The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Maybe, but there's also the fact that college pays a lot more. When you're making that much, you're up for a higher level of scrutiny.
Not all college conference officiating pays anywhere near as much as you think it does. DI major conference, yes absolutely. Work at the DII and DIII levels and some schools pay the same or less than what officials working high school make.

The DII conference I went to school in was one of the lowest paying in the country for DII and DIII when I was there. I worked HS ball with officials who also did games in the conference and they said there were high schools that paid more than what they got for a college varsity game. The only difference was that the conference started paying for some travel expenses, something that is very rare for high school officials in this state.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 09:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
And this is where I sometimes loathe being the 36-year old U working with the 55-year old R...
What if you were a 55 year-old U and the R was 36? Would it make a difference? Take that whole age thing out of your brain.

Because I got into officiating late in life, I work many college games with guys who are younger than me but have been doing 5-10 years longer than I have.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I'm glad I wasn't the coach on this. I wouldn't have been as restrained as the coach was when informed of the technical foul. Winona St likely would have been shooting at least 6 free throws if I were coaching, because I'm sure I would have picked up two.

Unfortunately I have seen this too much as a student athlete at the DII level, and as a graduate of a DII university. The officiating at the DII level in many sports is not good. I recall to many games where the officials were more of a story than the game itself.

The best line I heard about DII officiating was "DII officiating is like DII playing, they aren't good enough to be at the DI level, but aren't doing it for the fun of the game like at the DIII level." It's so true in many cases (not all, as there are a lot of good DII athletes and officials).
Difference being that a lot of D2 officials are also D1 officials.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 09:29am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Not all college conference officiating pays anywhere near as much as you think it does. DI major conference, yes absolutely. Work at the DII and DIII levels and some schools pay the same or less than what officials working high school make.

The DII conference I went to school in was one of the lowest paying in the country for DII and DIII when I was there. I worked HS ball with officials who also did games in the conference and they said there were high schools that paid more than what they got for a college varsity game. The only difference was that the conference started paying for some travel expenses, something that is very rare for high school officials in this state.
I can't imagine a D2 or D3 paying less than HS. I work in three D3's and the lowest paying is $170. My JuCo pays $145.