The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 10, 2015, 11:44pm
High Five Master

Oops

Junior high game tonight. We are talking to AD before game and she says they will have the A game first followed by one quarter of B. So, we do those, dress out and head for the house. About 2 min down road and Bluetooth goes off in car. It's the AD, wondering where we are since they have a whole another game to play for 8th grade. So, we turned around, suited up again and played another full game and another extra quarter. All in all, pretty good check for the night but sorta embarrassing to walk back out onto that floor.

Lesson learned will be to make sure to verify total number of games when talking to staff before tipoff.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Junior high game tonight. We are talking to AD before game and she says they will have the A game first followed by one quarter of B. So, we do those, dress out and head for the house. About 2 min down road and Bluetooth goes off in car. It's the AD, wondering where we are since they have a whole another game to play for 8th grade. So, we turned around, suited up again and played another full game and another extra quarter. All in all, pretty good check for the night but sorta embarrassing to walk back out onto that floor.

Lesson learned will be to make sure to verify total number of games when talking to staff before tipoff.

Haha I hear what you're saying about verifying...but you were just going off of what she said. The A game followed by one quarter of B!!
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 12:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

so basically she told you that you were going to do a free quarter.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 06:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Such Thing As A Free Lunch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
... so basically she told you that you were going to do a free quarter.
Extra B period here for some big city middle schools assigned by our high school assignment commissioner. Some adjust the time of the periods, others adjust the payment.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 07:10am
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
so basically she told you that you were going to do a free quarter.

No no no sir. It's a frequent thing here to do an extra quarter, half, or three quarters. If we do 1 or 2 extra, it is paid as 1/2 a game fee. If we do 3 extra, it is a full game fee. A majority do one quarter and run the clock. Not a bad gig really.

Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 08:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post

Shouldn't you know the number of games when you accept the assignment?
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
JH ball is like a box a chocolates.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That's what I was wondering. Sounds like the assignment was made by notepad and telephone. And not very well, at that.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 09:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
JH ball is like a box a chocolates.
Not where I work. They get assigned just like any other game (except, here it's middle school instead of JH).

We're constantly told to treat all games the same, but because it's junior high or middle school it's alright to add and subtract games on a whim, to expect officials to show up not knowing the amount of games to be officiated?

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Dec 11, 2015 at 09:28am.
Old Fri Dec 11, 2015, 11:23am
High Five Master

Actually no, the assn does not indicate anything regarding # of games on Arbiter. Also don't allow us to block partners or schools in system either. I'm a very small fish in that pond and would prefer it work a little more efficiently but I don't get to make that call. I don't know that it matters but our assn is 190 officials for like 90 schools with all levels (JH, fresh, JV, V) and I don't know for sure if schools relay fifth quarters to our assignor. My view is that most of the time, it's added that night after both coaches agree. I'm already there, we get paid for it and most of time, it's running clock for kids who would not normally get much court time. Doesn't really bother me that much. I just adjust on the fly and get er done. My OP was just relaying a game that will make a funny story for me. It was annoying at the time but overall is it really a big deal to have every single minuscule detail spelled out before a game?

I just always assume a doubleheader but adding a quarter every once in a while is no big deal to me. My assumption last night backfired. I thought the B game was being shortened when it was just the opposite.