disagreeing with the way NFHS states how this should be handled or has it just become the popular way of handling this over time (institutional/tribal), etc.?

Thoughts?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I am sure there has been a ton of debate on this in the past, but I want to first say that I have long struggled with this concept. In every pre-game meeting I have been in over the past few years, the R states (2 or 3 Man) "Let's have the lead get 1st crack on anything coming to the basket."

I was looking for something else today and across the NFHS Officials Manual (I was looking at the 2013-2015 manual) Page 62, 3.3.2 C

1. When a player with the ball starts a drive to the basket from an officials primary area, that official has primary coverage of the player and the ball all the way to the basket - even if the ball moves into another officials primary area.

Is this a case where officials are disagreeing with the way NFHS states how this should be handled or has it just become the popular way of handling this over time (institutional/tribal), etc.?

Thoughts?
From my limited experience I can tell you when there is a "blarge" call to address that the majority results when the lead is "coming out strong" and "selling" his call. Having the outside official (C or T) hold for a bit when they blow their whistle avoids the conflicting calls. If that means we are "letting the lead have 1st crack" so be it. I would rather do that than have a blarge.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
Not sure what area you're in, but around here, if the drive comes out of Lead's Primary, then he has that drive all the way to the hoop. The only situation where the lead should have first shot is in the case of a secondary defender, such as if the dribbler has beaten the original defender, and a secondary defender steps in and tries to take a charge. That would be Lead's first crack.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
From my limited experience I can tell you when there is a "blarge" call to address that the majority results when the lead is "coming out strong" and "selling" his call. Having the outside official (C or T) hold for a bit when they blow their whistle avoids the conflicting calls. If that means we are "letting the lead have 1st crack" so be it. I would rather do that than have a blarge.
This is where using terms primary defender and secondary defender aid in those areas. If the play originates in the T's area then the T should ref the primary defender. If that defender fouls then the T has the call. The L will identify secondary defenders and if they foul the L will get that.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... "Let's have the lead get 1st crack on anything coming to the basket."...
...involving a secondary defender. Everyone I work with says the C or the T should take drives all the way to the basket and have 1st crack if the primary defender is involved.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I think you may be misunderstanding what is being stressed here. I've never heard the bolded part suggested in any of the different areas/levels I've worked. And I think what is being stressed is avoiding blarges once air is put into whistles rather than who has first crack at calling the play.

As others have said, its pretty common practice to pre-game that the outside officials should take plays that originate in their primary all the way to the basket and get first crack at contact involving the primary defender. The Lead usually has the best look at a secondary defender so outside officials should generally give the L first crack on those, especially if they are strong side.

In terms of avoided blarges we say that for double whistles on block/charge plays the outside officials should try to hold off on the preliminary since the L is more likely, for whatever reason, to come out with a prelim. This is different than saying the L should have first crack at plays coming to the basket and is hopefully avoided more when you follow the protocol above of letting the T and C take plays to the basket.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
We have been told that if the drive comes from the C or T, to let them take the call. The lead should be secondary if the C or T passes on it for some reason.

It seems the old guard wants to have the lead take it and I understand why. It's coming right at them.

The new way seems to be letting the T or C take it. That's how we do it.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 03:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Simply not true. Top D1 clinicians give secondary defenders to the L. The old way was to give EVERYTHING to the L. Newer way is what you described. That's evolved to differentiate between primary and secondary defenders.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 03:42pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
This is where using terms primary defender and secondary defender aid in those areas. If the play originates in the T's area then the T should ref the primary defender. If that defender fouls then the T has the call. The L will identify secondary defenders and if they foul the L will get that.
/\ THIS /\
And it makes perfect sense. Assuming the lead is not ballwatching on the dribbler outside of his primary, he has all the time in the world to assess legal guarding position in regards to that secondary defender. The center or trail does not have that advantage because he has been focusing on the primary competitive match up that originated in his area.
This is a beautiful mechanic when it works. And with good officials on the crew, it works wonderfully.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
It seems the old guard wants to have the lead take it and I understand why. It's coming right at them.
It's easier for me to get a typical block/charge call when coming at me. I am improving at picking it up from C (or at odd times even T). It makes sense to me that the primary official has the play "all the way", but on the court it seems L more often than not can see this as well or better, even if keeping an eye on an off ball matchup.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

we'll give Lead "first crack" at fast breaks, and Center can come in late if they had a look at something the Lead might not have had from their angle, like a push in the back, or a foul on the arm opposite that the Lead could easily miss in transition, even while in position.

lately i've personally been trying to get more calls from Center. and double whistles aren't a sin, just be sure to hold your prelims and be patient, release to the primary and/or be strong with your call...
many reasons here why a good pre-game is so important.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2016, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Simply not true. Top D1 clinicians give secondary defenders to the L. The old way was to give EVERYTHING to the L. Newer way is what you described. That's evolved to differentiate between primary and secondary defenders.
Agree.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 03:51am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnolan View Post
...i've personally been trying to get more calls from Center
This is very good when what you're getting are those calls in C's paint. An engaged C can get more primary matchup calls/no-calls correct in that, his primary area. When L calls over in C's paint, especially with a quick, impulsive whistles, that's when call accuracy suffers. This is the hardest thing for Leads who are trying to make the transition from 2-person to 3-person to learn--to let C have that call over there, unless, of course, something is missed and secondary cadence whistle is called for. Wish you the best on your pursuit as an engaged, play-calling C!
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you are speaking to me, I was referring to high school ball.
Old Wed Jan 13, 2016, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
It's easier for me to get a typical block/charge call when coming at me. I am improving at picking it up from C (or at odd times even T). It makes sense to me that the primary official has the play "all the way", but on the court it seems L more often than not can see this as well or better, even if keeping an eye on an off ball matchup.
I agree, it's a hard thing to do and it would make sense to let the lead take the call when it comes from the trail. At least when it comes from the C, it's on the other side of the lane. The C should have a great view of that play.

I understand both sides of the debate.