The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 10:26am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Actually, "try" is not defined explicitly either. We have to mesh together when it starts (4-41 Art. 3) and when it ends (4-41 Art. 4) to come up with a definition. But in 4-41 Art. 2, we are told that field goals are tries of the 2 and 3 point variety. And we are also told in 4-21 Art. 1 that a free throw is a "try" for goal.
Can't they just make it more clear? I know... I know... look who I'm talking about

In my heart I knew team control ended on the release of the free throw, but when trying to defend that with rules I ran into that other stuff.

Please believe me... I wasn't meaning to say "this is what it says so THERE". I meant to say "I'm reading this and that... help?"
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm doing this from memory, but I think in rule 5 it says something like, "A FT try is worth 1 point; a 3-point try is worth 3 points. Any other time a live ball goes through the basket it's 2 points."
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 10:50am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm doing this from memory, but I think in rule 5 it says something like, "A FT try is worth 1 point; a 3-point try is worth 3 points. Any other time a live ball goes through the basket it's 2 points."
I'm saying why can't 4-41 include a FT attempt as a try, instead of us having to assume that based on other rules?
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm saying why can't 4-41 include a FT attempt as a try, instead of us having to assume that based on other rules?
If the book spelled every related thing out in every section/article it wouldn't fit in your bag.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 11:12am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If the book spelled every related thing out in every section/article it wouldn't fit in your bag.
Fair point
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanrd View Post
In this scenario the ball never became live. Rule 4.13.6 states that neither team control nor player control exists during a dead ball. Rule 6.7.2a states that the ball remains dead on a free throw which is to be followed by another free throw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Is no one going to comment on how completely wrong this guy is?
I am now that I am awake....

It is not dead since the official actually awarded only 1 FT. Since 1 FT was awarded, it remained live. It shouldn't have, but, due to the incorrect award, it did.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
You can propose a rules change / edit.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 11:25am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You can propose a rules change / edit.
Done. Thanks for the suggestion.