The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Ref walks off court during game

I don't believe this story was ever shared with the Forum and I've been meaning to post this link: Michigan basketball referee walked off court for right reason

A friend of mine was part of this crew and, suffice to say, it was the strangest thing that's ever happened to him in a game. While this writer does a nice job in Metro Detroit covering HS basketball, I doubt there will be many, if any, of you that agrees with this being the "right reason" to leave a game AND your crew members.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 03:24pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balbrecht View Post
...While this writer does a nice job in Metro Detroit covering HS basketball, I doubt there will be many, if any, of you that agrees with this being the "right reason" to leave a game AND your crew members.
You're right...you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that agrees with the official's actions or the writer's opinion. By walking off, he hung EVERYBODY else involved out to dry. If he didn't have the stones to take care of business and do his job, he never should have accepted the assignment. To compound the matter, the official's comment at the end of the article: "In retrospect, did I do the right thing and would I do it again? Yeah, I would walk off again."

"Coward" is the word that comes to mind here.

As for the writer...in what universe is there a "right reason" for abandoning your responsibility in the middle of a game (and leaving your crew hanging)??? In his case, the word "idiot" comes to mind.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Aug 07, 2015 at 03:58pm.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 06:39pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
You're right...you'll be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that agrees with the official's actions or the writer's opinion. By walking off, he hung EVERYBODY else involved out to dry.
No argument there. As an independent contractor, my opinion is one agrees to officiate the game from start to finish. Leaving early is a breach of that contract/promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balbrecht View Post
While this writer does a nice job in Metro Detroit covering HS basketball (...)
Living in the paper's coverage area, I'll admit I'm familiar with both the sportswriter and the coach from my statistician days.

I wasn't at the game, so I can't comment on what happened. Still, a lot of the writer's articles during the past few sports seasons appear to go out of their way to portray game officials in a negative light . That makes it difficult for me to read his columns.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Fri Aug 07, 2015 at 06:42pm.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 06:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yeah, that was very improper. Unless he was injured or got sick that should have never happened. He should have just T'd up everyone like in "Forget Paris" and called it a day.

The problem is that we act like giving a T is such a bad thing and we act as if we have to always talk people off the ledge with their behavior. Instead of doing this, he cracked and walked away. That never should have happened no matter how frustrated he got.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be curious to know what the official's status is for this year or whether he received any more games following that one last season. If I was his assignor I'd find it tough to put him on the court again.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 07:46pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I'd be curious to know what the official's status is for this year or whether he received any more games following that one last season. If I was his assignor I'd find it tough to put him on the court again.
If I saw his name on my schedule next season, that would be a game I would decline or call the assignor and asked to be switched.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 08:22pm
Official Fiveum Member

I think the sentence in that story that indicates the most about how wrong it was for him to leave was: "Strong knows what he did was outrageous, but he felt he had no other option."

No other option?

He had lots of options, at least according to the rules - warnings, Ts, ejections, etc.

Here's an off the wall question: what if he had been working two-person?
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

There are a few reasons why I would walk off the court in a game. Safety issues, game management refusing to comply with a request of mine, "wreck" league nonsense I don't get paid enough to deal with (you get the gist).

This issue does not come remotely close to justifying walking off the court.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 08:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Forfeit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
There are a few reasons why I would walk off the court in a game.
If I ever decided to walk off the court, it would only be immediately after I said the word "forfeit", and my partner would be walking off into the sunset with me.

NFHS 2-5-4: The referee shall: May declare the game a forfeit when conditions warrant.

NFHS 5-4-1: The referee shall forfeit the game if a team refuses to play after
being instructed to do so by any official. The referee may also forfeit a game if
any player, team member, bench personnel or coach fails to comply with any
technical-foul penalty, or repeatedly commits technical-foul infractions or other
acts which make a travesty of the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 08, 2015 at 08:04am.
Old Fri Aug 07, 2015, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Man oh man-I could only imagine what would happen if I walked off a volleyball court in the middle of a match like he did.I hope his assignor pulled his remaining assignments because that was an entirely unprofessional action.He should not be out there representing his association if that's how he will act.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sat Aug 08, 2015, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Another case where the official is more worried about the post-game ramifications of what he should call rather than taking care of business during the game when he was charged to do so.

States need to drop these automatic suspension rules. Let the officials file a report after a disqualification or ejection and somebody else can determine whether a suspension is truly warranted and for how long.
Old Sat Aug 08, 2015, 03:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Another case where the official is more worried about the post-game ramifications of what he should call rather than taking care of business during the game when he was charged to do so.

States need to drop these automatic suspension rules. Let the officials file a report after a disqualification or ejection and somebody else can determine whether a suspension is truly warranted and for how long.
I do not know if that was the issue or would be the issue. I have no problem with automatic suspensions for getting ejected. There are a lot of officials that have no problem giving Ts and ejecting coaches and players when need be. Also if you do something incorrect, any decision can be reversed in my experience.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 08, 2015, 03:57pm
AremRed

"The situation came to a head when [winning coach] asked [referee] if he could have the same access to the court as [losing coach], who was ignoring the limits of the coaching box."

Are we sure this needs a tech?

Last edited by AremRed; Sun Aug 09, 2015 at 02:17am. Reason: Corrected which coach was which
Old Sat Aug 08, 2015, 05:09pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know if that was the issue or would be the issue. I have no problem with automatic suspensions for getting ejected. There are a lot of officials that have no problem giving Ts and ejecting coaches and players when need be. Also if you do something incorrect, any decision can be reversed in my experience.

Peace
In the City of Angels (LA) public league...If a coach is ejected..the game is over and coach automatically sits for next game too. Second Ejection in same season..Coach is done for the year..bye bye
Old Sat Aug 08, 2015, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
"The situation came to a head when [losing coach] asked [referee] if he could have the same access to the court as [winning coach], who was ignoring the limits of the coaching box."
The scenario was exactly the opposite, wasn't it?

Not saying either scenario should result in a T, just want to make sure I'm understanding the real scenario properly.

Regardless of how it turned out, can you imagine just how out of hand the losing coach (Stone) was to even warrant this impromptu stoppage and summit? Sounds like he was ranting, raving, generally acting a fool and making a mockery of things with his behavior to the point the winning coach finally said, "So I guess I can walk all over the court and raise hell every trip too?"

Nothing, however, justifies one member of a crew walking out on his partner(s) and leaving him/them holding the bag.