The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA fashion police? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100439-ncaa-fashion-police.html)

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:05pm

NCAA fashion police?

Does NCAA have same rules regarding tights/sleeves/headbands etc? Guys for Duke tonight have white leg sleeves/tights and Thornton has on a blue arm sleeve??

Since the crew is Mike Eades, Roger Ayres, and a guy I recognize but don't know, I assume they would get it right. It just looks very weird. I would also be interested to know how the NBA addresses this. I know a lot of rule changes filter downward and didn't know if this was one of them

I wish I had a cool signature

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:44pm

The third official is Ed Corbett

johnny d Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:21pm

Arm sleeves • Must be a solid color. • May be black, white, beige or any color contained in the game jersey. • Teammates must wear the same color arm sleeves.

Leg/Knee sleeves • Must be a solid color. • May be black, white, beige or the same color as the majority color of the game pants (as determined by the color/neutral zone of the game jersey. • Knee pads (i.e., volleyball-type pads) are considered knee sleeves for the purpose of the rule. • Teammates must wear the same color leg/knee sleeves.

Undergarments (tights) • May extend below the game shorts and must be the same color as the majority color of the game shorts (as determined by the neutral zone of the game jersey), white, black or beige. • All teammates must wear the same color.

these are ncaa-m rule as recently posted by art hyland. as you can see, all tights must be same color. all leg sleeves must be same color. all arm sleeves must be same color. but tights, leg sleeves and arm sleeves do not have to be the same color. without seeing duke uniforms, they could have players wearing black tights, white leg sleeves, and blue arm sleeves and be legal.

BlueDevilRef Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:23pm

Thanks!!!! That was what I was looking for

BillyMac Thu Dec 03, 2015 07:12am

Proud To Wear The NFHS Fashion Police Badge ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 971471)
...all tights must be same color. all leg sleeves must be same color. all arm sleeves must be same color. but tights, leg sleeves and arm sleeves do not have to be the same color. without seeing duke uniforms, they could have players wearing black tights, white leg sleeves, and blue arm sleeves and be legal.

I never thought that I would ever being saying this, but thank God for the simpler (with exception for the ambiguous compression shorts rule) NFHS fashion rules: headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, and tights, shall be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey, and the same color for each item, and all participants.

Rich Thu Dec 03, 2015 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 971485)
I never thought that I would ever being saying this, but thank God for the simpler (with exception for the ambiguous compression shorts rule) NFHS fashion rules: headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, and tights, shall be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey, and the same color for each item, and all participants.

Simpler, yes, but a pain in the ass to enforce. We've already had a team wearing what would've been legal last year -- all wearing black headbands and white leg sleeves. Not our fault, of course, but something I wish we just didn't have to deal with. Watching a team scramble with less than 15 minutes before game time looking for white headbands or prewrap puts all the focus on that nonsense and not the game itself. And of course we're the bad guys -- cause the JV crew let them do the exact same thing just minutes before.

BlueDevilRef Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:08am

Scramble???? Too bad. 99.99% of these sleeves etc are not for medical reasons. Therefore, shouldn't be a big deal for them to ditch them. My biggest struggle is enforcing the rule at middle school level bc some of our city schools play by a modified rule set regarding turbo clock etc and every coach thinks that gives them carte blanche to ignore other rules as well

deecee Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:15am

Sadly at the college level the fashion police is not as high a priority as we make it here on the HS level.

Rich Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 971495)
Scramble???? Too bad. 99.99% of these sleeves etc are not for medical reasons. Therefore, shouldn't be a big deal for them to ditch them. My biggest struggle is enforcing the rule at middle school level bc some of our city schools play by a modified rule set regarding turbo clock etc and every coach thinks that gives them carte blanche to ignore other rules as well

Who CARES if they're for medical reasons? They're legal to use.

BlueDevilRef Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:28am

Don't get it twisted on me. I could care less what kids wear, except for dangerous items. I know there could be a point of making a mockery of the uniform which is why we have standards but it gets old talking about it every year. My OP was more about it actually standing out to me last night in the Duke game as the guys had different colors on.

Does the NBA have a rule set on this? I don't watch it at all and can't really find a source online on my phone

OKREF Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 971498)
Who CARES if they're for medical reasons? They're legal to use.

I think what he is saying is, they could just take the sleeves off to make everything match, and since most are wearing them for a medical reason, taking them off is an easy fix.

Rich Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 971505)
I think what he is saying is, they could just take the sleeves off to make everything match, and since most are wearing them for a medical reason, taking them off is an easy fix.

Taking off the headbands was a quicker fix.

All the headbands matched. All the sleeves matched. Like we told the coach, this was legal last year -- now it's not.

deecee Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 971495)

The lower the level the less I nit about these types of rules.

BlueDevilRef Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 971509)

I know. And I want to as well but I worry, though I don't know if thy is the right word there, that if I don't enforce the rule, bc it really is a simple fix, then it gives my partners and my assignor the impression that I either don't know the rule or don't care. I'm new enough in our association that I want to make a good impression about those two things

Altor Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 971509)

And I tend to be more aware of these rules at the lower levels so we don't have to deal with them on a Friday night or in a tournament setting.