The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 12:18pm
Esteemed Participant

NCAA-W Experimental Mechanics

Just got the bulletin for the experimental mechanics to be used in all NCAA -W summer camps...two changes (and these should put a crimp in those of you who say NCAA-W is trying to be too much like the NBA):

1)Trail's primary coverage area will include all 3 point shots from their side of the court. T's area now goes to the baseline outside the 3 pt. line...L's area is now from inside the 3 pt. line to middle of the key. (I think that's pretty much the same as NCAA-M)

2)Last second shot responsibility will be the official OPPOSITE the table, whether that is T or C...(that's the same as NFHS and NCAA-M). There will be no "lock-down" point on the game clock...

Usually these rules are used experimentally for one summer, evaluated, and then implemented or tossed the following year...so 2006 summer experiments would be implemented in 2007 - usually. I've heard rumors that these two will be implemented this winter.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I like both changes alot.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
2)Last second shot responsibility will be the official OPPOSITE the table, whether that is T or C...(that's the same as NFHS and NCAA-M). There will be no "lock-down" point on the game clock...
What is the current mechanic for this?
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Lock down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
The current mechanic is around the 6 or 7 second mark to lock down and don't rotate so the center has the clock.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
NCAA-W is C, whether he/she is tableside or not.

I worked a Regional HS play-off with two NCAA-W refs and at end of first quarter Trail opposite didn't take last shot responsibilities because he forgot about mechanic difference between NCAA-W and FED.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

rocky - thanks for the update. I'm just starting to get into camp mode, because I'm getting ready to send in a couple of applications for June camps. Geesh, it's that time already?

Does the bulletin mention anything about T covering the post play if the ball is wide on L's side? Or are they changing back to essentially HS and NCAA-M mechanics, where the L covers all their area? I do like the idea of going back to the T covering the corner, including the 3-pt. shot, as well as the sideline (I assume). And I really like the idea of the same person being responsible for the last shot, whether there's a rotation or not. Granted, most of the time, if I'm working with experienced partners it has never been an issue, but inexperienced partners tend to forget who has the last shot, especially if they were C in front of the table.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I guess they finally listened to what I've been saying here for the last 5 years. These are both excellent changes and will improve coverage in both situations.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

This is actually the mechanic in PA high school games, except many Rs in pre-game will say to lock-down at 15 or even 30 seconds, although a switch is occurring more and more to not lock down until absolutely necessary (pretty much a crew decision in pre-game).

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalreff
The current mechanic is around the 6 or 7 second mark to lock down and don't rotate so the center has the clock.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 02:11pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
rocky - thanks for the update. I'm just starting to get into camp mode, because I'm getting ready to send in a couple of applications for June camps. Geesh, it's that time already?

Does the bulletin mention anything about T covering the post play if the ball is wide on L's side? Or are they changing back to essentially HS and NCAA-M mechanics, where the L covers all their area? I do like the idea of going back to the T covering the corner, including the 3-pt. shot, as well as the sideline (I assume). And I really like the idea of the same person being responsible for the last shot, whether there's a rotation or not. Granted, most of the time, if I'm working with experienced partners it has never been an issue, but inexperienced partners tend to forget who has the last shot, especially if they were C in front of the table.
It doesn't mention anything about that...I would imagine that it's not going to change anything about that. In other words, if the L has the ball handler on the baseline(inside three-pt. line now) and there is post play on the box, the T is still going to have to cover that post play...the only change is L doesn't have to try to get out far enough to cover the ball in the deep corner.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 02:15pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
This is actually the mechanic in PA high school games, except many Rs in pre-game will say to lock-down at 15 or even 30 seconds, although a switch is occurring more and more to not lock down until absolutely necessary (pretty much a crew decision in pre-game).
Hmmm...not sure why the R would want to lock-down so early. This last season, NCAA-W went to essentially no lock-down. The L could come across any time they felt they needed to...in practice, most did use a "lockdown" at some point under 10 seconds. Most of the crews I worked with used the idea that once we were under 10 the C would give the "chest slap" signal and tell everyone they had the clock and if there was a "rotation" they still had the clock...I like the experimental mechanic better.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Most of the crews I worked with used the idea that once we were under 10 the C would give the "chest slap" signal and tell everyone they had the clock and if there was a "rotation" they still had the clock...I like the experimental mechanic better.
This is essentially what most crews are doing in PA now, and is what is being taught in camps (at least around my area) that focus on high school mechanics. There are still some Rs though that like to lock down at as many as 30 seconds, which IMHO, is retarded...if you need to rotate, then rotate. I guess it's just an opinion of whether you think getting the clock right or not being straight-lined on a drive to the basket is more important
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
This is essentially what most crews are doing in PA now, and is what is being taught in camps (at least around my area) that focus on high school mechanics. There are still some Rs though that like to lock down at as many as 30 seconds, which IMHO, is retarded...if you need to rotate, then rotate. I guess it's just an opinion of whether you think getting the clock right or not being straight-lined on a drive to the basket is more important
Now, I had always been taught that even though the crew might be "locked down" and will no longer rotate, the L will still come across and referee the play instead of leaving the C to handle all the players and the ball. If there is a turnover or basket, the L will then come back across to their orginal position as they go down the floor, so the old C will remain C, and the old T becomes the new L.

Iow, the L will still come across so there are no straight-lined plays, and the C still keeps track of the clock. "Locking down" doesn't mean staying in the same spot and keeping bad angles.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Now, I had always been taught that even though the crew might be "locked down" and will no longer rotate, the L will still come across and referee the play instead of leaving the C to handle all the players and the ball. If there is a turnover or basket, the L will then come back across to their orginal position as they go down the floor, so the old C will remain C, and the old T becomes the new L.

Iow, the L will still come across so there are no straight-lined plays, and the C still keeps track of the clock. "Locking down" doesn't mean staying in the same spot and keeping bad angles.
Like I said, this is what is just within the past couple years happening here...but there are still some guys that think that lock-down means literally to lock-down
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
I guess they finally listened to what I've been saying here for the last 5 years. These are both excellent changes and will improve coverage in both situations.
Could someone possibly even have looked that the discussion we had on the charge at the end of the LSU/Stanford game in this year's NCAA tourney?
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Could someone possibly even have looked that the discussion we had on the charge at the end of the LSU/Stanford game in this year's NCAA tourney?
I've forgotten what that was about. Got the link?