The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
How about parents, too? Amazing the things I "learn" listening to confident angry parents . . . I particularly love the blood curdling shrieks for a three second call while multiple tips and putbacks are taking place in the key . . .
How about when you don't call the "reach"? That's one of my favorites!
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

coaches test

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentD2222 View Post
For JV/V coaches should have to pass a simplified rules test. Too many wachos shouting 3 seconds and that was a backcourt when they are just ignorant of the rules.
In Wyoming, the HC is required to take the same open book test we do. Our small group has invited the local coaches to take the test with us. (We never do a V game locally, only sub-V)
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 01:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
"call it both ways".
Earlier in the season, I heard this one......17 seconds into the game after one of my P's called a foul!
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

As I reported a foul, apparently against her boy's team, a lady in the stands yelled, "Call it both ways!" With the foul I had just reported, the foul count was 8 to 5, in favor of her team . . . I smiled and looked at the scoreboard. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a man, seated near her, go over and talk to her. . . She didn't say a word for the rest of the game.

Then there was the coach who yelled at me, "You gotta make some calls at the other end!" I smiled, and replied, "I will, coach, in the second half." To which he answered, "OK, then!" and sat down. As I moved away from their bench area, his assistant said, quietly, to me, "I'll explain it to him, later!"
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
As I reported a foul, apparently against her boy's team, a lady in the stands yelled, "Call it both ways!" With the foul I had just reported, the foul count was 8 to 5, in favor of her team . . . I smiled and looked at the scoreboard. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a man, seated near her, go over and talk to her. . . She didn't say a word for the rest of the game.

Then there was the coach who yelled at me, "You gotta make some calls at the other end!" I smiled, and replied, "I will, coach, in the second half." To which he answered, "OK, then!" and sat down. As I moved away from their bench area, his assistant said, quietly, to me, "I'll explain it to him, later!"
I had one where a coach was complaining about the foul count...."The fouls are 7 to 2!!!" Me..."Coach, your team is the one with two". Didn't hear another word from him.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 03:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I had one where a coach was complaining about the foul count...."The fouls are 7 to 2!!!" Me..."Coach, your team is the one with two". Didn't hear another word from him.
Had a coach do that to a partner this season when the count was 8-3 in his favor. Some coaches are just pre-determined to complain. SMH
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

We probably dodged a bullet as a crew Saturday because of a comment one of my partners made to a coach about the foul count.

Middle of the 3rd...count is 7-1 against him and he asks my partner (who had just reported a foul) "How is it possible we have 7 fouls and they have 1?" My partner said "Because we have passed on things that should have been fouls against your girls."
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
We probably dodged a bullet as a crew Saturday because of a comment one of my partners made to a coach about the foul count.

Middle of the 3rd...count is 7-1 against him and he asks my partner (who had just reported a foul) "How is it possible we have 7 fouls and they have 1?" My partner said "Because we have passed on things that should have been fouls against your girls."
I have to remind myself numerous times per game that "silence cannot be quoted" because I have said many things I shouldn't...... I have never used the line you quoted above, but I have responded to the same question with "Because your team has fouled 6 more times than your opponent"........and as soon as I say it I think to myself that I need to just keep my mouth shut or talk with a little more tact.....