The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Over and Back ? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100516-over-back.html)

Karl M Johanson Wed Dec 16, 2015 04:10am

Over and Back ?

NFHS rules:
A1 has a throw in along the sideline, the throw in touches A2 in A's front court and bounces into back court where it is touched by A3. Is it Over and Back?

I believe that when the rule was changed to create team control fouls the rule makers then had to rule that the ball was in team control during a throw in and thus this possibly changed the ruling to over and back. However, the rules now state that for it to be O & B the ball must first be in Team Control "in the front court." But a throw in is from out of bounds and therefore has no status.

It will be over and back if the touch by A2 establishes team control in the front court and is the last touch in front court all at the same time.

Camron Rust Wed Dec 16, 2015 05:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl M Johanson (Post 973078)
NFHS rules:
A1 has a throw in along the sideline, the throw in touches A2 in A's front court and bounces into back court where it is touched by A3. Is it Over and Back?

I believe that when the rule was changed to create team control fouls the rule makers then had to rule that the ball was in team control during a throw in and thus this possibly changed the ruling to over and back. However, the rules now state that for it to be O & B the ball must first be in Team Control "in the front court." But a throw in is from out of bounds and therefore has no status.

It will be over and back if the touch by A2 establishes team control in the front court and is the last touch in front court all at the same time.

No violation.

The NFHS really messed up the this area but has made it clear that there should be no change in the way backcourt violations are to be called.

There must be team control inbounds by the OLD definition of team control before the backcourt violation rules are in effect.

Raymond Wed Dec 16, 2015 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl M Johanson (Post 973078)
NFHS rules:

They need verbiage to state that PC is required inbounds before any BC violation can occur.

ODog Wed Dec 16, 2015 08:52am

... and the title of this thread needs to be changed to "Backcourt?"

"Over and back" needs to disappear along with other hacky fanspeak phrases like "over the back," "reaching in," "on the floor," etc.

And sadly, these get a TON of use in our fraternity too :(

#olderthanilook Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 973088)

"Over and back" needs to disappear along with other hacky fanspeak phrases like "over the back," "reaching in," "on the floor," etc.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

OKREF Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 973088)

I agree. "Over and back", just sounds bad.

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:54am

Not to hijack but for those of you who don't like "on the floor", what do you use or prefer? I don't mind it. I know that every call technically happens "on the floor" but I still catch myself using it at times. I try to wave off and say "before the shot" but old habits die hard.

I wish I had a cool signature

Raymond Wed Dec 16, 2015 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 973113)
Not to hijack but for those of you who don't like "on the floor", what do you use or prefer? I don't mind it. I know that every call technically happens "on the floor" but I still catch myself using it at times. I try to wave off and say "before the shot" but old habits die hard.

I occasionally let "on the floor" slip out. But I also try "on the dribble", "before the shot", "no shot".

SC Official Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:01am

Oh, no! ANOTHER backcourt thread? :D

(Not a violation per NFHS interp.)

OKREF Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:02am

Quote:

"No shot"

SC Official Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:05am

Quote:

"On the floor" is fanboy and wreck league talk.

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 973120)
"On the floor" is fanboy and wreck league talk.

Odd then that it continues in the vernacular of a LOT of referees.
Judgmental much?

SC Official Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 973122)
Odd then that it continues in the vernacular of a LOT of referees.
Judgmental much?

And more often than not, those referees aren't working high-level games. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Judgmental? Find me a camp that teaches officials that it's acceptable to say "on the floor."

Raymond Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 973124)
And more often than not, those referees aren't working high-level games. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Judgmental? Find me a camp that teaches officials that it's acceptable to say "on the floor."

Camps I attend only care about that verbiage when the rule is being kicked. If the official making that ruling is correct, then observers/supervisors don't care.

#olderthanilook Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 973133)
Camps I attend only care about that verbiage when the rule is being kicked. If the official making that ruling is correct, then observers/supervisors don't care.

I'm assuming you are referencing experiences at college level camps.