The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
First Scrimmage - Last Night

I felt like I haven't officiated in 10 years!!!!! Took me a couple of minutes to get back into the swing of things...anybody else feel like that???
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
I felt like I haven't officiated in 10 years!!!!! Took me a couple of minutes to get back into the swing of things...anybody else feel like that???

By the end of last season, thanks to this site, I felt darn good about my rule knowledge, with constant reviewing and athletic rules study software. This season, I seem to be in doubt when reading quizzes or sitches posted here.

I did plenty of games over the summer, all two whistles, mostly AAU and men's leagues where at least for me, I tend to fall into bad habits mechanics wise. I wish I could pick up a clinic/camp in the next few weeks before the season starts.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

I feel your pain..........worked 1st game of the year last week and couldn't get my brain and whistle to work together. I would see a play, know I had to blow the whistle and couldn't get it to work. By the middle of the second quarter it was better and by half time I was "ok". Unfortunately, I was working my hometown MS girls game (as a favor to our AD who couldn't fill the spot) and I got a little grief this week from our coach. He told me that on a couple of plays to start the game he knew that I saw the play but I didn't blow the whistle. I explained to him that it was the first game of the season (rust) and he said "no problem, things like that happen when you get older "....... (he's 26 or 27 ). Wait till next time !!!

Tip
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Just did my first scrimmage tonight - D3 mens. I was in a fog for the first 5 minutes. Did OK after that, but was not great. Lots of rust.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 02:57am
Do not give a damn!!

I worked my first scrimmage or Jamboree on October 13 and another scrimmage on October 18. I felt just fine. I worked a lot this summer and each year it seems to get easier and easier to work a game. Then again I have been teaching a basketball officiating class and maybe I just felt good because I had been talking about basketball for a few weeks and developing this class. It is possible the comfortably that I had was a result of thinking basketball for a longer period of time than most.

Peace