The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Let the Lead Have 1st Crack" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100671-let-lead-have-1st-crack.html)

packersowner Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:56pm

"Let the Lead Have 1st Crack"

I am sure there has been a ton of debate on this in the past, but I want to first say that I have long struggled with this concept. In every pre-game meeting I have been in over the past few years, the R states (2 or 3 Man) "Let's have the lead get 1st crack on anything coming to the basket."

I was looking for something else today and across the NFHS Officials Manual (I was looking at the 2013-2015 manual) Page 62, 3.3.2 C

1. When a player with the ball starts a drive to the basket from an officials primary area, that official has primary coverage of the player and the ball all the way to the basket - even if the ball moves into another officials primary area.

Is this a case where officials are disagreeing with the way NFHS states how this should be handled or has it just become the popular way of handling this over time (institutional/tribal), etc.?

Thoughts?

BatteryPowered Tue Jan 12, 2016 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 976352)
I am sure there has been a ton of debate on this in the past, but I want to first say that I have long struggled with this concept. In every pre-game meeting I have been in over the past few years, the R states (2 or 3 Man) "Let's have the lead get 1st crack on anything coming to the basket."

I was looking for something else today and across the NFHS Officials Manual (I was looking at the 2013-2015 manual) Page 62, 3.3.2 C

1. When a player with the ball starts a drive to the basket from an officials primary area, that official has primary coverage of the player and the ball all the way to the basket - even if the ball moves into another officials primary area.

Is this a case where officials are disagreeing with the way NFHS states how this should be handled or has it just become the popular way of handling this over time (institutional/tribal), etc.?

Thoughts?

From my limited experience I can tell you when there is a "blarge" call to address that the majority results when the lead is "coming out strong" and "selling" his call. Having the outside official (C or T) hold for a bit when they blow their whistle avoids the conflicting calls. If that means we are "letting the lead have 1st crack" so be it. I would rather do that than have a blarge.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 12, 2016 01:26pm

Quote:

Thoughts?

Not sure what area you're in, but around here, if the drive comes out of Lead's Primary, then he has that drive all the way to the hoop. The only situation where the lead should have first shot is in the case of a secondary defender, such as if the dribbler has beaten the original defender, and a secondary defender steps in and tries to take a charge. That would be Lead's first crack.

Valley Man Tue Jan 12, 2016 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 976355)
From my limited experience I can tell you when there is a "blarge" call to address that the majority results when the lead is "coming out strong" and "selling" his call. Having the outside official (C or T) hold for a bit when they blow their whistle avoids the conflicting calls. If that means we are "letting the lead have 1st crack" so be it. I would rather do that than have a blarge.

This is where using terms primary defender and secondary defender aid in those areas. If the play originates in the T's area then the T should ref the primary defender. If that defender fouls then the T has the call. The L will identify secondary defenders and if they foul the L will get that.

Raymond Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:01pm

Quote:

... "Let's have the lead get 1st crack on anything coming to the basket."...

...involving a secondary defender. Everyone I work with says the C or the T should take drives all the way to the basket and have 1st crack if the primary defender is involved.

VaTerp Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 976355)

I think you may be misunderstanding what is being stressed here. I've never heard the bolded part suggested in any of the different areas/levels I've worked. And I think what is being stressed is avoiding blarges once air is put into whistles rather than who has first crack at calling the play.

As others have said, its pretty common practice to pre-game that the outside officials should take plays that originate in their primary all the way to the basket and get first crack at contact involving the primary defender. The Lead usually has the best look at a secondary defender so outside officials should generally give the L first crack on those, especially if they are strong side.

In terms of avoided blarges we say that for double whistles on block/charge plays the outside officials should try to hold off on the preliminary since the L is more likely, for whatever reason, to come out with a prelim. This is different than saying the L should have first crack at plays coming to the basket and is hopefully avoided more when you follow the protocol above of letting the T and C take plays to the basket.

SD Referee Tue Jan 12, 2016 02:42pm

Quote:

Thoughts?

We have been told that if the drive comes from the C or T, to let them take the call. The lead should be secondary if the C or T passes on it for some reason.

It seems the old guard wants to have the lead take it and I understand why. It's coming right at them.

The new way seems to be letting the T or C take it. That's how we do it.

Rich Tue Jan 12, 2016 03:03pm

Simply not true. Top D1 clinicians give secondary defenders to the L. The old way was to give EVERYTHING to the L. Newer way is what you described. That's evolved to differentiate between primary and secondary defenders.

Freddy Tue Jan 12, 2016 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 976357)
This is where using terms primary defender and secondary defender aid in those areas. If the play originates in the T's area then the T should ref the primary defender. If that defender fouls then the T has the call. The L will identify secondary defenders and if they foul the L will get that.

/\ THIS /\
And it makes perfect sense. Assuming the lead is not ballwatching on the dribbler outside of his primary, he has all the time in the world to assess legal guarding position in regards to that secondary defender. The center or trail does not have that advantage because he has been focusing on the primary competitive match up that originated in his area.
This is a beautiful mechanic when it works. And with good officials on the crew, it works wonderfully.

Hartsy Tue Jan 12, 2016 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD Referee (Post 976376)
It seems the old guard wants to have the lead take it and I understand why. It's coming right at them.

It's easier for me to get a typical block/charge call when coming at me. I am improving at picking it up from C (or at odd times even T). It makes sense to me that the primary official has the play "all the way", but on the court it seems L more often than not can see this as well or better, even if keeping an eye on an off ball matchup.

tnolan Tue Jan 12, 2016 04:29pm

we'll give Lead "first crack" at fast breaks, and Center can come in late if they had a look at something the Lead might not have had from their angle, like a push in the back, or a foul on the arm opposite that the Lead could easily miss in transition, even while in position.

lately i've personally been trying to get more calls from Center. and double whistles aren't a sin, just be sure to hold your prelims and be patient, release to the primary and/or be strong with your call...
many reasons here why a good pre-game is so important.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 12, 2016 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 976382)
Simply not true. Top D1 clinicians give secondary defenders to the L. The old way was to give EVERYTHING to the L. Newer way is what you described. That's evolved to differentiate between primary and secondary defenders.

Agree.

Freddy Wed Jan 13, 2016 03:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnolan (Post 976393)
...i've personally been trying to get more calls from Center

This is very good when what you're getting are those calls in C's paint. An engaged C can get more primary matchup calls/no-calls correct in that, his primary area. When L calls over in C's paint, especially with a quick, impulsive whistles, that's when call accuracy suffers. This is the hardest thing for Leads who are trying to make the transition from 2-person to 3-person to learn--to let C have that call over there, unless, of course, something is missed and secondary cadence whistle is called for. Wish you the best on your pursuit as an engaged, play-calling C!

SD Referee Wed Jan 13, 2016 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 976382)

If you are speaking to me, I was referring to high school ball.

SD Referee Wed Jan 13, 2016 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy (Post 976392)
It's easier for me to get a typical block/charge call when coming at me. I am improving at picking it up from C (or at odd times even T). It makes sense to me that the primary official has the play "all the way", but on the court it seems L more often than not can see this as well or better, even if keeping an eye on an off ball matchup.

I agree, it's a hard thing to do and it would make sense to let the lead take the call when it comes from the trail. At least when it comes from the C, it's on the other side of the lane. The C should have a great view of that play.

I understand both sides of the debate.