The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Would you have a foul?

I will try to describe the situation completely (and for some, ensure I use proper rule book terminology).

Middle of the 2nd quarter, I am T (two person) table side. A1 executes a two-handed overhead pass to A2 on the other side of the court. B1 is closing in on A1 and, after the pass is in the air about half-way to A2, the hands of A1 and B1 make contact. Neither A1 or B1 are displaced in any way, the pass was cleanly released and cleanly caught by A2 (even though she quickly dribbled it off her foot and it went OOB).

I heard the "clap" of the hands and the coach standing there had a kitten when I passed. I didn't say anything to him but could not help thinking "Where is the sequence of events did anyone gain an advantage or get disadvantaged."

At the time (if it matters to anyone...I didn't matter to me) it was a three point game. The only reason I know is that I am trying to get into the habit of glancing at the scoreboard periodically to be more aware of the time, foul count (for bonus), etc. Team B ended up winning by double digits.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 04:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I will try to describe the situation completely (and for some, ensure I use proper rule book terminology).

Middle of the 2nd quarter, I am T (two person) table side. A1 executes a two-handed overhead pass to A2 on the other side of the court. B1 is closing in on A1 and, after the pass is in the air about half-way to A2, the hands of A1 and B1 make contact. Neither A1 or B1 are displaced in any way, the pass was cleanly released and cleanly caught by A2 (even though she quickly dribbled it off her foot and it went OOB).

I heard the "clap" of the hands and the coach standing there had a kitten when I passed. I didn't say anything to him but could not help thinking "Where is the sequence of events did anyone gain an advantage or get disadvantaged."

At the time (if it matters to anyone...I didn't matter to me) it was a three point game. The only reason I know is that I am trying to get into the habit of glancing at the scoreboard periodically to be more aware of the time, foul count (for bonus), etc. Team B ended up winning by double digits.
Not a chance, not how you described it.

We had a 2 point game with 5 seconds last night and a poor inbound pass on the backcourt end line was converged on by two players. They collided rather violently with neither having an advantageous position. The ball went out of bounds, which was the only call I had. If I had to call a foul, I'm not even sure who I would've pinned it on.

What did the coach want you to call? Illegal patty-caking?
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NF 4-19-1

A personal foul is a player foul which involves illegal contact with an opponent while the ball is live, which hinders an opponent from performing normal defensive and offensive movements.
By your description, did any of this take place?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 05:03pm
Stubborn Member

Another common misconception about basketball...

It is a contact sport. Just because players touch, audibly or not (referring to the clap sound), doesn't mean there's a foul.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

"If you don't start calling the fouls, someone is going to get hurt."
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Ah, my favorite response. Especially when said loud enough that the idiot fans then start to applaud the comment...

Extremely rare for me to make a call on this play, and probably never as was described. I always say "High Five!" in my head when I see it. I mean that defender is just trying to be a good sport right???!!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
had a 30 point swing yesterday in a BV game where the team that was up 18 lost and the coach was nice enough to let me know that we let it get away.

Total of about 50+ fouls.
2 T's - 1 player ejection

Unfortunately my already subterranean opinion of coaches in respect to being fair or knowing the rules just goes lower each time events like this occur.
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 05:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I have told them, "Then they need to play another sport. Basketball is not for them."

Peace
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 07:49pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
"You're right, coach." WHACK!
Old Wed Jan 06, 2016, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with the others....there is nothing to call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If I had to call a foul, I'm not even sure who I would've pinned it on.
Double foul?