The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 04:10am
Official Forum Member

Over and Back ?

NFHS rules:
A1 has a throw in along the sideline, the throw in touches A2 in A's front court and bounces into back court where it is touched by A3. Is it Over and Back?

I believe that when the rule was changed to create team control fouls the rule makers then had to rule that the ball was in team control during a throw in and thus this possibly changed the ruling to over and back. However, the rules now state that for it to be O & B the ball must first be in Team Control "in the front court." But a throw in is from out of bounds and therefore has no status.

It will be over and back if the touch by A2 establishes team control in the front court and is the last touch in front court all at the same time.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 05:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl M Johanson View Post
NFHS rules:
A1 has a throw in along the sideline, the throw in touches A2 in A's front court and bounces into back court where it is touched by A3. Is it Over and Back?

I believe that when the rule was changed to create team control fouls the rule makers then had to rule that the ball was in team control during a throw in and thus this possibly changed the ruling to over and back. However, the rules now state that for it to be O & B the ball must first be in Team Control "in the front court." But a throw in is from out of bounds and therefore has no status.

It will be over and back if the touch by A2 establishes team control in the front court and is the last touch in front court all at the same time.
No violation.

The NFHS really messed up the this area but has made it clear that there should be no change in the way backcourt violations are to be called.

There must be team control inbounds by the OLD definition of team control before the backcourt violation rules are in effect.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 08:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl M Johanson View Post
NFHS rules:

They need verbiage to state that PC is required inbounds before any BC violation can occur.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

... and the title of this thread needs to be changed to "Backcourt?"

"Over and back" needs to disappear along with other hacky fanspeak phrases like "over the back," "reaching in," "on the floor," etc.

And sadly, these get a TON of use in our fraternity too
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

"Over and back" needs to disappear along with other hacky fanspeak phrases like "over the back," "reaching in," "on the floor," etc.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 09:51am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

I agree. "Over and back", just sounds bad.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 09:54am
High Five Master

Not to hijack but for those of you who don't like "on the floor", what do you use or prefer? I don't mind it. I know that every call technically happens "on the floor" but I still catch myself using it at times. I try to wave off and say "before the shot" but old habits die hard.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 09:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Not to hijack but for those of you who don't like "on the floor", what do you use or prefer? I don't mind it. I know that every call technically happens "on the floor" but I still catch myself using it at times. I try to wave off and say "before the shot" but old habits die hard.

I occasionally let "on the floor" slip out. But I also try "on the dribble", "before the shot", "no shot".
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Oh, no! ANOTHER backcourt thread?

(Not a violation per NFHS interp.)
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 10:02am
NFHS Official

Quote:

"No shot"
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"On the floor" is fanboy and wreck league talk.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 10:14am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
"On the floor" is fanboy and wreck league talk.

Odd then that it continues in the vernacular of a LOT of referees.
Judgmental much?

Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Odd then that it continues in the vernacular of a LOT of referees.
Judgmental much?

And more often than not, those referees aren't working high-level games. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Judgmental? Find me a camp that teaches officials that it's acceptable to say "on the floor."
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 10:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
And more often than not, those referees aren't working high-level games. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Judgmental? Find me a camp that teaches officials that it's acceptable to say "on the floor."
Camps I attend only care about that verbiage when the rule is being kicked. If the official making that ruling is correct, then observers/supervisors don't care.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Camps I attend only care about that verbiage when the rule is being kicked. If the official making that ruling is correct, then observers/supervisors don't care.
I'm assuming you are referencing experiences at college level camps.