The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Eventually, the State legislature decided to make annual concussion training, along with first aid, CPR , etc., mandatory for coaches to be licensed.
That's good. And, many states have this (or similar).

Making them "health care professionals" for purposes of the rule being discussed is nuts.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's good. And, many states have this (or similar).

Making them "health care professionals" for purposes of the rule being discussed is nuts.
+100

There's a huge difference between being trained to recognize the signs/symptoms of a possible concussion and being able to evaluate the effects and if a player should be allowed to return to play. The potential liability issues alone are huge. Leave it to the true professionals.

As the knowledge of the effects of TBI has grown, it's become clear that the emphasis has to be on the safety of the student athlete. Rightly, the philosophy is "when in doubt, sit them out".
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 07:20am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I'm going to run this by you guys as I want to make certain that I properly understand the NFHS rule, not individual state regulations, for the following:

===============================
True or False

A player determined to be unconscious may not return to play unless written authorization is provided by physician.
I would never allow an unconscious player back on the court. They have to wake up sometime. And don't place them in the key cause it will be 3 seconds every time.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 08:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey. It could have been worse.

The State of Connecticut legislature considered a law to get sports officials trained in dealing with concussions, but our state interscholastic sports governing body, that includes an officials organization component, lobbied on behalf of officials keep us out of the process. Thankfully, the legislators followed the advice of the state interscholastic sports governing body. Eventually, the State legislature decided to make annual concussion training, along with first aid, CPR , etc., mandatory for coaches to be licensed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
They can't be serious. Wow.
Well Illinois has a law that requires coaches to have some concussion training to be able to coach scholastic sports on some level. Now that does not make them "Approved Healthcare Professionals" where they can evaluate or approve a kid to play. There is a law for schools to have someone at games to approve or monitor these things and they have to be registered with the IHSA so if something happens those are the people that can be called on.

I am hearing that we as officials might soon be required to pass some kind of concussion testing so that we can officiate IHSA games, but I have not seen that approved yet.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 21, 2015, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

In Pennsylvania, PIAA has clarified "that 'an appropriate health-care professional' is a licensed physician of medicine or osteopathic medicine (MD or DO)."
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

After seeing several of the responses, I am now going to inform everyone that the question in the OP is from the NFHS 3-person mechanics exam and that the answer listed is true.
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 08:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
After seeing several of the responses, I am now going to inform everyone that the question in the OP is from the NFHS 3-person mechanics exam and that the answer listed is true.
Which means there should be a reference in the Manual.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3-3-8 says player who shows signs of concussion (including LOSS OF CONSCIOUSNESS) shall not return until cleared by appropriate health care professional. nothing else. it directs you to the concussion guidelines which say "no player should return to play or practice on same day as concussion."
Again nothing about physician or writing.

As i said earlier, if a player loses consciousness in my game he will not play again in it. The answer to your question, however, is false as it pertains to officials. We aren't even supposed to verify anything as the case play BNR set out shows, --much less get a writing from a physician etc. maybe that is a requirement for a coach…i've never seen it. just another irritating question….
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder if the statement was True several years ago and the question and answer just got recycled without checking to see if it was still true.