The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Throw In Designation

Thanks guys.....I get all of that. What I was looking for is our crew, always gives the ball to the thrower, one step into their new backcourt. Should we be right on the line, 1/2 and 1/2 theoretically? How are most crews administering this?
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 06:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Bounce When You Can, Hand When You Must ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What does IAABO tell you to do?
All frontcourt endline throwins must be handed to the inbounder.

All other throwins are optional, it's up to the official to decide whether to hand the ball, or bounce the ball, to the inbounder, depending on the circumstances.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 06:58am
This IS My Social Life

Let's Go to the Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpshooter40 View Post
Thanks guys.....I get all of that. What I was looking for is our crew, always gives the ball to the thrower, one step into their new backcourt. Should we be right on the line, 1/2 and 1/2 theoretically? How are most crews administering this?
Rather than mechanics by consensus, wouldn't it be better to ask what the NFHS or the IAABO or your state expects?
Whereas I'd be interested in the last two codes, for states that have adopted NFHS Officials' Manual mechanics, here's what it says:

> "The throw-in to start to the second, third and fourth quarters shall be administered by the Referee at the division line opposite the table."

I have never seen anywhere this "one step" toward the backcourt or toward the frontcourt specified. And if you start them out there, if/when they keep their one foot on or over the 36" area and end up 2 steps or more away from the division line do you call a violation?

Just point so they straddle the division line. Easy. Nuff said. Right?
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 07:02am
This IS My Social Life

As to the method of administration . . .

Whereas I'd be interested in what the IAABO and others' states specify, the NFHS book says, "When administering throw-ins on the frontcourt end line the ball shall be handed to the thrower." And again, "The Lead shall hand the ball to the thrower when remaining in the frontcourt." And, "When administering throw-ins on the sideline, a bounce pass is recommended."

Couple of examples for analysis and discussion:
How Could Handing the Ball to the Thrower Be Correct Here?
What Advantage Does Bouncing the Ball to the Thrower Provide Here?
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 08:36am
This IS My Social Life

At the Division Line

Though this only takes place usually three times per game, I contend that casuality of this nature deprives the defense from using the division line to their advantage when an unsuspecting receiver of the throw-in gets trapped against it in the frontcourt.
A savvy coach may want this advantage.

At the Division Line???
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Same here.

I was just asking KansasRef if he ever does it ... because it sounds like he never does.
*Attended a clinic this 3 summers ago where clinician was telling us to hand off the ball to throw-in player--clinician had reported on seeing players fumble bumble the ball. I have seen other refs bounce the ball to sideline thrower and I've seen other refs hand it off, and I've read in the NFHS manual that a bounce pass to thrower on sideline is suggested--but not required procedure. Alas, this seems like each refs preference on what to do.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*Attended a clinic this 3 summers ago where clinician was telling us to hand off the ball to throw-in player--clinician had reported on seeing players fumble bumble the ball. I have seen other refs bounce the ball to sideline thrower and I've seen other refs hand it off, and I've read in the NFHS manual that a bounce pass to thrower on sideline is suggested--but not required procedure. Alas, this seems like each refs preference on what to do.
But what about that thing where you have the thrower in the front court instead of straddling the division line?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Nov 11, 2015 at 04:21pm.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

I ALWAYS hand the ball when under the baseline, and bounce when on the sideline.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 03:23pm
AremRed

So everyone here makes the thrower straddle the line? In my personal experience I've seen about 60 percent of refs put the thrower slightly in the Frontcourt, about 30 percent in the Backcourt, and less than 10 percent actually straddle the line.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
So everyone here makes the thrower straddle the line? In my personal experience I've seen about 60 percent of refs put the thrower slightly in the Frontcourt, about 30 percent in the Backcourt, and less than 10 percent actually straddle the line.
*well like I said in my post earlier--I do administer such throw-ins by positioning A1 one step into the Front court. I was unaware that I was in the majority of refs who did it in this fashion--until you cited your observational statistics.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 04:10pm
This IS My Social Life

Shaky Foundation

Quote:
As long as the designated spot is at the division line, as prescribed.

BTW, observational evidence is a tenuous basis for what mechanics to follow. Seven years ago around here, 98% ballwatched outside their PCA all the time, 95% called "On the Floor!" when act of shooting had already begun, 92% of Trails stood just inside the division line and bailed before the shot was released, 89% refused to call 5-seconds closely guarded cuz it was a "game stopper", and 86% . . ..
Now very few do those things.
Wrong is still wrong, even though the majority does it. Right is still right, even though only the minority does it.

Now, back to things that take place more than 3 times per game...
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 04:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm trying to find an intelligent or logical reason not to have them start at the division line. Why would an official purposely put the throw in in the back or the front court?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 04:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I point at the spot, tell the thrower-in that I'm going to bounce it to him/her, then back out and bounce the ball with two hands.

In other words, I have no idea where the thrower-in is standing, nor do I care as long as it's at my designated spot.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter14 View Post
I ALWAYS hand the ball when under the baseline, and bounce when on the sideline.
I once worked in a high school associated that mandated the official ALWAYS hand the ball to the thrower in. No bounce passes were allowed, per association mechanic. There were no exceptions to this mechanic and it was one of the most non-nonsensical things I'd ever seen.
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 05:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Mechanics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I'd be interested in what ... IAABO ...
IAAABO Mechanics Manual

Throwin:

E. Throwin administration
1. Administering official shall visually "sweep the floor"
h. hand or bounce ball to thrower
Exception: on all frontcourt endline throwins the ball shall be handed to the thrower

G. Crew of two throwin
1. Administering official may hand ball to throwerin
2. Administering official may bounce the ball to throwerin
Exception: Ball handed to throwerin for frontcourt endline throwins
3. Lead as administering official
c. may bounce ball to thrower for sideline throwin below free throw line extended
Exception: if fans or bench personnel create congestion or there is defensive pressure, the ball shale be handed to the throwerin ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 11, 2015 at 05:11pm.