The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Respect for Officials

Here is an interesting read, no matter what sport you officiate.

Referees Struggle With Respect Amid Growing Hostility - ABC News
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Remember guys, it's all about the kids.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Remember guys, it's all about the kids.

Its "all about the kids"? This mantra of "all about the kids" is producing a generation of ingrates with an ever decreasing respect for rules, authority and folks in uniform.
Since when is it ever "all about" any of us or any one group?
While I don't agree that kids are meant to be seen and not heard; I am definitely not on board with "all about the kids".
I thought we were in this to help young people learn good citizenship and because we love the game...?
It isn't about me, but it certainly isn't "all about kids"!
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 06:34am
Do not give a damn!!

It is about the game, not the kids or even us. But the officials are the "Arbiters of the game." If we do not do our job, the game will suffer. Kids come and go and largely the officials stay in place much longer than even many coaches.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Refhoop, the rolling eyes emoticon makes obvious the sarcasm in my post. Thanks for the lecture though.
Old Thu Nov 26, 2015, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Refhoop, the rolling eyes emoticon makes obvious the sarcasm in my post. Thanks for the lecture though.
My bad SC - didn't see that.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Its "all about the kids"? This mantra of "all about the kids" is producing a generation of ingrates with an ever decreasing respect for rules, authority and folks in uniform.
Since when is it ever "all about" any of us or any one group?
While I don't agree that kids are meant to be seen and not heard; I am definitely not on board with "all about the kids".
I thought we were in this to help young people learn good citizenship and because we love the game...?
It isn't about me, but it certainly isn't "all about kids"!
I think it depends upon who is saying it and what it means. "All about the kids," to me doesn't mean mean the kids get to be disrespectful about rules, authority, or folks in uniform. I've always thought it meant -- when used properly:
- giving the kids an opportunity to play
- letting the kids learn what it means to work together and be part of a team
- that it's not about the parents who should stay out of it
- teaching the kids the game including how to play properly with respect and sportsmanship
- teaching the kids to be responsible for themselves and their own behavior, to suffer the consequences that come with their failings
- teaching kids to learn how to be gracious in both winning and losing.

"It's all about the kids" is a great mantra -- if used properly and not used by $%@#$ as an excuse to berate officials -- when they do that, they aren't making it about the kids, but about themselves and their own hurt feelings. Parents and coaches who actually believe it all about the kids aren't yelling at the refs, they are teaching their players/kids that refs are people too, that refs are going to make mistakes, and that living with those mistakes and rising beyond them is simply part of the game -- and life.

(Aside: My son is a frosh basketball player, and I was recently at the parent meeting for all winter parents. The AD made a point of talking about appropriate parent behavior, which does not include yelling at refs. He went on to say that part of the problem is that refs leave because they get tired of being yelled at/abused. He also pointed out to the parents that because there aren't enough refs, it's probably true that the lower divisions don't get the best refs -- and then gave the example of what a JV soccer ref gets paid, to do a game on his own (because there aren't enough refs to assign more than one), and what that translated to once you considered the travel time, getting there early, etc. And when we moved to the individual team meeting, my son's coach reiterated that he didn't want to hear parents or players yelling at refs.)
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I think it depends upon who is saying it and what it means. "All about the kids," to me doesn't mean mean the kids get to be disrespectful about rules, authority, or folks in uniform. I've always thought it meant -- when used properly:
- giving the kids an opportunity to play
- letting the kids learn what it means to work together and be part of a team
- that it's not about the parents who should stay out of it
- teaching the kids the game including how to play properly with respect and sportsmanship
- teaching the kids to be responsible for themselves and their own behavior, to suffer the consequences that come with their failings
- teaching kids to learn how to be gracious in both winning and losing.

"It's all about the kids" is a great mantra -- if used properly and not used by $%@#$ as an excuse to berate officials -- when they do that, they aren't making it about the kids, but about themselves and their own hurt feelings. Parents and coaches who actually believe it all about the kids aren't yelling at the refs, they are teaching their players/kids that refs are people too, that refs are going to make mistakes, and that living with those mistakes and rising beyond them is simply part of the game -- and life.

(Aside: My son is a frosh basketball player, and I was recently at the parent meeting for all winter parents. The AD made a point of talking about appropriate parent behavior, which does not include yelling at refs. He went on to say that part of the problem is that refs leave because they get tired of being yelled at/abused. He also pointed out to the parents that because there aren't enough refs, it's probably true that the lower divisions don't get the best refs -- and then gave the example of what a JV soccer ref gets paid, to do a game on his own (because there aren't enough refs to assign more than one), and what that translated to once you considered the travel time, getting there early, etc. And when we moved to the individual team meeting, my son's coach reiterated that he didn't want to hear parents or players yelling at refs.)

Love this! Problem is that sentences that start with "all" are nearly doomed before finished.
It is about kids, but never "all"; But SC straightened me out on that yesterday.
I do understand and agree with 99% of what you wrote though.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

My philosophy is clear. I referee because I love to referee and I love basketball. I never have and never will referee "for the kids." As harsh as it may sound, I really couldn't care less about the kids with respect to why I referee. They don't "deserve" my services, and if I get tired of refereeing one day, I'll quit. "The kids" aren't going to make or break my job.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 12:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Care Package ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
My philosophy is clear. I referee because I love to referee and I love basketball.
I care about doing a great job officiating for myself (pride), my partners (we're a team), the referee board that I represent, the players (the kids), the coaches, the school administrators (site directors, athletic directors, principals), the parents, the other fans, and for the Game of Basketball, a game that I love, as a player, a fan, a twenty-five year middle school coach, and, for thirty-five years, an official)

When I screw up, I feel that I've let down all of the above, and I do my best not to make the same mistake again.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I care about doing a great job officiating for myself (pride), my partners (we're a team), the referee board that I represent, the players (the kids), the coaches, the school administrators (site directors, athletic directors, principals), the parents, the other fans, and for the Game of Basketball, a game that I love, as a player, a fan, a twenty-five year middle school coach, and, for thirty-five years, an official)

When I screw up, I feel that I've let down all of the above, and I do my best not to make the same mistake again.

You're a true educator - as am I; and I definitely need more motivation than myself or the kids!
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
You're a true educator - as am I; and I definitely need more motivation than myself or the kids!

Me too. That's why it's all about the Benjamins!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Nov 28, 2015, 03:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
My philosophy is clear. I referee because I love to referee and I love basketball. I never have and never will referee "for the kids." As harsh as it may sound, I really couldn't care less about the kids with respect to why I referee. They don't "deserve" my services, and if I get tired of refereeing one day, I'll quit. "The kids" aren't going to make or break my job.
+1

I do a lot of things for my kids. I do some things for the kids in my church. I don't ref "for the kids," though. I ref because I enjoy it.

My issue with the phrase is not the word "all." My issue is when officials use it to chastise other officials for having the wrong motive.