The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Technical Foul?

I received my NFHS Rule Books. Included is a Basketball Preseason Guide. On page 6 is an article 'Enforce Illegal Contact on Free Thrower and Violations During Free Throws'. This topic created a lot of conversation last year and again this year. But this sentence from the article is going to be another topic. It reads "If the Free Throw is missed and the contact is ruled to be a foul, it must be a Technical Foul since the violation caused the ball to become dead." Where is this Rule?
Also where is the Rule that states something like... if a player in a marked lane space legally enters the lane but breaks the Free Throw line before the Ball contacts the backboard or rim is a violation?
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 11:19pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
I received my NFHS Rule Books. Included is a Basketball Preseason Guide. On page 6 is an article 'Enforce Illegal Contact on Free Thrower and Violations During Free Throws'. This topic created a lot of conversation last year and again this year. But this sentence from the article is going to be another topic. It reads "If the Free Throw is missed and the contact is ruled to be a foul, it must be a Technical Foul since the violation caused the ball to become dead." Where is this Rule?
Also where is the Rule that states something like... if a player in a marked lane space legally enters the lane but breaks the Free Throw line before the Ball contacts the backboard or rim is a violation?
Gonna need more information Zoochy. I haven't received my rule books yet, could you take a picture of the page and post it?

As you probably know, contact during a dead ball is ignored unless it would rise to the level of an Intentional or Flagrant foul during a live ball. What you suggest seems to contradict that, so I would stick the the precedent. Also, what violation are they talking about for missing a free throw??
Old Wed Oct 21, 2015, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

You need to read our other recent threads with the announced corrections from the NFHS.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 12:20am
We don't rent pigs

It isn't dead until after the miss. The contact probably happened before the miss.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 06:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pre Season Memo ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You need to read our other recent threads with the announced corrections from the NFHS.
For Zoochy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
These are the corrections to the 2015-16 Rules Book.

PRE-SEASON MEMO

Rules Book Corrections
9.1.3a Delete the word “backboard”

9.1.3 B Penalty 4b If the second violation is by the free thrower or a teammate behind the free-throw line extended and the three-point line, both violations are penalized, as in penalty item (3).

Comment
Rule 9-1 does not address the issue of players, other than the free thrower during the free throw, entering the free throw semi-circle. The National interpretation on this issue is that until the ball contacts the backboard or basket ring, anyone entering the free throw semi-circle has committed a violation. If a teammate commits the violation the ball is to be ruled dead immediately. If an opponent commits the violation it is a delayed lane violation. The free thrower shall be awarded a substitute free throw if the free throw is not successful.

Case Book Correction
Page 22, Situation 3.5.3 B: Substitute A6 reports to enter the game to replace A1. A5 presently in the game, is wearing beige compression sleeves on his/her arm and leg. A6 is wearing a black headband and wristbands. Ruling: A6 is not allowed to enter the game because the rules require all team players to wear the same allowable color sleeves, headbands and wristbands. No penalty is involved. A6 simply cannot participate until the color restrictions are corrected. (3.5.3)

Enforcement of Free Throw Semi-Circle Illegal Entry & Contact
The free thrower must remain within the free throw semi-circle until the ball contacts the backboard or basket ring.

The same rule applies to all other players who do not occupy free throw lane line marked spaces.

Players who occupy free throw lane line marked spaces during free throws may enter the free throw lane upon the free thrower releasing the ball.

A player who has entered the free throw lane legally, may not cross the free throw line prior to the ball
contacting the backboard or basket ring. To do so is a violation. Initially, a delayed dead ball signal is to be displayed.

If the free throw is successful the violation shall be ignored.

If a defender who has entered the free throw semi-circle, contacts the free thrower, a common foul is the correct ruling.

If the free throw is unsuccessful, the violation shall be enforced and a substitute free throw is awarded.

If a defender who has entered the free throw semi-circle, contacts the free thrower, a common foul is the correct ruling.

Whether the free throw is successful or unsuccessful, the penalty for the common foul is awarded.

If the free thrower’s team is in a bonus situation, the free thrower is awarded a one-and-one or two free throws.

If the free thrower’s team is not in a bonus situation, his/her team is awarded a throw-in along the end line.

NOTE: Should the substitute free throw be followed by free throws because of another foul, the free throw lane line marked spaces may not be occupied during the substitute free throw.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Mods should post a link redirecting to the other appropriate threads and lock this one. Or merge them if possible.