The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Co-Head Coach Whacked

Last night we had the pleasure of having co-head coaches. As the R, I told them whoever is standing will be considered the head coach for the night.

They were both chirping about traveling. I informally told them to watch the player's pivot foot and these were not travels.

A few minutes later the sitting coach was still at it. It was a dead ball and I gave the most official bench warning I have ever given in my young career. I proceed to the center position for our free throw and the sitting coach is still yelling about being a co-head coach......WHACK!

Then a few minutes later in the game, the standing coach (who is now sitting) asks why he wasn't given more leeway.

Wasn't the first time, won't be the last, but seriously, "WHAT THE HELL?!?!?"
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:14am
TODO: creative title here

No such thing as Co-Head Coaches by rule... there's only one Head Coach.

Sounds like you Took Care Of Business... kudos to you.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:17am
Stubborn Member

I would have let them know that there's no such thing as a co-head coach. Therefore, pick one and only he will get any head coach privileges. Which includes the fact that only the head coach is to speak to the officials.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

There is only 1 head coach. When I worked in Southern California there was a team that had "co" head coaches. When I had them they knew my philosophy. The first guy that stood up when the game started was the head coach, everyone else was treated as bench.

They also had some reinforcement when about 1 minute into my first game with them I whacked the coach that was sitting because the hint and warning wasn't enough to get my message across.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 10:39am
certified Hot Mom tester

I had a real co-head coach once

Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
The first guy that stood up when the game started was the head coach, everyone else was treated as bench.
I would say whomever attends the pre-game meeting is the head coach. This is no different than doing a sub varsity game where the "JV" coach is the head coach for the game. I have had the Varsity coach on the bench, when s/he stands up and wants to argue, I remind them, that while they are important, they are not the head coach for the game and are subject to being bench personnel.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post

They were both chirping about traveling. I informally told them to watch the player's pivot foot and these were not travels.
Not to hijack this thread, but assuming these were instances of traveling prior to dribbling.

This year, I have had numerous occasions where I have had to remind coaches that its not always a violation to pick up your pivot foot.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I would say whomever attends the pre-game meeting is the head coach. This is no different than doing a sub varsity game where the "JV" coach is the head coach for the game. I have had the Varsity coach on the bench, when s/he stands up and wants to argue, I remind them, that while they are important, they are not the head coach for the game and are subject to being bench personnel.
No they aren't.

They are an ASSistant for that game if they are on the bench. Treat them accordingly.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 01:12pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

When I have this, I make them choose right away. I'm not going to play a guessing game of who is the head coach, and I'm not going to wait until the game starts to know. If neither stands before one requests a timeout, I want to know who to listen to. If a player needs to be replaced before one of them stands, I want to know who to talk to. If a bench player gets a T before one of them stands, I want to know who gets the indirect T. Advise them they need to pick before the game starts, give them a minute to sort it out in "private," then get the answer.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
No they aren't.
I do what I can do to make everyone feel welcome
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 01:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Only one is going to be the head coach and the other is going to be normal bench personnel that is going to sit just like the players or statistician. It is that simple.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:17pm
Back from the DL

One HC. As someone once said here, deal with the organ grinder, not the monkey.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
In a sub-varsity game around here, the "JV" coach is the JV head coach. There are not air quotes. When I'm working a JV game (always the front end of a JV/V DH), I have absolutely no concern as to whom the Varsity coach may be. I worry about that when the Varsity game is about to start.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

My apologies. We did figure out who was playing the part of the head coach at the pre game conference.

He definitely earned his technical foul. I think the other coach couldn't keep him in check because they hold the same position. Most assistants that get a head coach into some hot water will get a stern look from the head coach and a talking to.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
When I have this, I make them choose right away. I'm not going to play a guessing game of who is the head coach, and I'm not going to wait until the game starts to know. If neither stands before one requests a timeout, I want to know who to listen to. If a player needs to be replaced before one of them stands, I want to know who to talk to. If a bench player gets a T before one of them stands, I want to know who gets the indirect T. Advise them they need to pick before the game starts, give them a minute to sort it out in "private," then get the answer.
When I'm working a team I've never worked before, I ask when we go over for handshakes "who's the boss?". I have partners who will ask the players who the HC is during warm-ups. There is really no excuse for us not to garner that information prior to tip-off.