The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Who should call the timeout.

I wonder what others think regarding this situation. 2 point game girls high school varsity game last minute. The winning team is trying to break the press and the ball is still in the back court. The winning team's coach is trying to call a timeout. Who should grant that time out? The ref(still the lead/ transitioning to the trail) who has the play directly in front of him and is table side or the C who is the opposite side? This is obviously 3 man. Neither team is in the bonus yet.

Last edited by MIReferee; Thu Dec 17, 2015 at 10:42pm.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 10:34pm
High Five Master

Very oddly worded. How does new lead have play in front of him when ball is in backcourt? And what does bonus sitch have to do with this? Would think C or new T would have best view. To me, new T would also be closest to both audibly and visually verify the request and grant.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Just came back to finish it. The lead called a foul before the timeout was granted. The lead did not want to leave the play in front of him and did not get a visual of the coach.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

C has a perfect view of both coaches and this is an obvious time where you could have a time out. Would be interesting if I could see a video of what the C was doing and how long before the foul the coach wanted a time out.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIReferee View Post
Who should grant that time out?
Who ever hears the request and visually confirms that the winning HC is the one requesting the TO. In a tight game during a press situation, don't hold a whistle because you're waiting for your P to call a TO that's 'his.'
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Who ever hears the request and visually confirms that the winning HC is the one requesting the TO. In a tight game during a press situation, don't hold a whistle because you're waiting for your P to call a TO that's 'his.'
This!

The T and C, since there is a press, may very well be focused on intense pressure in the backcourt. It is a very close game and just because neither team is in the bonus doesn't mean the team trailing will not foul...especially if the offense appears to be on the verge of getting the ball into the front court. Add to that it may be a loud gym and these coaches may be the type to have plays/instructions that sound like "time out".

We are a team out there. I understand that either the T or C "should" be the best ones to grant the time out but every official is responsible for game management.

By the way...a coach cannot "call" a timeout...they can only request one.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIReferee View Post
I wonder what others think regarding this situation. 2 point game girls high school varsity game last minute. The winning team is trying to break the press and the ball is still in the back court. The winning team's coach is trying to call a timeout. Who should grant that time out? The ref(still the lead/ transitioning to the trail) who has the play directly in front of him and is table side or the C who is the opposite side? This is obviously 3 man. Neither team is in the bonus yet.
Maybe you mean "new trail" (you seem to have L and T mixed up a lot in this thread, or I am just envisioning it wrong) for this. I agree this official is least likely to grant the coach's request.

But C and L can both get it. C can see opposite and New L should be standing fairly close to the coach.

All officials need to be aware that it's a prime opportunity for a TO request.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Maybe you mean "new trail" (you seem to have L and T mixed up a lot in this thread, or I am just envisioning it wrong) for this. I agree this official is least likely to grant the coach's request.

But C and L can both get it. C can see opposite and New L should be standing fairly close to the coach.

All officials need to be aware that it's a prime opportunity for a TO request.
Transitioning to the trail probably meant new trail.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 11:08am
Courageous When Prudent

I need the OP re-written so I can understand what was going on. "The winning team is trying to break the press and the ball is still in the back court." / "still the lead/ transitioning to the trail"

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Dec 18, 2015 at 11:10am.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I need the OP re-written so I can understand what was going on. "The winning team is trying to break the press and the ball is still in the back court." / "still the lead/ transitioning to the trail"
I don't think that is necessary... Does the situation really determine who grants the TO? Whomever hears and sees the coach asking for the TO should blow the damn whistle..

If there is something in the officials manual that says something different please show me where to find it.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post
I don't think that is necessary... Does the situation really determine who grants the TO? Whomever hears and sees the coach asking for the TO should blow the damn whistle..

If there is something in the officials manual that says something different please show me where to find it.
No, the situation determines who is in the better position to be looking and listening to the coach. If action is that intense, the L should be looking. The OP is asking (I think) which official should be looking and then incorrectly (we think) labels the officials.

BNR isn't trying to be a dick, he's trying to understand the question better so he can answer it.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
No, the situation determines who is in the better position to be looking and listening to the coach. If action is that intense, the L should be looking. The OP is asking (I think) which official should be looking and then incorrectly (we think) labels the officials.

BNR isn't trying to be a dick, he's trying to understand the question better so he can answer it.
And to make it clear I didn't think that anyone was trying to be a dick.... and neither an I.

I realize that one MAY BE in a better position but it still should be the one that sees and hears the request being made regardless of his position on the floor.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 12:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And to make it clear I didn't think that anyone was trying to be a dick.... and neither an I.

I realize that one MAY BE in a better position but it still should be the one that sees and hears the request being made regardless of his position on the floor.
I really didn't think you were, or that you were accusing him of doing it. I was being a bit proactive, I suppose, knowing where these things tend to go. It wasn't really fair to you to put it in there, though.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 01:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Well, if there is a trap going on in the BC, the person with the least going on at that moment is almost always going to be the new Lead. If I'm him, I'm keeping an eye on the coach. Plus since this is the end of the game, the Lead is also going to be closest to the HC requesting the time-out.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, if there is a trap going on in the BC, the person with the least going on at that moment is almost always going to be the new Lead. If I'm him, I'm keeping an eye on the coach. Plus since this is the end of the game, the Lead is also going to be closest to the HC requesting the time-out.
Not really true. Sometimes it'll be the case.