The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Blocking Partners

Got our first wave of games for the season and an accompanying email from the assigner:

"I noticed that there was a very high number of blocked partners coming up in the game window. Due to our numbers I will not honor any blocks concerning your fellow officials."

What is the point of being allowed to block partners if they're not going to be honored?
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

I work for 8 different supervisors between HS and college, none of them give us the option of blocking partners through Arbiter. I was just informed last night that one of my HS bosses will do it based on request.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Got our first wave of games for the season and an accompanying email from the assigner:

"I noticed that there was a very high number of blocked partners coming up in the game window. Due to our numbers I will not honor any blocks concerning your fellow officials."

What is the point of being allowed to block partners if they're not going to be honored?
For some, it would be reasonable, but others might be blocking all but their favorite partners....going way overboard.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am sure I could do this on Arbiter, but I would not do it at all. If I was that upset, I would call the assignor and tell him why. But otherwise it is a waste of time as far as I am concerned. Be professional and work with whomever they assign you to. There is a reason they are putting you together and not all reasons are that you like each other. If you really have that deep of a problem, I doubt the assignor would put you with people that will not totally get along with anyway.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

As an independent contractor, you have the right to let your assignor know your working conditions. He needs to honor that.
However, there does need to be a reasonable limit as Camron notes. Depending upon the size of the referee group, a handful of partner blocks should be fine.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
As an independent contractor, you have the right to let your assignor know your working conditions. He needs to honor that.
However, there does need to be a reasonable limit as Camron notes. Depending upon the size of the referee group, a handful of partner blocks should be fine.
Likewise, as an independent contractor, your assignor has the right to not hire you....for just about any reason short of the various illegal discriminatory practices. Not liking the job you're offered (the partners) isn't one of the protected things.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 09:39am
Aztec-Irishman

Quote:

Interesting read.

We are not allowed to block partners, however, we do block schools based on conflicts of interest. i.e. my kids go to the school, my wife is the principal...

Coaches are no longer allowed to block officials.

We do however, rate our partners for every game and the schools based on the following: (we also have 2 observers that travel to numerous games and provide their evaluations)

Partner rating (1-10; 10 best): COURT DEMEANOR (Courteousness, Professionalism, Poise); MECHANICS (Court Coverage, Proper Angles, Signals); RULES (Knowledge, Understanding, Application); JUDGEMENT (Post Play, Hand Checking, Consistency); GAME CONTROL (Bench, Players, Pressure Situations); OVERALL RATING

School rating (1-10; 10 best): Coaches, players, fans overall experience from the officials perspective.

Any rating of 4 or lower must accompany a written explanation.

We use the partner rating as 40% of our overall rating that is used for game assignments in next years season.

We use the school ratings as a guide to honor schools at our year end banquet. Most schools take this award seriously and strive to win the award.

No rating system is perfect, however, your comments are encouraged and please share how your area handles it.

Last edited by Gutierrez7; Thu Nov 26, 2015 at 09:46am.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Our partner blocks on Arbiter are limited to three (might even be two). I think up to about five is reasonable, but two or three is survivable.

I only exercise one ... for now.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It sounds to me as if the assigner is saying "we tried the 'block' feature but you (not "you" the OP but "you" all the officials as a group) abused it so we're not allowing it (which is the same as him ignoring it)
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

We have a couple of officials in our zone who are known to be picky about their partners. They will talk about why they refuse to work with so and so. What they don't realize is that there refusal to work with all officials reflects just as poorly on them as it does their "blocked" partners. I have never worked with anyone so bad that I would block them. There are a few guys that I don't particularly enjoy. Such is life.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 01:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's The Belt, Isn't It ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Our partner blocks on Arbiter are limited to three. I only exercise one ...
I bet I know who it is. Please unblock me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I've only tried to block one past partner. The assignor who assigned the games said while he understood my concerns, he assigns too many games to make sure he honors my request.

That said, I haven't seen him since and now that the high school season has started I don't think I'll be seeing him.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 03:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am just curious....

Let me ask this question then.

What kinds of things made you guys want block a partner? We all have bad experiences with people, but why block a partner? Or are you just having a disagreement that could be avoided or worked out?

Peace
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 03:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Rules Regarding Fights Between Officials ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What kinds of things made you guys want block a partner?
Partner cheating with my wife, or girlfriend.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 03:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Let me ask this question then.

What kinds of things made you guys want block a partner? We all have bad experiences with people, but why block a partner? Or are you just having a disagreement that could be avoided or worked out?

Peace
I have one guy I would consider blocking, and not because he cannot officiate. Whenever he works games outside of "real" high school games, he is totally unprofessional in how he officiates. He talks to coaches during plays, walks up and down the court, will stare at any attractive woman who passes by (during game action), doesn't attend to rough play, and gives off the general impression that he just doesn't care.

I've worked one HS game with him, it was a very high profile game, and there were no problems. But I worry want would happen in a terrible HS game that wouldn't hold his attention.