The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire knocked unconscious by 10U coach

Those of you who browse the eteamz coach's forum may have seen the story, but here are a few links.

Note some of the comments after the articles...

Softball coach arrested after punching umpire

Coach released on $5,000 bond...Man allegedly struck umpire

10U has absolutely the worst behaved fans and coaches.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

One other thing... even though the stories are short on detail, there is one glaring example of how NOT to handle a coach...
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 10:24pm
Administrator

1) The umpires in our last baseball game let my pitcher wear a white long sleeve undergarment while pitching.

2) The basketball officials in our last game let my player wear a cast covered with foam.

3) The umpires in our last game let our use that bat; they said that we could use it even though it is on the ASA banned bat list.

4) The basketball officials in our last game let my players wear earrings as long as they keep them covered with bandaids.

Yes siree Bob, coaches never lie.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed May 14, 2008 at 07:41am.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 11:16pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Yes siree Bob, coaches never lie.

MTD, Sr.
Exactly. I'm skeptical until more facts are released. Even if the umpire did call the coach a liar, that does not permit the coach to assault him. I am distgusted but not surprised at several of the comments left on those sites.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe the coach was from Georgia.

http://www.ahajokes.com/laws010.html

4th bullet down.

But seriously, I hope they lock this guy up. Truly pathetic for a grown man to punch someone over a 10U softball game.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify.... I didn't for one microsecond intend to imply that this was the umpire's fault for poor game management. Only that when you have an idiot for a coach, don't stoop to his level - it will only make matters worse. Even if the coach actually was a liar (hard to believe, I know), better to just walk away and let the coach eject himself. We don't know if the coach should have already been ejected; not enough information about what led up to the assault.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Gosh, I hope this umpire has someone who can help him carry and sort out all the lawyers business cards he's getting. Thats gonna be tough on him... and goes to show a good baiting really can pay off at times.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
1) The umpires in our last game let my pitcher wear a white long sleeve undergarment while pitching.
And so would I since it is not against the rules

But seriously, who really cares who called whom what?

Rant on!

Wow, the umpire called him a liar, I'm sure that justifies physical abuse.....in some third-world country that we, as US taxpayers, support. Maybe the coach is a liar, but who cares.

I am tired of people using any little tic to justify any type of reaction. "he hit me, he touched me, he's on my side of the seat, he looked at me, he...he...he...well, he did something, so I'm going to kick his *** and then sue him."

Wasn't there a congressman or governor from IL a couple years ago who stated during debate on an Abuse of a Sports Official bill that actually stated some of "them" need a good *** kicking or something similar? Great country, America, the land of what can I get for free and home of the cowardly politicion who cannot find a job other than conning the electorate.

The people in this country have turned into a whining bunch of idiots. The only "right" people now respect is that to find the slimiest lawyer in the phone book to sue the next guy because you don't like the color of the flowers he is growing in his front yard!

When the hell are people in this country going to start acting like the people we want everyone else to think we are?

Rant off!
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 07:41am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA

Rant on!

Wow, the umpire called him a liar, I'm sure that justifies physical abuse.....in some third-world country that we, as US taxpayers, support. Maybe the coach is a liar, but who cares.

I am tired of people using any little tic to justify any type of reaction. "he hit me, he touched me, he's on my side of the seat, he looked at me, he...he...he...well, he did something, so I'm going to kick his *** and then sue him."

Wasn't there a congressman or governor from IL a couple years ago who stated during debate on an Abuse of a Sports Official bill that actually stated some of "them" need a good *** kicking or something similar? Great country, America, the land of what can I get for free and home of the cowardly politicion who cannot find a job other than conning the electorate.

The people in this country have turned into a whining bunch of idiots. The only "right" people now respect is that to find the slimiest lawyer in the phone book to sue the next guy because you don't like the color of the flowers he is growing in his front yard!

When the hell are people in this country going to start acting like the people we want everyone else to think we are?

Rant off!

Irish:

You are correct for softball. I will edit my post to reflect that it applies to a baseball game which was my intent.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rant on!

blahblahblahblah
The only "right" people now respect is that to find the slimiest lawyer in the phone book to sue the next guy because you don't like the color of the flowers he is growing in his front yard!
Rant off!

Some coach hits me and I'm finding me the slimiest slickest lawyer I can. I may or may not like the color of the flowers in his yard... I'll worry about that when its my yard.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Lawyers and flowers in the same thread. I just planted my rose gardens this week. Lots of different colors.

I have a secret admiration for lawyers. We all hate'em till we need one.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rant on!

Rant off!
But blaming people is so much easier than actually having to do something ourselves.

This is a major problem with our culture, one that has been about 50 years in the making. With the so-called leaders pointing fingers at each other rather than brainstorming to actually fix our nation's problems, I see no change in the near future either.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Wait....did I just point the finger at our nation's leaders????

Actually, I have been giving them a finger for years!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Wait....did I just point the finger at our nation's leaders????

Actually, I have been giving them a finger for years!
Scott, Scott, Scott.... How many times have I told you? You can't eject the leaders.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I agree that this is a big issue with sports it is crazy and some people who are the nicest people 6 days of the week lose their minds on game night. I caught myself many years ago when I was coaching my daughters all-star team....ball off of F6's glove hits my R1 coming from 2nd (4-5 steps behind F6), left fielder way back no chance at play, Umpire calls my R1 out. When I questioned the call answer was "Come on the runner is always out when they are hit by the ball" well I got mad and told him that he was wrong but this was his game to call so I would go back to the coaches box and show him after the game (no protest rules) and I thought after that game that I would not let myself ever become "that" coach, because I felt the possibility of getting too mad that day....I decided that I was taking the high road from that point forward, even if they were wrong I was going to show the girls sportsmanship and the way to go on with life when something unfair happens and that was a more important lesson than ever winning a game. I have shared this story with a lot of friends that coach and it has brought them back to reality some, but I just wish people would let the kids play a game, play their best, and we all hope they are officiated by the rules fairly, but if something goes against you do your best to fix it but if you can't say the serienty prayer and play harder next time.

But again in this story what is the take home lesson? Umpire shouldn't have called coach a liar, I can't defend that....but if someone calls you a name you punch them? Great lesson to teach 10U....