The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

From my perch: After working 5 games so far, I've called more fouls on post-play defense this season that ever before. For one reason, the POE's regarding post-play have changed my perspective. Defenders just can't seem to keep two hands on the hips and back of post players who are executing post up and spin moves. Teams are into the bonus FT's earlier in the game than I've seen before due to this.

I watched a NCAA game other night, those refs were calling lots of freedom of movement 'holds' in the post area--lotsa whistles--which is what we all want in the end.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
From my perch: After working 5 games so far, I've called more fouls on post-play defense this season that ever before. For one reason, the POE's regarding post-play have changed my perspective. Defenders just can't seem to keep two hands on the hips and back of post players who are executing post up and spin moves. Teams are into the bonus FT's earlier in the game than I've seen before due to this.

I watched a NCAA game other night, those refs were calling lots of freedom of movement 'holds' in the post area--lotsa whistles--which is what we all want in the end.
Actually, I think that in the end what we REALLY want is the post players to get their hands off.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 03:28pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Actually, I think that in the end what we REALLY want is the post players to get their hands off.

Not exactly true. I would imagine many of the fouls Kref saw called in the NCAA game were actually holds. In contrast to NFHS, NCAA-M can have an arm bar pressed into the back of the post player and keep it there even when the post player gets the ball, as long as they are not using that arm bar to dislodge the opponent. Basically, if they are providing resistance rather than causing movement, then they can keep their arm bar. In NFHS, as soon as the post player receives the ball, the defender has to remove the arm bar.
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
*Tru dat W & S: But until the B4's and B5's start playing proper post defense, then we do want all those whistles--keep poppin dat whistle baby!
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you say so. I did not start calling "Two hands on the dribbler" as an automatic foul in a NF game until they added 10-6-12. I never looked at the other contact rules under 10-6 as the same thing and no one else seemed to believe that because they had to add the last part of that rule.

Peace
Precisely my point again. You and others were not getting it. They tried to tell us that and since it obviously wan't working for you, they changed the wording to get people to get it. And you're still not realizing you were not getting it.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 01:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Precisely my point again. You and others were not getting it. They tried to tell us that and since it obviously wan't working for you, they changed the wording to get people to get it. And you're still not realizing you were not getting it.
I get what you are saying, I just do not agree with you. It is OK to disagree. Never heard anyone suggest that 10-6-12 was the interpretation or ever saw that in practice before the rule was put into place.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I get what you are saying, I just do not agree with you. It is OK to disagree. Never heard anyone suggest that 10-6-12 was the interpretation or ever saw that in practice before the rule was put into place.

Peace
And THAT was the problem.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 06:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Officials To Blame ...

Quote:
Agree with Camron Rust. That's how the change, or lack of, was explained to us.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 10:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It might have been a problem, but who created the problem? If you want people to apply a rule that you are only assuming that others understand, you have a problem. But to suggest that was the rule is also not accurate. Also there was no such interpretation that made those things specifically a foul.

Now before the NF put the rules in place, the IHSA adopted the "NCAA Guidelines" that ended up being NF Rules a year after (or two years after) to direct how they wanted these plays to be called. And the IHSA referenced RSBQ as well as a way to determine other types of contact. And if I recall people like yourself told people not to use RSBQ and now in all interpretations RSBQ was used as a way to figure out many fouls with the players on the floor and certainly the ball handler.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was never a rule on hand-checking except for what was stated the last 2 years or so. There were some guidelines, but not a rule. I have been officiating since the 90s and we used to use other philosophies that may or may not have been a foul that we call now.

Peace
The rule which says an opponent SHALL not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless such contact is with opponents hand while it on ball etc…has been in the books forever. That covers hand checking very clearly.

