The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 11:45am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I only get two, or three, varsity prep school games (only eight such schools in our local area) a year. My local interpreter makes available a handout on prep school rule differences (NCAA/NFHS hybrid), including a short synopsis of shot clock rules. I just downloaded and read through the handout yesterday knowing that I have a varsity prep school game next week. I keep the laminated handout (with a short synopsis of shot clock rules) in my bag and make it part of every varsity prep school pregame conference. I sleep well at night knowing that I've done enough to make me a pretty good prep school official.

However, I've been officiating with NFHS rules for thirty-five years (thousands of games) and I'm still stymied by a few of the rules, and interpretations, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that I'm occasionally stymied by NCAA rules, especially shot clock rules.

And it doesn't help that there's usually a poorly trained kid at the table, usually pulled out of the bleachers, working the shot clock that knows less about shot clock rules than a tree stump.

I feel that I've done my job preparing for such games, but it's still great to get an NCAA partner to confidently deal with the shot clock problems that often arise.
I just do not agree with the approach that since you only work a limited amount of those games that you should not be held to same standards as a college official working those same games.

We would not accept a college official working a NFHS game to say "I hope my partner is a seasoned HS officials because I don't know HS rules as well as I know college rules."

And the fact that poorly trained shot clock operators are at the table is all the more reason to dedicate yourself to knowing Connecticut prep school shot-clock rules as thoroughly as you should know NFHS/IAABO rules.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Experience ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I just do not agree with the approach that since you only work a limited amount of those games that you should not be held to same standards as a college official working those same games ... to dedicate yourself to knowing Connecticut prep school shot-clock rules as thoroughly as you should know NFHS/IAABO rules.
I know shot clock rules to the best of my ability depending on what's the handout that we're given, and responsible to interpret. Sometimes things get really weird, things that aren't covered on the short synopsis handout, things that are occasionally discussed by college guys here on the Forum (recent one: where ball is inbounded after specific type of shot clock violation).

Experience plays a big part of understanding (not just memorizing) a rule set.

Quote:
... I've been officiating with NFHS rules for thirty-five years (thousands of games) and I'm still stymied by a few of the rules, and interpretations, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that I'm occasionally stymied by NCAA rules, especially shot clock rules.
That's why my comfort level goes way up when I work such a game with a college guy. He's more experienced with shot clocks than me, and will definitely have more expertise when something weird happens, and will be able to react quickly to such a situation, due to his experience level, while I stand there scratching my head trying to figure out what was on the handout regarding this weird situation.

At any level, the more experience one has, the better official one will probably be. For all intents and purposes, I'm a second year prep school official. Knowing the rules is great, but there's no substitute for experience.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 06, 2015 at 12:17pm.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 12:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I know shot clock rules to the best of my ability depending on what's the handout that we're given, and responsible to nterpret. Sometimes things get really weird, things that aren't covered on the short synopsis handout, things that are often discussed by college guys here on the Forum (recent one: where ball is inbounded after specific type of shot clock violation).

Experience plays a big part of understanding (not just memorizing) a rule set.

That's why my comfort level goes way up when I work such a game with a college guy. He's more experienced with shot clocks than me, and will definitely have more expertise when something weird happens, and will be able to react quickly to such a situation, due to his experience level, while I stand there scratching my head trying to figure out what was on the handout regarding this weird situation.

At any level, the more experience one has, the better official one will probably be. For all intents and purposes, I'm a second year prep school official. Knowing the rules is great, but there's no substitute for experience.
At the college level is expected that the newer/rookie officials are the best at rules interpretation. All my college supervisors routinely tell their vets to listen to the rookies when it comes to rules. What newbies lack in experience they are expected to make up with rules knowledge.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Experience ...

Quote:
At the college level is expected that the newer/rookie officials are the best at rules interpretation. All my college supervisors routinely tell their vets to listen to the rookies when it comes to rules. What newbies lack in experience they are expected to make up with rules knowledge.
I agree with some of what you say (I had a brand spanking new official correct me a few years ago on a kicked ball during an alternating possession throwin), but where the rubber meets the road, or when the shit hits the fan (pick your favorite metaphor), in a hotly contested varsity game (as almost all of our prep school games are), I would still vote for an experienced partner over "just passed the rules test" partner.

On the other hand, if I need a buddy to help me take a written, take home, open book, test ...

Note: There is no prep school hybrid rules, or shot clock, training here locally, or statewide. It's just a short handout that we download from the our local website. It's self tutorial kind of thing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 06, 2015 at 03:48pm.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What college level? I've never heard this and would never expect a rookie to know more than I do. I don't expect much of anything from them besides looking pretty and not messing up a call right in front of them.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 02:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
What college level? I've never heard this and would never expect a rookie to know more than I do. I don't expect much of anything from them besides looking pretty and not messing up a call right in front of them.
College level? What college conferences have you worked that you haven't heard this? Your expectations are nowhere in line with the expectations of college supervisors I've come across.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Dec 06, 2015 at 03:22pm.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
College level? What college conferences have you worked that you haven't heard this? You're expectations are nowhere in line with the expectations of college supervisors I've come across.
You're killing me.

I've only worked with one assigner for D2, so my exposure is limited. Until I move to the west coast, I'm enjoying the high school scene out here.