The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I know that when the referee is ready and until the ball is tossed nonjumpers shall not move onto the circle or change positions around the circle. When is the referee ready? Is it when he enters the circle for the toss or just before he tosses it? I've also have heard nonjumpers cannot move until the ball is tossed. How strict are officials with this? Would simply bending over cause a violation or moving your arms? What type of movement by a nonjumper would get a violation (I already know moving into occupied space or having a foot break the circle plane would)?
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by fan
When is the referee ready? Is it when he enters the circle for the toss or just before he tosses it?
Usually the referee is "ready" when s/he steps into the center circle.

Quote:
I've also have heard nonjumpers cannot move until the ball is tossed. How strict are officials with this?
This is a myth. Usually, when the ref is ready, he'll say something like "Ok, hold your spots", b/c the players around the circle cannot change their position on the circle. He's warning them that he's "ready" and they have to keep the spot they're on. But coaches and players sometimes think that the ref is talking to everybody, and that's just not true. The warning is only for the players on the circle. Anybody off of the circle can go anywhere they want on the court. (Except for moving onto the center circle.)

Hope that helps.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Here's the rule:

"JUMP-BALL ADMINISTRATION
ART. 1 . . . For any jump ball, each jumper shall have both feet within that half of the center restraining circle which is farther from his/her basket.
ART. 2 . . . When the referee is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers shall not:
a. Move onto the center restraining circle.
b. Change position around the center restraining circle.

ART. 3 . . . Teammates may not occupy adjacent positions around the center restraining circle if an opponent indicates a desire for one of these positions before the referee is ready to toss the ball.

ART. 4 . . . The referee shall then toss the ball upward between the jumpers in a plane at right angles to the sidelines. The toss shall be to a height greater than either of them can jump so that it will drop between them.
ART. 5 . . . Until the tossed ball is touched by one or both jumpers, nonjumpers shall not:

a. Have either foot break the plane of the center restraining circle cylinder.
b. Take a position in any occupied space.

ART. 6 . . . The tossed ball must be touched by one or both of the jumpers after it reaches its highest point. If the ball contacts the floor without being touched by at least one of the jumpers, the referee shall toss it again.

ART. 7 . . . Neither jumper shall:

a. Touch the tossed ball before it reaches its highest point.
b. Leave the center restraining circle until the ball has been touched.
c. Catch the jump ball.
d. Touch the ball more than twice.

The jump ball and these restrictions end when the touched ball contacts one of the eight nonjumpers, the floor, a basket or backboard.

NOTE: During a jump ball, a jumper is not required to face his/her own basket, provided he/she is in the proper half of the center restraining circle. The jumper is also not required to jump and attempt to touch the tossed ball. However, if neither jumper touches the ball it should be tossed again with both jumpers being ordered to jump and try to touch the ball."

Your question about when is the referee ready is a good one. I'd have to say just prior to his tossing of the ball, but it is a gray area.

The nonjumpers ARE allowed to move. The ones on the circle may back off anytime they wish, and those not on the circle can be running around the whole time in any direction they choose. There is NO REQUIREMENT that they remain still. That is simply a myth.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Angry

D@mn you, Chuck!

Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

At fifty cents a word . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by fan
When is the referee ready? Is it when he enters the circle for the toss or just before he tosses it?
Usually the referee is "ready" when s/he steps into the center circle.

Quote:
I've also have heard nonjumpers cannot move until the ball is tossed. How strict are officials with this?
This is a myth. Usually, when the ref is ready, he'll say something like "Ok, hold your spots", b/c the players around the circle cannot change their position on the circle. He's warning them that he's "ready" and they have to keep the spot they're on. But coaches and players sometimes think that the ref is talking to everybody, and that's just not true. The warning is only for the players on the circle. Anybody off of the circle can go anywhere they want on the court. (Except for moving onto the center circle.)

Hope that helps.
I say, pointing: "You're on the circle, hold your spots," then pointing beyond: "You'se are off the circle, you can move but don't come on." Players generally give me that 'what is he talking about' look.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mcdanrd Send a message via AIM to mcdanrd Send a message via Yahoo to mcdanrd
We have been instructed to give a blast of the whistle before stepping into the center restraining circle for the toss. I use that blast of the whistle as the signal that I am ready.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcdanrd
We have been instructed to give a blast of the whistle before stepping into the center restraining circle for the toss. I use that blast of the whistle as the signal that I am ready.
Just remember to spit that shistle out then. I've heard of guys getting hit in the face with their whistle in their mouth and chipping or losing a tooth.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

A question ?

Okay, player cannot move once R is ready. How about player on the circle-no one to his left- ball is tossed then player moves to the left ??? Legal or not ??
Well I guess Nevadref already answered this but i wanted to join in anyway ..
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Can a player line up stradling the division line during the jump ball (NFHS & College)?

Is this a myth or a rule? I looked through the rules on jump ball administration and couldn't find it anywhere.

Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

You could not find it becaise it's not there. You can line up around the circle any where you want.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
Okay, player cannot move once R is ready. How about player on the circle-no one to his left- ball is tossed then player moves to the left ??? Legal or not ??
Well I guess Nevadref already answered this but i wanted to join in anyway ..
Been taking your CBOA exam?
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
Is this a myth or a rule? I looked through the rules on jump ball administration and couldn't find it anywhere.

Your post is a great example of why officials (of all levels of experience) need to consistently review the rule book, case book, and official's manual. Keep in mind that the premise of the rule book is: unless there is a specific rule that prohibits the action it is legal.

Recently, I was working a Jr. High Tourney and a coach "informed me" that #32 of the opposing team was chewing gum. I understood his concern for her safety, but which rule do you cite to justify the official's authority to have the player remove the gum?
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

The big sign on the wall that says, "NO GUM CHEWING IN THE GYM."

Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

CBOA Exam

Been taking your CBOA exam?

NEV. Ref. Actually been studying for it.Today we have our first scrimmages where we get evaluated, again. I will make it up to your neck of the woods and hopefully catch a game you are doing this year.
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 09:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Recently, I was working a Jr. High Tourney and a coach "informed me" that #32 of the opposing team was chewing gum. I understood his concern for her safety, but which rule do you cite to justify the official's authority to have the player remove the gum?
I do not understand the safety issue of chewing gum that has, from time to time, been an expressed concern of coaches and officials. It's as if many folks have never suffered from that lack of saliva in their mouths, which I used to call "cotton mouth", where your mouth is so dry that you couldn't spit.
Chewing gum fixes that, ... and then the players have that great after game breath.
mick