The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
94 year old gets 2 walks in a Minor League Game

Tops that other dude who struck out by a decade for oldest person in pro baseball.

This stuff is getting rediculous. I know it has nothing to do with umpiring, but I thought some may enjoy it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/n...ory?id=2523029
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:56pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Tops that other dude who struck out by a decade for oldest person in pro baseball.

This stuff is getting rediculous. I know it has nothing to do with umpiring, but I thought some may enjoy it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/n...ory?id=2523029
Come on Tuss, this is Buck O'Neil for cryin' out loud! They just were honoring him for his tremendous career in baseball. He's a living legend, especially in Kansas City, and I think it was a very nice thing to honor him while he's still alive. Too often, we wait until after someone is dead to start appreciating their many contributions.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

"Bordering on gimmick"? Come on, this was gimmick squared. Bill Veeck would be proud. Especially with the trade that allowed him to "bat" again.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Steve - I'm all for honoring people who deserve it. He does deserve it.

Remember 99 All Star game at Fenway with Teddy Ballgame? That was honoring someone.

This was just an attempt to get fannies in the seats. Buck deserves the Hall-of-Fame, but this is just too much. Have him throw out the first ball or do a pregame thing for him. Trading him inbetween innings for 2 walks? Absurd. Even more absurd, the umpire allowed 5 balls, not 4!
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 11:47pm

Yes, and if Williams could have jumped out of his wheelchair and swung a bat, it would have been a helluva show, too.

Bill Veeck put Eddie Gaedel in the batter's box. That was a gimmick, DG.

I do think that the KC T-Bones should have sprung for uniform pants. Buck looked like me playing LL Minors in the 60's with his shirt & jeans look.

Was it cheesy? Yeah, sure it was. But at least it wasn't Disco Demolition, or softball style unis with short pants (a very embarrassing time for us Sox fans!).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

The point was to publicize his Hall of Fame case. They put 17 people from the Negro Leagues into the Hall in May, and skipped Buck for some reason, or for no reason, probably.
Quote:
"This is special, very special," O'Neil said after his second at-bat. "I've been in baseball 70 years. This is how I made my living. And here I am at 94 with a bat in my hand."
TussAgee, I respect you for defending the integrity of the Northern League All-Star Game, but I'll tell you what: If I had known it was going to happen, I'd have paid five hundred dollars for a seat and driven the three hundred miles to get there.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

It was at an All-Star Game, not the regular season. All-Star Games are for the fans' enjoyment, and have no bearing on the season. Except for the boobs in charge of MLB.

Bob
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Bill Veeck put Eddie Gaedel in the batter's box. That was a gimmick, DG.
What do you think "Bill Veek would be proud" means. If they want to honor him let him throw out the first ball. Heck, the President of the United States gets to do that every now and then