The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Team walks off court - is this OK?

I'm a rookie working with a veteran official that calls an intentional foul just as the first half ends. Thus there is no time left on the clock. Two shots. My partner administers.

The opposing team coach calls his players over and walks off the court to the locker room while the opponent is shooting the 2 foul shots.

At halftime my partner says that I shouldn't have let them leave for the locker room.

Another official (next game) overhears the conversation and tells my partner that he is incorrect. A team can walk to the locker room because the half is technically over. No time on the clock.

Who's right?
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
The half is not over until all play associated with the period have been concluded, thus until all FT's have been shot.

As long as they don't disconcert the shooter and are behind the 3pt arc, what is the big deal.

But your Vet Part was correct

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:16pm
In Time Out

I've seen it before when the team walks off with no time left at halftime. Don't really see the problem
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
The half is not over until all play associated with the period have been concluded, thus until all FT's have been shot.

As long as they don't disconcert the shooter and are behind the 3pt arc, what is the big deal.

But your Vet Part was correct
Excellent answer.