The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 11:55am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I have a great chance at my first 3 man HS game this year. My question is how long does it take to become comfortable calling a T when you have 2 vets who really arent taking care of misbehaving coaches?
That's a good question, but one with a "it depends" answer. The coach in my game wasn't being profane, he didn't go insane, he yelled a few times but not that loud. It was just persistent comments whenever I was Trail or Slot tableside. Persistent comments about this, persistent comments about that. He got on the R (35+ year vet who used to work college) about two calls he had in the first quarter and at the break he told my other partner and I that he was done (despite no publically warning the coach??). He said he would take care of him. But no, he just kept talking to the coach.

Coaches vote affects our postseason assignments so a lot of refs here don't buckle up and just whack the guy cuz 1) we would get a bad vote and 2) we don't have support from a supervisor, the school could easily make sure we never come back there. It sucks but it is what it is. So as the young guy on the crew I decided to just ignore the persistent comments and let my partners do the dirty work if they chose to do so. They didn't which is a shame, but I did at least warn the coaches and they were a little better after that. Our system of warning coaches here is a little different than the college game where when a coach has been warned no one can talk to him again except the guy who warned him. I see partners over the hobnobbing with coaches I have warned all the time.

You bet I have the intestinal fortitude to take care of insanity or profanity, but in this case I chose to ignore the persistent comments.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 11:56am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
High school seniors all star game....the admin did not communicate a limit of 2 timeouts per game to the floor crew, or to coaches apparently. Coach required his third timeout , which I granted. Informed by table it was excessive, so we had a tech. Seems silly really but those were the rules they were playing with.
All star game....could you have gotten away with no T and just given the other guy an extra timeout?
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 11:58am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This is why I only blow the whistle in this situation after a timeout, intermission, or unusual delay. Some officials do it on every throw-in, and as you can see, sometimes this is the unintended result. If your mechanics manual and/or assigner directs it, then do it. Otherwise, I recommend limiting the throw-in whistles.
I have started whistling for all frontcourt throw-ins and I do it as I am handing the ball to the thrower, thus I can't have the situation where I am calling a tech for contact after I have whistled but before the ball is live.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 12:52pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
All star game....could you have gotten away with no T and just given the other guy an extra timeout?

Nope, admins were at table and they were ones who advised only two timeouts after book told me coach was out. I thought it was silly but thems the breaks for not reading the rules sheet. Coach was not upset, he just shrugged it off.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I have started whistling for all frontcourt throw-ins ...
What led you to this mechanic? Just curious.

I understand a lot of people feel the need to alert players in these congested areas (especially defenders who may have their backs to the ball) that play is about to resume. I see a lot of guys yell "Play" or "Play it!" just before administering the throw-in, as an alternative to adding more whistles to the game.

I've adopted the "Play" version on the advice of a veteran NCAA Division II men's official on our board.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 06:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey Everybody, We're Gonna Shoot A Free Throw ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
... feel the need to alert players ...
Anybody sound their whistle before a free throw after a timeout?

I believe that IAABO mechanics require this, but we only have a few guys that actually do it, and I'm not one of them.

NFHS mechanics?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Anybody sound their whistle before a free throw after a timeout?

I believe that IAABO mechanics require this, but we only have a few guys that actually do it, and I'm not one of them.

NFHS mechanics?
Yes. After TO, official to indicate play is to begin by whistle. I'll hit whistle and then give "two shots" etc. and bounce ball to FT'er. But I'm in minority on this.
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to reffish
NCAAW mandates the lead whistle before throw-ins.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2015, 04:29pm
Official & Member

Since you asked...

Last night...first regular season G-V game. I call a shooting foul on V1. I'm tableside in front of her bench reporting. Her coach says to her "that was the correct call on you". She walks past me and says to her coach loud enough for the whole bench and table to hear: "No it wasnt. That was a terrible call". Whack! First game...first T of the season. Hope it's not an omen.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2015, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Yes. After TO, official to indicate play is to begin by whistle. I'll hit whistle and then give "two shots" etc. and bounce ball to FT'er. But I'm in minority on this.

IAABO doesn't.

FIBA does.