The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

And my last T was for....

Whether a player or coach. Pre-season game or wreck ball...

Whatever reasons can you tell us a little about your last Technical foul?

Mine was a wreck ball game. The players had been told a few times to stop discussing with us calls and non-calls.

I am Trail behind the ball handler and before I could get a better angle apparently the ball handler doubled dribbled past him and he was vocal about one more non-call.

Looking forward to hearing yours!
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Just last week in a 7/8th grade girls tournament, my partner (also my son) called a charge on A1. A's coach, who was complaining all game, didn't agree with the call and forcibly deposited his clipboard on to the floor by the bench. I rang up the T without hesitating. Heard nothing else from this coach.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 04:28pm
AremRed

Had a really bad coach the other night. Could have got him for ABS multiple times but my veteran partner said he was gonna take care of him (he didn't). This coach whined about EVERYTHING. At one point this coach was whining about my partner not granting the other coach a timeout during a dead ball. Partner didn't see/hear coach but it didn't matter cuz I came tableside and granted the timeout like 15 seconds later.

This dude would not shut up. I was U2 and working with two 20-year plus vets so I didn't think it was my place to have a "come to Jesus" talk with this guy. I ended up warning both coaches at the same time in the 4th quarter when they were both yapping at me when I came tableside to report a foul.

Last tech I actually called was last week during men's league. I was Trail and had ball handler in my area and had an off-ball foul where an offensive player was trying to cut and the defender impeded him. They tangled up and both fell to the floor. The defender got up first and stood over the other guy and taunted him. Probably should have pitched him but it turns out the league has a 1 tech = disqualification policy. Yay.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 04:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

I don't remember. Honestly.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 04:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Me either. It was last season.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

My last T was a mistake. I misinterpreted what a player said. In analyzing it after the game, I realized my error. I admitted my error and apologized to the player's coach the next time I saw him.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 05:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Last night and I choose not to repeat what the kid called me. And it was a JUCO and NAIA team competition. Coach understood and we moved on.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Bill Russell ...

Last season. Catholic middle school player wearing number six, playing in a league where uniform rules are expected to be enforced. This player had just joined the team after transferring from another school, and the coach just grabbed the first jersey she found in storage. The odd thing was that I didn't realize it right away, but something looked strange about her jersey. It took me a few seconds to realize it was an illegal number. The head coach was not pleased that she lost her coaching box for the rest of the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 12, 2015 at 05:20pm.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wreck Ball...

Well, I made it through the first night of wreck league(3 games) without one, but night 2 wasn't quite as smooth. Last game of the night. 2 pretty competitive teams. Guard who was probably the fastest guy on the court steals the ball just before it comes over the midcourt line. One player from the other team was still back, and the guy who just got jacked went back on defense as well. Guard who just stole the ball tries to go between them where he had no business going, off balance, and ended up on the floor. I've got nothing. From the floor, as I'm turning back upcourt, he says, "I got hit in the F*****G head." I say, "Excuse me?" And he yells it again. WHACK!

And for the record, I did not see him get hit in the head.

Last edited by WhistlesAndStripes; Thu Nov 12, 2015 at 05:37pm.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 08:01pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't either but I haven't been on the court since 2013 so it's been a little while.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 08:11pm
High Five Master

High school seniors all star game....the admin did not communicate a limit of 2 timeouts per game to the floor crew, or to coaches apparently. Coach required his third timeout , which I granted. Informed by table it was excessive, so we had a tech. Seems silly really but those were the rules they were playing with.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 08:58pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post

You know you can actually make that your signature instead of typing it in at the end of every post.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 09:29pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Nine months ago, in a CYO JV Girls #3 Game. (JV-3 usually being 4th graders).

For whatever reason, both teams--after a rather ordinary first half--decided to play very physical in the second half. Late in the fourth quarter, we have a held ball and both my partner and I come in with whistles. After play ends, the visting player wrests the ball away and then pivots forward towards the home player with whom she was tied up. The front of the former's shoulder then hit the latter square in the chest.

I thought the contact was definitely more than incidental, but not flagrant enough for ejection. So, I opted for a T for intentional dead-ball contact.

After reporting the foul, the visiting coach said, "You need to call more fouls." After my initial , I simply replied, "Coach, I just did." I guess he missed both the PC foul and the double-personal foul calls I made (among others) earlier in the half once the game became a foul-fest.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Fri Nov 13, 2015 at 12:41am.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 09:48pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
You know you can actually make that your signature instead of typing it in at the end of every post.

Very nice. I lol'd at this

Old Thu Nov 12, 2015, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

D3 scrimmage, partner still has the ball, I'm L ball on endline with full court pressure. Partner blows whistle and offensive player shoves defender to get space, defender goes flying, partner still has the ball. I waited about a .5-1 second to give C chance to get the call, then I came in with a whistle.

Coach was unhappy about the fact that it was a T since partner blew whistle, but I explained that the whistle doesn't determine the status of the ball, it's just used to announce that we are about to begin.