The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Official scorer

If home team has a young kid has a score keeper in a varsity game, is it possible to make the adult the official scorer even though from visiting team? I thought the rule book stated something about this w few years ago but I can't find it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 05:42pm
This IS My Social Life

2-4-3
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Still Don't Understand This Practice

This happened to me about 3 years ago in a varsity girls game.The kid that was handling book for the host school couldn't have been more than 8 years old.When I saw that I asked the officials if it was okay if I could be the official book for this game and they said ok.As a courtesy I went and told the host coach about the officials redesignating me as official book.
I went just out of curiosity and looked at his book at the break.The kid knew his stuff but if something went wrong in that game I wanted the heat to be on me instead of the kid.How often do you see schools who put young kids like this in that position and what as associations do you do about it other than redesignating the visitor book as official?
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Wed Dec 02, 2015 at 05:54pm.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 08:20pm
High Five Master

Is this just a ploy to get a hot mom from the crowd to come sit at the table

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
At a 7th and 8th grade game tonight the timer was a young kid and both games turned into a debacle. He made so many mistakes that it turned ugly for the officials. They need to have adults working the table.

Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 08:41pm
AremRed

Was the kid spectrum? If yes then no problem.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

This never happens in my area, at any type of school level, middle school or high school. It is always adults at the table, usually some kind of staff member of the school. Once in a while, for middle school games, there will be a team manager of the visiting team at the table keeping the visiting teams book, but as far as official scorekeeper and clock operator, it's always a staff member of the home school.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

That's the way it usually is at most places in our league.There are a few who employ HS students who do at least a passable job but most have teachers or other off campus personnel come in to work
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking off non-school staff, I have found that it is extremely hard, at least in my area, to get schools to allow me to work their table. I've got 2 middle schools that I've got an in with to work their table on Monday and Thursday nights, but as far as the high schools go, they all seem to want to use their own staff.

I was hoping to take the year off to rest up and heal some injuries and get myself back in a little better shape, but I fear I'm going to be doing a lot more officiating than I wanted this season.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

When I was in high school a group of us were paid by the school to work the table for basketball games.

They usually assigned two students to work board and book for the freshman doubleheaders. Once you knew what you were doing, you might get assigned to work the scoreboard for the sophomore/varsity doubleheaders.

They had adult staff on the scorebook and even one person dedicated solely to the clock.

Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Official scorer

While at a certain point ineptitude should be corrected, I'd still give a kid a clean slate to start the game at book or clock. If he/she is good, we'll keep rolling. Only time I might get a little concerned would be someone that looks under 16 on a varsity table.

Why so tolerant? These "kids" working tables are probably doing it because they love the game, and those kind of people make great future coaches and officials.

Guess what got me interested in officiating? Yup...working tables in middle and high school. In fact I was the girls varsity timer my junior year; I'd run straight to the clock after playing a set as a pep band percussionist. Good memories.

Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

I became interested after watching some of the freshman officials while I was at the table. Some of them were really bad and I knew I could do a better job.

Last edited by bas2456; Wed Dec 02, 2015 at 11:45pm.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Working tables is how I enjoy watching games the most coming from a non playing background.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

The only time I've really had trouble was in a shootout type deal last year at a college venue. They had hired college kids to run the table for the day and it was a debacle. The clock keeper didn't start or stop the clock several times. The girl keeping the book was getting yelled at by the fans and was listening to them try to correct her. I've never had much trouble at high school gyms with adults working.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

My JV doubleheader on Monday night had all high school kids at the table who were more concerned with socializing than doing their job. It was a debacle. I emailed my assigner after the game who said he would make sure it doesn't happen again or else report the school to the state office.