The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

NCAA New Mechanic FYI

OFFICIALS: EEFECTIVE IMMEDIATLEY: The Mechanics Committee has now approved a mechanic for the following: When an offensive player leaves the playing floor under his own volition and upon his return to the floor he is the first to touch the ball it is a violation. The mechanic will be the same as a delayed Free Throw violation by the defense. When the player leaves the floor, the official who recognizes (usually the lead) the potential violation will put his arm straight out with a closed fist, indicating a delayed violation. This will notify his partners, players and coaches that there is a delayed violation, when the player who left the floor is the first to touch the ball after he returns to the floor, the violation will then be called. Once the ball is touched by another player after the player returns to the floor, the delayed signal will then be dropped by the official.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
OFFICIALS: EEFECTIVE IMMEDIATLEY: The Mechanics Committee has now approved a mechanic for the following: When an offensive player leaves the playing floor under his own volition and upon his return to the floor he is the first to touch the ball it is a violation. The mechanic will be the same as a delayed Free Throw violation by the defense. When the player leaves the floor, the official who recognizes (usually the lead) the potential violation will put his arm straight out with a closed fist, indicating a delayed violation. This will notify his partners, players and coaches that there is a delayed violation, when the player who left the floor is the first to touch the ball after he returns to the floor, the violation will then be called. Once the ball is touched by another player after the player returns to the floor, the delayed signal will then be dropped by the official.
I hate how they say "first" because that is not how it is actually called and administered. The player who currently has the ball is the first. They should say either "next" or something similar so that exempts the player who has the ball. As it is currently worded, if the pass is released after the player gets back inbounds, it should be legal.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Dec 15, 2015 at 06:39pm.
Old Tue Dec 15, 2015, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed on the wording (NCAAW is the same; and I've had the same thought for several years), but I do like the mechanic.
Old Wed Dec 16, 2015, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the by, this would be NCAAM only (for now). NCAAW hasn't put out anything in this regard.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I hate how they say "first" because that is not how it is actually called and administered. The player who currently has the ball is the first. They should say either "next" or something similar so that exempts the player who has the ball. As it is currently worded, if the pass is released after the player gets back inbounds, it should be legal.
Maybe "first to receive a pass" or something to that nature
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do you work college ball? Do these sort of mechanical additions/changes happen often?
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 12:47am
Administrator

This rule change was made for the 2004-05 and yet it took this long for the Rules Committees decided that the officials needed a mechanic for it, !

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

I've already called it twice this season after never calling it - but coming close - in the ten season prior. The hardest part of making the call was figuring out what signal to use. I opted for some hybrid of over-and-back and the spot violation.

Surprisingly, once of the coaches affected by the violation knew what I was calling. The other had no clue.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 08:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Do you work college ball? Do these sort of mechanical additions/changes happen often?
We've had rules changes in the middle of the season before.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 09:15am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We've had rules changes in the middle of the season before.

This isn't a rule change. The rule was added for the 2004-05 season. The Rules Committee is just now getting around to adding a mechanic for the violation.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 09:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
This isn't a rule change. The rule was added for the 2004-05 season. The Rules Committee is just now getting around to adding a mechanic for the violation.

MTD, Sr.
I didn't say it was. I'm saying they've actually changed rules in the middle of the season, so a mechanic/signal change is minor in comparison.

And I've been reffing college ball at some level or another since 2003, so I was around for the rule change you are referencing.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 09:40am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I didn't say it was. I'm saying they've actually changed rules in the middle of the season, so a mechanic/signal change is minor in comparison.

And I've been reffing college ball at some level or another since 2003, so I was around for the rule change you are referencing.

BNR:

Okay. I have been jumping in and out of this thread so I may have missed the context of your post.

2003!! I officiated college ball from 1974 to 2008. Dang I am old, LOL!!

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 09:44am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
BNR:

Okay. I have been jumping in and out of this thread so I may have missed the context of your post.

2003!! I officiated college ball from 1974 to 2008. Dang I am old, LOL!!

MTD, Sr.
I'm old also, but not quite that old...I didn't ref my first game of any type until 6 months after my 37th birthday.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
It is not often, but it has happen where rules or interpretations have happen after the season has started. Like the "upward motion" interpretation in the middle of the season a couple of years ago.

Peace