The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Quarter Throw-in Spot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100329-quarter-throw-spot.html)

Jumpshooter40 Tue Nov 10, 2015 02:20pm

Quarter Throw-in Spot

Where is the 'exact' designation for the throw-in to start a new quarter?

Raymond Tue Nov 10, 2015 02:34pm

That line that dissects the court in two.

Welpe Tue Nov 10, 2015 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 969492)
That line that dissects the court in two.

And opposite the table.

7-5-6

Designated out-of-bounds spot throw-in at the division line opposite the scorer's and timer's table:

b. For an alternating-possession throw-in to start the second, third and fourth quarters, any player from the team with the possession arrow shall make the throw-in.

BigCat Tue Nov 10, 2015 02:56pm

also at 6-4-2. live ball dead ball rule.

Kansas Ref Tue Nov 10, 2015 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumpshooter40 (Post 969490)
Where is the 'exact' designation for the throw-in to start a new quarter?

*I like position my throw-in player (A1) at a point that is one step into their frontcourt area from the division line. Also, I usually just hand the ball to the thrower-in and step away-- instead of bouncing it to them--due to the fact that I'd hate to see them fumble bumble a bounce pass which would cause me to have to stop and re-do the whole affair.

Raymond Tue Nov 10, 2015 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 969496)
*I like position my throw-in player (A1) at a point that is one step into their frontcourt area from the division line. Also, I usually just hand the ball to the thrower-in and step away-- instead of bouncing it to them--due to the fact that I'd hate to see them fumble bumble a bounce pass which would cause me to have to stop and re-do the whole affair.

Why do you want them 1 step into the FC, for what purpose?

ODog Tue Nov 10, 2015 03:30pm

Quote:

... due to the fact that I'd hate to see them fumble bumble a bounce pass which would cause me to have to stop and re-do the whole affair.

So you NEVER administer with a bounce on any throw-in?

Raymond Tue Nov 10, 2015 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 969498)

I bounce wherever the manual allows us to. Definitely on a midcourt throw-in so I can get a few steps into the BC.

ODog Tue Nov 10, 2015 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 969499)
I bounce wherever the manual allows us to. Definitely on a midcourt throw-in so I can get a few steps into the BC.

Same here.

I was just asking KansasRef if he ever does it ... because it sounds like he never does.

crosscountry55 Tue Nov 10, 2015 04:06pm

I'm kind of a stickler for the "exact" spot the OP refers to, even though "at the division line" isn't more accurately defined. I try to get the thrower to straddle the DL extended (evaluators pick up on little things like this). But......if they move a step or two one way or the other, I'm also not going to delay putting the ball in play. This is low on my totem pole of pet peeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Tue Nov 10, 2015 05:10pm

Since the division line should be two inches wide and the designated spot is 3-feet in width, the thrower actually has 17 inches on each side of the division line.

Freddy Tue Nov 10, 2015 05:31pm

No Totem Pole Reference Here

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 969505)
...low on my totem pole of pet peeves.

Got that.
What should rise to the level of pet peevish is when the all-too-casual official just allows the player to stand just anywhere over there (quite wide of the dimension over which the player must have "a foot on or over"), and in doing so takes the advantage of the relative location of the division line away from a pressing defense and an unsuspecting player who catches the throw-in and get him/herself trapped up against it.
It just isn't that hard to point to the "spot" and make the player at least start there.

Freddy Tue Nov 10, 2015 05:35pm

Mechanics Based on "I Like to..."???

Quote:

If this had a "Like" button, I would not click on it.
:(

BillyMac Tue Nov 10, 2015 05:43pm

Old Dog, Old Tricks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 969498)

I'm definitely old fashioned, having officiated for thirty-five years.

With rare exceptions, the only time that one will see me bounce the ball to an inbounding player is on a run-the-back-endline throwin.

If I believe that bouncing the ball to the inbounder will help me to better see an anticipated play, I will bounce it, but this will be few times, and far between.

I'm so used to doing it the old way that, as the lead, in a two person game, I will hesitate to bounce the ball to an inbounder on a sideline throwin below the free throw line extended.

I doubt that there is anyone on this Forum that bounces the ball less than me. I know that I'm in the minority, and I probably should be bouncing more, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Raymond Tue Nov 10, 2015 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 969512)
I'm definitely old fashioned, having officiated for thirty-five years.

With rare exceptions, the only time that one will see me bounce the ball to an inbounding player is on a run-the-back-endline throwin.

If I believe that bouncing the ball to the inbounder will help me to better see an anticipated play, I will bounce it, but this will be few times, and far between.

I'm so used to doing it the old way that, as the lead, in a two person game, I will hesitate to bounce the ball to an inbounder on a sideline throwin below the free throw line extended.

I doubt that there is anyone on this Forum that bounces the ball less than me. I know that I'm in the minority, and I probably should be bouncing more, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

What does IAABO tell you to do?