The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Another factor mentioned to me by an official not on the Forum is this was a conference game. That official said maybe they might not get dinged quite so hard in a non-conference game because it only affects RPI (again, he said "maybe"). Conference games may affect whether you even get to the NCAA tournament - especially in D2 and D3 - because every school may not make the conference tournament.
I looked it up, they are both in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference. So this is clearly was a conference game and I am sure the suspension was about the conference tournament.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Jan 11, 2016 at 12:56am.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 12:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

I worked 2 college sports and I would expect to be sat down if I made this kind of mistake.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I worked 2 college sports and I would expect to be sat down if I made this kind of mistake.
I'd expect to be sat down for this kind of mistake in a HS game.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course you would.

I assign for 24 high schools for all varsity sports. While I believe in holding people accountable for bad behavior, for double booking and dumping games, for other malfeasance, I believe suspending officials for making an honest mistake sets a precedent I don't want to set.

Other assigners may feel differently, but I don't feel anyone is out to screw over a team, and I believe in keeping things in perspective.
With a varsity crew coming together and mucking up a game, I think there is probably at least some bad behavior in the form of not reading enough.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Not only was this a conference game, but with no "T" these two teams are tied for first (both are 7-2) and with the errant call one team has a two game lead (one team is 8-1, the other 6-3). This call has a huge impact for the conference standings.

I have too much time on my hands when I start looking up Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference standings...
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

How would this be handled in HS game

Similar situation in HS boys game last night. Winning basket made with about 2 seconds on clock. ball inbounded and desperation shot taken and missed. Fans and benches empty. Meanwhile clock stops at 0.1 second as the old trail, new lead recognizes a time out. They end up putting 1.1 seconds back on the clock and issue a T - don't know if for fans or players running on to court.
NCAA covers this as this thread reveals, but no real direction in the NFHS rule or case book.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Closest thing would be the following play but I'd be hesitant to use it2.8.1 SITUATION:

What guidelines should be exercised by the officials when spectators’ actions are such that they interfere with the administration of the game?

RULING: The rules book states “the official may rule fouls on either team if its supporters act in such a way as to interfere with the proper conduct of the game.” It is significant to note the word used is “may.” This gives permission, but does not in any way imply that officials must call technical fouls on team followers or supporters for unsporting acts. Thus, while officials do have the authority to penalize a team whose spectators interfere with the proper conduct of the game, this authority must be used with extreme caution and discretion. While the authority is there, the official must rarely use it, because experience has demonstrated that calling hasty technical fouls on the crowd rarely solves the problem and may, in fact, result in penalizing the wrong team because the official may not have proper knowledge as to which team's supporters were responsible for the unsporting act.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 01:40pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Of course you would.

I assign for 24 high schools for all varsity sports. While I believe in holding people accountable for bad behavior, for double booking and dumping games, for other malfeasance, I believe suspending officials for making an honest mistake sets a precedent I don't want to set.

Other assigners may feel differently, but I don't feel anyone is out to screw over a team, and I believe in keeping things in perspective.
How about some punishment for not knowing the rule? Make some room for those who have dedicated themselves to knowing the rules. this wouls also send the message that you can't just keep sliding by with general rules. Sure Freshman, JV etc, education is needed and maybe no punishment but at the Varsity level? I think it is warranted, just to send the message that if you want to work varsity, you have to know your stuff.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
How about some punishment for not knowing the rule? Make some room for those who have dedicated themselves to knowing the rules. this wouls also send the message that you can't just keep sliding by with general rules. Sure Freshman, JV etc, education is needed and maybe no punishment but at the Varsity level? I think it is warranted, just to send the message that if you want to work varsity, you have to know your stuff.
I haven't heard any complaining about crews missing rules in 2 years. That's not to say that a crew hasn't missed anything -- I just don't hear about every detail in every game.

90% of what I hear has to do with coach behavior and technical fouls either given or not given.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:29pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
I haven't heard any complaining about crews missing rules in 2 years. That's not to say that a crew hasn't missed anything -- I just don't hear about every detail in every game.

