View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 09, 2016, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Anyway, he does some JUCO basketball, and he said that they want NO preliminary signals. Is that consistent with your experience at that level or higher? What's the reasoning behind it?

I ask merely out of curiosity.
Never heard that and I work JUCO and NAIA that is all governed mechanically by the CCA that produces the book. Do they make it a requirement? Not really, but we are go give some preliminary signals for things like a PC foul, birddog (optional), FF1 and FF2, count the basket or no basket. Is it required to give a "push" or "hold?" No it is not, but never heard anyone tell me or other officials that you cannot give one. Often a preliminary helps sell the call or describe immediately what the player did at the spot. Maybe this guy heard something at a camp and equated it to what is required across the board, which may or may not be what others are saying. Having been to many camps and heard many clinicians all over the Midwest and parts of the south, never heard anyone say you are not to give one in JUCO level specifically. And I also tend to work with D1 guys who I see use preliminary signals rather often when working all lower level college games.

Peace