In the 60s, 70s and early 80s the game was played without hands and it was called if one or both were used. Late eighties and nineties hands being used more and more. Somebody decided to start applying advantage/disadvantage to it. Wrongly imo. We had individual referees trying to determine what was an advantage and what wasn't. Not good. They tried using POEs to stop hand checking but people still weren't calling it because they were thinking advantage/rsbq….Finally, it was realized that they needed to spell it out very, very, very clearly. We have the automatics. They are saying, don't think, just call it. The rule has always been there to cover hand checking.

I know what you are saying. In the early 90s the college camp clinicians were saying don't call it if player going east and west…only north or south. I didn't like it then or at any time. Offenses run east west…Anyway, the game is finally coming back around to what it was. IMO it is much better this way.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The rule which says an opponent SHALL not contact an opponent with his/her hand unless such contact is with opponents hand while it on ball etc…has been in the books forever. That covers hand checking very clearly.
I did not say there was not a rule for hand-checking previously to the addition of Article 12.

But two hands on the ball handler was never clearly spelled out in the rules until they added Article. Those all were added how we call the game or got rid of the wiggle room of interpretation. Interpretations are different than hard-fast rules.

Quote:
In the 60s, 70s and early 80s the game was played without hands and it was called if one or both were used. Late eighties and nineties hands being used more and more. Somebody decided to start applying advantage/disadvantage to it. Wrongly imo. We had individual referees trying to determine what was an advantage and what wasn't. Not good. They tried using POEs to stop hand checking but people still weren't calling it because they were thinking advantage/rsbq….Finally, it was realized that they needed to spell it out very, very, very clearly. We have the automatics. They are saying, don't think, just call it. The rule has always been there to cover hand checking.
POEs are the worst ways to get an interpretation applied when it already does not support a rule.

Quote:
I know what you are saying. In the early 90s the college camp clinicians were saying don't call it if player going east and west…only north or south. I didn't like it then or at any time. Offenses run east west…Anyway, the game is finally coming back around to what it was. IMO it is much better this way.
This was more than what a clinician told you, there was not a specific rule to tell us what should be called. I had called hand-checking or arm bars in the game in the 90s and only was told how that was not a foul. Now when I call those specific fouls and do not have to consider RSBQ, I have a rule that I can clearly reference.

It was more than what a clinician told us to do at a camp, it was hard call something that did not have a clear rule.

Supervisors say all the time and have been saying for a very long time, "I can defend a judgment, I cannot defend not knowing the rules." Well we have rules that stops a lot of that activity and we have support to call it that way. Again, never did I ever call "two hands" on a dribbler a foul automatically like I do now. The rule makes that very clear what to do just like I have rules on verticality when a coach asks for a foul (like he did last night) and why I called a PC foul when a player had LGP. No interpretation, a rule.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Compared to two years ago, the difference is night and day. We have coaches complaining more that it doesn't get called enough, and a lot of coaches railing on the players to keep their hands off. Makes our job a little easier...
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodros_nemesis View Post
Compared to two years ago, the difference is night and day. We have coaches complaining more that it doesn't get called enough, and a lot of coaches railing on the players to keep their hands off. Makes our job a little easier...
That is why the "rule" helped. Actually the first year this rule was put in place I had many coaches saying, "You cannot do that anymore" to their players. As you said, we get more crap when we do not call a foul than when we actually call a foul. Even when coaches are upset, they often direct their attitude towards the players.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is why the "rule" helped. Actually the first year this rule was put in place I had many coaches saying, "You cannot do that anymore" to their players. As you said, we get more crap when we do not call a foul than when we actually call a foul. Even when coaches are upset, they often direct their attitude towards the players.

Peace
During the first year, I overheard a lot of coaches saying, "Do it until you get called, then stop. If they don't call it, don't stop." Bugs me when the coach essentially tells his players to cheat unless they get caught.
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodros_nemesis View Post
During the first year, I overheard a lot of coaches saying, "Do it until you get called, then stop. If they don't call it, don't stop." Bugs me when the coach essentially tells his players to cheat unless they get caught.
It's exactly how I would coach as well -- I just wouldn't say it within earshot of the officials.