90% of what I hear has to do with coach behavior and technical fouls either given or not given.
That's fine. I don't expect you to. But something as egregious and outcome changing as this, I would think would at least warrant 1 game suspension, no post season, education, and maybe have them speak in the next meeting about what happens when you don't know the rules. Judgement is one thing but kicking rules is another.

I would suspect if there was some kind of penalty for kicking a rule there would be a whole lot less of it.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 02:30pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:

And the other real problem is that coaches don't know the rules either so they don't know when to complain.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 05:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's fine. I don't expect you to. But something as egregious and outcome changing as this, I would think would at least warrant 1 game suspension, no post season, education, and maybe have them speak in the next meeting about what happens when you don't know the rules. Judgement is one thing but kicking rules is another.

I would suspect if there was some kind of penalty for kicking a rule there would be a whole lot less of it.
Maybe, but there's also the fact that college pays a lot more. When you're making that much, you're up for a higher level of scrutiny.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And the other real problem is that coaches don't know the rules either so they don't know when to complain.
This is usually the case. But not always.

Recently my crew dorked up a FT situation. I was L (U) and paying close attention to a problem child after I called a shooting foul on A1, so I missed that the shot went in. 2.8 seconds left second quarter. Partner (R) was lazy and didn't want to switch, and in the process he didn't tell me that the ball went in. So I announce two shots for B1, he's asleep by the table, and the players don't move after the first shot. FT missed. Then....buzzer. We figure it out and make sure the original FG by B1 is scored, and then we get together and I properly say that since no one moved and the FT was missed, we need to go to the arrow (which was in B's favor).

And this is where I sometimes loathe being the 36-year old U working with the 55-year old R. He says, "no, no, no, I'm not going to reward B with a possession with 2.8 seconds left when they're up by 15; it's A's ball, let's go."

But it gets better! Coach B, to his credit, knows the rule! And he wants his AP throw-in, and the R still doesn't give it to him even after he got called on it. It was....uncomfortable (to say the least).

Last edited by crosscountry55; Wed Feb 10, 2016 at 10:46pm.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2016, 10:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This is usually the case. But not always.

Recently my crew dorked up a FT situation. I was L (U) and paying close attention to a problem child after I called a shooting foul on A1, so I missed that the shot went in. 2.8 seconds left second quarter. Partner (R) was lazy and didn't want to switch, and in the process he didn't tell me that the ball went in. So I announce two shots for B1, he's asleep by the table, and the players don't move after the first shot. FT missed. Then....buzzer. We figure it out and make sure the original FG by B1 is scored, and then we get together and I properly say that since no one moved and the FT was missed, we need to go to the arrow (which was in B's favor).

And this is where I sometimes loathe being the 36-year old U working with the 55-year old R. He says, "no, no, no, I'm not going to reward B with a possession with 2.8 seconds left when they're up by 15; it's A's ball, let's go."

But it gets better! Coach B, to his credit, knows the rule! And he wants his AP throw-in, and the R still doesn't give it to him even after calling him out. It was....uncomfortable (to say the least).
It's probably a good thing I'm not a coach, because I'd push this issue until I got a technical foul. I wouldn't do it every time, but there'd be cases where I did it because the calling official has to write a report here every time a technical is called.

I'd make sure my report included the fact that the R knew the rule and still refused to enforce it properly.

Then again, if I'm up by 15, I'm probably just sitting down and smiling.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm glad I wasn't the coach on this. I wouldn't have been as restrained as the coach was when informed of the technical foul. Winona St likely would have been shooting at least 6 free throws if I were coaching, because I'm sure I would have picked up two.

Unfortunately I have seen this too much as a student athlete at the DII level, and as a graduate of a DII university. The officiating at the DII level in many sports is not good. I recall to many games where the officials were more of a story than the game itself.

The best line I heard about DII officiating was "DII officiating is like DII playing, they aren't good enough to be at the DI level, but aren't doing it for the fun of the game like at the DIII level." It's so true in many cases (not all, as there are a lot of good DII athletes and officials).