The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 05:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
It is an option, but not necessarily a good one. Every official knows what their partner means, whether you're going to admit it or not is something else.

As for good methods, anything that lets your partners/players/coaches know the player wasn't in the act of shooting. Some sort of, "NO SHOT!" tends to be the best since it applies to so many situations.

"On the floor" can make you look like an idiot. Players jumps and your call on the foul is that he was passing the ball, not shooting. The moment you say "ON THE FLOOR!" you're going to get murdered. You just told everyone you thought the obvious airborne passer(shooter in their eyes) was on the floor.
My biggest issue with "on the floor" is that most of the time, the shooting motion begins discernibly before the player leaves the floor. It actually means nothing and perpetuates a myth. It really is similar, in my view, to "over the back" and "reaching in" being used by officials.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 07:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
Could be worse...you could end up with an interrupted dribble.
As long as "illegal use of hands" and "holding" are allowed, I'm OK.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Not to hijack but for those of you who don't like "on the floor", what do you use or prefer? I don't mind it. I know that every call technically happens "on the floor" but I still catch myself using it at times. I try to wave off and say "before the shot" but old habits die hard.
The reason you don't say "On The Floor" around here is because we have one smartass official who, if you do, at halftime or after the game will ask you, "WHY DID YOU CALL THAT FOUL ON THE FLOOR? WHAT DID THE FLOOR DO?!?!?!?"
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Agree new wording needed

I am glad the discussion returned to my question about backcourt violations (I quickly learned not to use meaningless "old school" terms and phrases). As I originally alluded to I believe that the backcourt violation interpretation was not sufficiently updated when NFHS created "team control fouls" and then had to quickly rule that there was "team control" during throw ins. It would be much clearer if the rules clearly stated that has to be player control in front court after a throw in.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 09:21pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
The reason you don't say "On The Floor" around here is because we have one smartass official who, if you do, at halftime or after the game will ask you, "WHY DID YOU CALL THAT FOUL ON THE FLOOR? WHAT DID THE FLOOR DO?!?!?!?"

Ha!! That's funny and will be very helpful in not using that phrase anymore. I'll hopefully recall that the floor can't foul anyone.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 12:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl M Johanson View Post
...It would be much clearer if the rules clearly stated that has to be player control in front court after a throw in.
It doesn't need to be in the FC, just inbounds at some point.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 11:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl M Johanson View Post
I am glad the discussion returned to my question about backcourt violations (I quickly learned not to use meaningless "old school" terms and phrases). As I originally alluded to I believe that the backcourt violation interpretation was not sufficiently updated when NFHS created "team control fouls" and then had to quickly rule that there was "team control" during throw ins. It would be much clearer if the rules clearly stated that has to be player control in front court after a throw in.
This is a problem many here have predicted each year as the NFHS failed to adequately fix the rule to match their (repeatedly) stated intention: not affecting anything except whether free throws are shot.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
All I'm saying is that judgements and generalizations do not help anyone. But forgive me for not remembering that a few guys on here are the best referees ever and have never messed anything up and can only be bothered to leave the house to work Duke vs Carolina.

In my very humble opinion, you could use a very real dose of humility. If you read my post, I stated I was aware that I needed to try to get rid of the statement and simply asked what some of the other phrases were that guys used. Nobody needs you to imply they are a lesser official or a fanboy. But I'll wear that mantle proudly. It's why I'm here. Trying to get better and hell yes I'm a fan. I love this game, it's one of the reasons I call.
Don't be ridiculous. This is a forum for grown adults who often have differing opinions. I didn't bully you, or call you a fanboy. But yes, often fanboys are the ones yelling "on the floor." And I'm only a high school official, and I'm not afraid to admit it, so you can take your Duke-UNC comment elsewhere.

Don't attack my humility because you got butthurt about me making a statement that upset you.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Camps I attend only care about that verbiage when the rule is being kicked. If the official making that ruling is correct, then observers/supervisors don't care.
Any camp I've ever been to, clinicians most certainly care about an official saying "on the floor." But you and I go to different types of camps I'm sure.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Any camp I've ever been to, clinicians most certainly care about an official saying "on the floor." But you and I go to different types of camps I'm sure.
How would you even know this? What does different types of camps mean?
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
How would you even know this? What does different types of camps mean?
Because I've been to my fair share of camps and not one clinician that I remember has failed to correct an official using "on the floor"?

College vs. high school
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because I've been to my fair share of camps and not one clinician that I remember has failed to correct an official using "on the floor"?

College vs. high school
I can't recall this ever happening at a camp. Then again, I can't recall anyone ever saying "on the floor" at a camp.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 07:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Don't Say ...

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post927149
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 08:00am
High Five Master

Quote:
"On the floor" is fanboy and wreck league talk.

Didn't call me a fanboy? Weird how that is exactly what you did and now deny it.

If you don't like the verbiage, I was looking for input on what words you use, not to be insulted. I'm not butthurt, but I'm not going to be chastised either.

Contrary to popular belief around here at times, it's pretty easy to not be a jerk when replying

I wish I had a cool signature