Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 07:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Guardians Of The Game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I hope the player gets suspended from school.
That sounds a little strong to me.

What I don't want to happen:

The next day, in Mrs. McGillicuddy's algebra class.

Player: Hey. Remember that idiot referee, BillyMac, who called that player control foul on me in the big game last season? Well, he refereed our scrimmage last night and he called the same thing on me again. This time, I told him to go f... himself. And you know what, he tried to throw me out of the game, but Coach told him to leave me in the game because it was only a scrimmage. I played the rest of the scrimmage, scored 37 points,, and BillyMac couldn't do anything about it. Sure, Coach made me run five suicides after the scrimmage, but it was worth it to see the look on BillyMac's face as I played the rest of the game. Now, did you answer square root of two for the fifth homework question?

Scene.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 21, 2015 at 08:58pm.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 08:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If I'm officiating a scrimmage, and a player tells me to, "Go f... myself.", and I charge him with a flagrant foul, and sit him on the bench, and the coach tells me that the kid needs to play to get ready for the season ... If the coach doesn't back me, and the kid plays, I've lost all respect that I may have gained as an official.

I can't punch the player in the face. I can't swear back at him. The only tool in my belt is to sit him on the bench, and if the coach wants to take that tool away, then I'm hitting the pavement.
If you are having those kinds of issues during a scrimmage, there are some issues at that school or that scrimmage.

Quote:
Fights. Swearing. In my opinion, these can happen in both intrasquad, and intersquad, scrimmages. Either way, I'm handling it the same way, by the book.
They could but as I said before, they don't. Very uneventful in every case. If there was that kind of issue, I would have heard people talking about it. They don't because there is nothing to talk about.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 08:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Knock On Wood ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you are having those kinds of issues during a scrimmage, there are some issues at that school or that scrimmage.
I'm not.

Quote:
Back to reality. I don't believe that I charged a technical foul in a scrimmage in thirty-five years. But there can always be a first time.
But the original poster had some issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
BV scrimmage today that ended in disaster. One team started off chippy with a T within the first 2 minutes. The player that got the T then stormed off and I didn't see him squirt water on the court on purpose, neither did my partner, otherwise he would have been done.

Then another player on the same team had received a warning from my partner and continued to say something. My partner with his back turned I see the kid mouth something to him so I ring him up. I had also told him I had enough. Both times coach was more interested in us talking to the players and him rather than T and I told him we warned the kid(s) first.

Then after the second T the coach takes him out and the kid is acting up and I tell the coach he's done for the day (rather than go through the whole second T since it was an informal scrimmage). Coach said I couldn't do that it was a scrimmage and I told him that wasn't the case.

Then another player on the court looks at me and says, "I thought we weren't letting in Syrian refugees into this country."

What do you think happened after?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 22, 2015 at 01:29am.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 02:38pm
In Time Out

Then another player on the court looks at me and says, "I thought we weren't letting in Syrian refugees into this country."

For saying that, yes absolutely he should be suspended. Kids say and do stupid things and you(the schools) want to make sure they know it's wrong.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 02:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm not.

But the original poster had some issues.
When you have a situation that involves a squad only scrimmage, call me and let me know when that happens. Never seen it happen. But I read these threads every year and someone is complaining or commenting on a situation that took plays when teams play each other as to be expected in any competition.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 04:43pm
Aztec-Irishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
BV scrimmage today that ended in disaster. One team started off chippy with a T within the first 2 minutes. The player that got the T then stormed off and I didn't see him squirt water on the court on purpose, neither did my partner, otherwise he would have been done.

Then another player on the same team had received a warning from my partner and continued to say something. My partner with his back turned I see the kid mouth something to him so I ring him up. I had also told him I had enough. Both times coach was more interested in us talking to the players and him rather than T and I told him we warned the kid(s) first.

Then after the second T the coach takes him out and the kid is acting up and I tell the coach he's done for the day (rather than go through the whole second T since it was an informal scrimmage). Coach said I couldn't do that it was a scrimmage and I told him that wasn't the case.

What do you think happened after?
Wrong on so many fronts! Players, coaches, school administrators.

What happened to high school sports as an extension of the educational experience.

Well, they can always play the scrimmage without officials on the play ground. Wonder how they will enjoy that outcome?

Wish both teams good luck with the season, because every official working their games will be advised as to what transpired during a simple/tragic scrimmage. Short leash? How about no leash!
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Faith And Begorrah ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutierrez7 View Post
Aztec-Irishman
Very cool.